The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:59 pm 
City Slicker

Favourite food: Full English Brkfast
Machine type: AW1600
If I'm repeating common knowledge I apologise

I use a condenser poined at my twelfth fret about 18 inches to 2 feet away.

Then copy your track to another track and pan them hard left and right.

Then apply a delay (edit to 25ms) to one track and play with the intensity on the delay and hear your guitar fatten up.

The book I got this tip from says to put a 50ms delay on one track and a 25ms on the other and that works well too but I find just one delay on one track works fine.

hope this helps someone

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Yes I do that all the time; albeit that the delay is somewhat smaller (+/- 10 ms). It obviously depends on the situation and also on what you're trying to achieve.

Delay on both tracks doesn't really seem helpful to me unless they meant that there were other tracks with other instruments that are not delayed.

Anyhow, thanks for posting. It doesn't matter wether or not it is actually new. To me it isn't but to others it may very well be new. Besides, info that is spread more often is easier to find.

Last but not least, a new topic is a new opportunity for drivel that may very well turn into cheese.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:43 am 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
Quote:
a new opportunity for drivel that may very well turn into cheese.

terrible imagery there Robbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:16 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
See? :lol:

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:05 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
25ms. is quite a bit.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:33 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I agree that 25 ms is quite a bit of a delay for this purpose. I tend to most often calculate the delay settings I use in relation to the tempo( bpm - beats per minute) of the song
- for e.g. 30 000 (ms)/ bpm = delay (ms). will give 2 delays per measure. Cut this number in half again for a more frequent delay. Keep halfing it until you get a number that is in the teens, and that is the number I'd try first for the delay purpose you describe. I do believe you would get to this number for a 4/4 time sig by calculating 1875 (ms) / bpm = delay (ms) .

rather than editing the delay out of a copy of the track. i sometimes copy the track and set up the EFF I wish to use in Send/Return mode, with the setting for the copy of the guit trac set to PreFader. then with the track fader all the way down - dial in the amount of the delayed signal you want to hear in the mix with the virtual dial on the send return screen. Pan the output of the EFF, and control the high and low pass filters, to place it where you want it in the stereo field.

Geno posted a handy delay calculator program some time ago that a search would probably turn up.

The effect I need some help with is the usefulness and setting up of a multi-tap delay. Any experts out there? Is the LCR delay preset (Left-Center-Right) a "multi-tap" delay?

Setting and controling decay time and overall intensity of the effect are quite important settings too when looking for the "proper" delay for your song. If it is a big acoustic space you are trying to emulate you might not want the exact number as described, but rather some random number that is pleasing to your ears. If it is a reverb type of effect - don't forget the early reflections setting too.

Sorry for rambling - Please correct me for any misinformation I may be spreading here.

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 pm 
City Slicker

Thanks for the tip on 25ms being too much, I shall experiment further.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:36 pm 
City Slicker

Oh and Byron,

that send/return thing for the EFF that you mentioned, does that mean that I can have one EFF sending reverb to all channels and EFF 2 sending a delay to all channels, cos the manual suggests that this is possible but I can't seem to make it make it happen

and if that is possible are the channels individually editable so that I could have 40% reverb on track 1 and 25% reverb on track 2?

I do so hope so, it would save me so much time as I pretty much only use reverb and delay.

fingers crossed

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:41 pm 
City Slicker

Setting and controling decay time and overall intensity of the effect are quite important settings too when looking for the "proper" delay for your song. If it is a big acoustic space you are trying to emulate you might not want the exact number as described, but rather some random number that is pleasing to your ears. If it is a reverb type of effect - don't forget the early reflections setting too.

this is gold too, thanks Byron.

Except I can't forget the early reflections setting because I haven't a clue what it is, help.

ta

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:37 pm 
Marker Magician

Packbacker wrote:
that send/return thing for the EFF that you mentioned, does that mean that I can have one EFF sending reverb to all channels and EFF 2 sending a delay to all channels, cos the manual suggests that this is possible but I can't seem to make it make it happen

and if that is possible are the channels individually editable so that I could have 40% reverb on track 1 and 25% reverb on track 2?

Chris

Yes - Each EFF can be "inserted" to a channel or input- or - it can be used in Send - return Mode (this is used most often). If the EFF has been inserted it will show as "on" as viewed from the send screen (I think that's where). Look at the top row on the Send screen (Push EFF button to get there) If any track shows the word on then toggle to it and switch it off. The Send-Return screen then has a little virtual dial for each track. You can dial up as much or little of the eff as you want. the EFF itself is controled from the Eff>Edit screen. Most of the time you want to keep the mix balance control set to 100% in this mode.

There are a couple of additiona things that can go wrong, if you have been adjusting things randomly- so if it doesn't work for you - message back and someome will give you a heads up as to why it might not be working. but if you have not been diddling with parameters it should be in the default mode and set to go..

good luck,

the default is Post Fader - but _ I sometimes use Pre Fader, as describe in a preious post.

To review EFF>Send>set dials as to how much you want to go from each track

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
By initializing , one can undo any changes made to an effect or anything else and revert back to the default settings.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:00 am 
City Slicker

Hi again Byron and mrskygod

I've ben experimenting and I find that when I use send/return the effect of the effect is much diminished, which is why I didn't think it was working at all.

As soon as I insert the effect back into a track the reverb or whatever increases a hundredfold.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry to turn this into an effects strand.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:42 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: I like Pasta!
clivewil wrote:
Quote:
a new opportunity for drivel that may very well turn into cheese.

terrible imagery there Robbie

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: even funnier when you're drinking beer and quite intoxicated :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:31 am 
Marker Magician

Packbacker wrote:
Hi again Byron and mrskygod

I've ben experimenting and I find that when I use send/return the effect of the effect is much diminished, which is why I didn't think it was working at all.

As soon as I insert the effect back into a track the reverb or whatever increases a hundredfold.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry to turn this into an effects strand.

Chris

No, this is normal. In send return the mix balance parameter in the EFF EDIT screen is best set to 100%. When inserteted the smae effect preset may be best appreciated at a mix balance of about 10% ( depends what you want) At any rate - far below the 100% setting though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:45 pm 
City Slicker

Thanks Byron

Chris