The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Improving room sound
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:19 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: I like Pasta!
Machine type: AW1600
I was trying out several patterns on my mic, and cardioid seems to work best for me. But i decided to record a little solo in 'omni' for a try. And it gave me a VERY GOOD idea of how boxy my room sounds! In cardioid mode it sounds pretty good tho, especially with some reverb.

My question is, what can i do to make my room sound better so that all my mic patterns sound good and overall guitar sound is better. Bass traps?

I'm looking for something that you can set up and surround yourself in, like a little enclosure or something (i've seen them somewhere..), instead of setting up pads and stuff on walls, etc.

Post subject: Re: Improving room sound
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:31 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Sodding Hot Curry
Machine type: AW16G
...not sure if this is the sort of thing you're after but S.E. Electronics make something called a "reflexion" filter which is a small-ish capsule type thing (wow, that sounds technical!!). I can't copy a link to it but if you google it you should be able to see what I mean. It's basically a portable shield which is used to absorb the sound from your instrument; they do one for vocals as well which has earned good reviews. It's relatively inexpensive - might be worth checking out.
Bass traps are, as far as I know, just that - traps for reverberating bass so unless you're talking specifically about a bass guitar, they may not be what you need.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
I wonder if using cubicles (like used in the work place) would be a nice sound booth. They're filled with something and then covered in a material. I know there is a place around here who redoes banks and corporations. They take all their old furniture and resale it. Might make for a nice sound booth.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:32 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: I like Pasta!
Machine type: AW1600
Yeah thats what im looking for, a little cubicle. I've seen em somewhere! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 am 
Dude

Favourite food: green vagetables
If you want to improving room sound than you have to first convert your room in music studio and you have to also make your room sound proof. It have to also use some best instrumental music for making some best sound.