The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: M-Audio Service
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:10 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Having several M-Audio products around the studio , I considered them to be slightly a cut above average in quality. Yestrday one of the midwoofers on the left EX66 monitor developed a raspy voice all it's own. Lighty pressing on the cone , I could feel the voice coil rubbing the core. As these were demo's at Guitar Center , I bought them at a smokin deal because they had no more left. I called my guy at GC and he reminded me that floor units "officially" had no returns. He suggested I call M-Audio first and then he would decide what to do after I contacted them.

My phone call was answered promptly and I was directed to service. There I spoke to a very nice guy and explained my problem. His first question was why I didn't just return them to GC. I explained that I really liked them and that they were the last ones they and that they were display units. He said service normally took 4 to 6 weeks but I needed to fax over a copy of my sales receipt to make any kind of plan. I faxed it over and the cell phone rang 15 minutes later and that M-Audio had decided to send me a new monitor if I would agree to send the other one back on their dime. Not only did he send my replacement monitor but also included a pair of different tweeters to try out and keep as backups for my trouble.

Just wanted to toot M-Audio's excellant customer service. Wished I could say the same for Alesis.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject: Re: M-Audio Service
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:02 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Nice to know somebody still cares. 8)

When my Wharfedale monitor started distorting I had to ship it to Florida on my dime for warranty service. Cost $18. They couldn't find anything wrong with it (don't know how they could've missed the obvious problem) and shipped it back on my dime again - cost $29, same carrier and same packaging. I guess it's just more expensive to ship north?

When I called customer service and pointed out they didn't fix the problem, the gent told me he'd see what he could do and would call me back. Never heard from him. However, a few days later Fedex showed up looking to pick up a package. Apparently, they decided to pick up my unit and ship me a replacement. Just never bothered to tell me what the plan was. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 pm 
G-crazy

M-Audio's been good to me, too, responding nicely to the one small problem I had. My best service experience, thus far, has been with the Studio Projects mic company--those guys are operating at the highest level of customer care. I always consider a company's service when I buy more gear, so Yam, M-Audio, and SP are all on my repeat-buy list.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:28 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

My new monitor arrived today. :shock: Make that two. They are replacing both and also sent my upgraded tweeters yesterday. I'll be up late repacking the old ones to send back as quickly as they sent the replacements. I may just hold off replacing the tweeters for now. I'm not really sure I can hear the difference but having a spare pair is cool.

msg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:45 am 
G-crazy

You're a lucky guy. I've read nothing but good about those monitors, and I read a lot.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:06 pm 
NEWBIE OF THE MONTH!

Favourite food: steak
does anyone have an Idea on how to solve my latency problem?

Yep , go into Sonar > Options > Audio > Advanced and select te ASIO driver instead of the MME or WKM drivers.
If all you get is silence , then you need to download the ASIO driver from M-Audio and install it. Then go back and select the ASIO driver again. That outa get the latency to around 20 ms. or so. If you can't deal with that then sell yer stuff and go firewire. I posted a bargain dealer selling the CME UX firewire capable controller on E-Bay. At last count he had 3 left for $150 each. The UX series is now discontinued but dealers are blowing them out. The add on firewire board is being sold by Guitar Center online for half price. So $250 in hardware will get you 5-6 ms. of latency plus you get an audio / mide interface . Sdif in/out , two headphone outs and two pretty fair line / mic preamps (no phantom power though). Excellant metal cased controller. Built like a tank and works like a watch.

USB is just too slow to handle modern soft synths in Sonar from my experiance.

Hope that helps some.

msg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:54 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Go with an ASIO driver and use firewire instead of USB if possible.