The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:46 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:50 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
I've been playing around with this cool VST all day. All that know me here are aware of my fondness for mellotrons. Until now I've been using megasample tron voices in my Yamaha ES keyboard. GForce M-Tron VST Mellotron Plug-In can be used as either a stand alone or hosted plugin. It detected and loaded into my Sonar PE6 automatically. The sounds are simply amazing. Instead of looping the eight seconds of samples like my Hammond Dave patches do GForce sets them up to play the entire eight seconds of tape and then stop , just like a real tron. Each note is sampled individually so all the nuances , mistakes , etc. are there. This all contributes to the uniqueness of this instrument. There are a dozens of choirs , strings , horns , accordians and even a mandolin set of "tapes". Also included are the funky and sometimes cheesy rythum patches. Also a couple of sound effect banks are also sampled.

Pros.............
Easy to install (4 disks)
Scores of tape samples
Each note of each tape is sampled from start to finish and reflect a newly serviced M400 with some tape wear.
Windows or Mac
An added feature to take the place of the swell pedal is attack / release sliders.
The volume , tone and pitch knobs can be assigned to the controller via midi
Sounds wonderful

Cons.............
It's hard to play well, just like a real one.
The three voice selecter switch does not function as a real tron. Instead it switches between a pop up patch selection screen and a very crude patch editor
There is no foldback of the choir voices as the original. instead the higher or lower keys are silent instead of folded back.
The key manual functions exactly the same as the original. I stick business cards between the high and low dead keys on my 61 note controller to remind myself of the limited octaves available.
There are no on board effects so these must be inserted or added during mixdown.(The original didn't either)
Patches must be selected by a hidden screen that is right clicked by the mouse. Still the samples are available instantly instead of having to be loaded by the slow processor in the ES.

I give it a 4.5 outa 5 on the MSG scale.

If you want more than a couple of tron sounds this is the hot ticket.

Much cheaper and easier to move than real M400. (Stays in tune too)

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:38 am 
G-crazy

Machine type: AW16G
Gotta love that sound, Geno. I can't play keyboards worth a lick, but the original mellotron sounds (strings, choirs) have always made my heart beat faster, ever since hearing Genesis' Watcher of the Skies" in a small Detroit theater. Damn that was good--such a unique sound. I'm glad there are good options besides those old, unstable units.

Just wondering, have you heard the Yamaha MM-6's mellotron samples? That's a pretty cheap little unit that may find its way into my tiny studio some day, just for simple backing tracks. I haven't heard the Yam but have read that it talks basic mellotronese.

Thanks for the great review~
J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:51 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

I have not heard the MM6 tron patches. The ES only had one factory "tron" patch called Tape Strings if memory serves. it rated a 9.6 on my suckometer. The best non multisampled tron patches I have heard are on the E-Mu Vintage Keys rack synth. They also have great Rhoads sounds as well. M-Tron will work stand alone with any controller or keyboard with a midi out. I also have a multisampled soundset from Mike Pinder but it was frought with bugs and is almost as unstable as a real M-400 in a rainstorm with 10 keys pressed, I don't think he sells it anymore.

msg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:56 pm 
G-crazy

Machine type: AW16G
Thanks. I watched an hour-long Moog special, which included interviews with Rick Wakeman and lots of others, last night on a cable channel. Very interesting. Wakeman called the mini-Moog the greatest single achievement in modern keyboards, but no mention of Mellotrons.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:10 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Bob Moog was definately inovative with the Mini Moog but Dave Smith's Prophet series is right up there as well. Then Yamaha blew everbody out with FM synthesis in the 80's. I still use a DX-7 and a Korg D-50 unit to this day. They are so complicated that very few people are experts on them even to this day. They make such delightful sounds that are not reproduced by even modern wavetable synthesis.