The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Fender Jaguar Special
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:51 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
My third guitar was a used Fender lake placid blue Jaguar I bought second hand from a guy down the street whose band broke up. I scrimped and saved 6 months to finally buy his guitar. Not knowing much about guitars at the time in 1964 , I just thought if I bought the top of the line Fender at the time , I would play better. I was fairly disapointed soon after because the pickups would squeel like an open mic when I stood to close too the amp. Giving up on "surf" music anyway , I played a used Gibson SG at the local music store and traded even with $25 boot , knowing I got the best deal. I played Gibsons ever since. A Byrdland , 335 , '68 Gold Top LP with P-90s were among my favorites.

I"ve been looking at Jaguars again seriously becauseof the 24 inch scale length. They play like butter but I hated the pickups and that stupid mute and horrible tremolo tailpiece. Fender of Japan has solved all that in the Jaguar Special. It comes with a tuneomatic bridge and a stop tailpiece like a Gibson. (Wished they made a string thru version) The darn thing plays like butter and 1 and a half steps string bends are effortless. It stays in tune unlike the original version. I really don't miss the trem as I wanted another blues guitar anyway. The Fender humbuckers also totally change the sonic charactor of this Jag version from the original. It's not as bright as the original but has a creamy tone much like a Gibson LP Junior. I elected to change the pickups to Burstbuckers and now it's even better. Crafted in Japan is a good deal nowdays IMO. This is the 3rd CIJ Fender I own and honestly I can not tell the difference in quality from it's USA counterpart. The neck , a B width and a fairly flat radius are especially nicely finished and fitted. The chrome hardware looks very good too.

All in all the pros...........
Quality of construction
Excellant factory setup
Humbuckers
Short scale length
Balance
Excellant sustain
Tunomatic bridge

And the bad ......
Typical confusing Jaguar switches and controls
Scale length might be too short for big hands
Lower bout location of the strap knob. (Strongly suggest straplocks)
Difficulty finding a case. (strat and tele cases are too narrow)
The USA and CIJ pickgards won't interchange. So if you wanna change scratchplates be sure to get the CIJ version and you'll need to alter it for the 'buckers.
Only one color choice.........black.

I really am into Gibson/Fender design clones. I still like my Blueshawk and the 3 'bucker strat I made but Fender did it right on this one.

I gotta give it 4.5 MSG stars.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:41 am 
Tinhorn

absolutely amazing msg. my second guitar was a fender jazzmaster.

I couldn't play at all when I started 30 years ago or so. it was like I had 2 left hands.
gave the jazzmaster back to the friend who gave it to me (a long time ago, along with a seagull acoustic 12 string as thanks).
got a nephew who I'm mentoring now. he'd really dig the heck out of your guitar workshop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:17 pm 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
Machine type: AW16G
great review msg
in the past 4 days ive gone from wanting my american made blonde board white on cream stratocaster to the light blue, blonde board tele and your jag1
go figya