The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:43 pm 
G-crazy

Machine type: AW16G
I was looking around my studio late last night and realized how much Yamaha gear I have--and how happy I've been with it. If you're new to the recording game, I offer a simple suggestion: to include a Yamaha choice in whatever you're auditioning for purchase. Without making a conscious effort to do so, my own road has often led to the Yam group, time after time.

Here's a quick rundown of the good Yam stuff I've been using:

THE G
No need to say more.

RBX-170 BAS GUITAR
My favorite of everything I auditioned, including Ibanez, in the $200 range. The good clear tone, comfortable body style, and lack of fret buzz were impressive in such a cheapo model.

DD-65 DRUM MODULE
For space-challenged studios and non-drummer musicians who want to play and are able to play (with sticks and pedals) their drum parts, this newly released model is a great choice. No direct competition in its price range. Good stereo samples, a small footprint, and no programming needed. And just $200. Amazing.

PSRE-403 KEYBOARD
Hundreds of good samples, a pitch-bend wheel, an arpegiator, and two real-time control knobs that allow the user to tweak about 10 parameters (filter, resonsance, etc.). All for $200. A steal for non-keyboarders who just need some solid backing parts.

FG -345 ACOUSTIC GUITAR
I've had this low-end puppy since the 70s, and while many other higher-end guitars have come and gone, I just can't part with it. It's definitely not the best at anything special, but it's blend of playability, tone, road-worthiness, and sentimental value have made it hard to part with. I probably never will. I've certainly gotten my 200 bucks' worth and then some.

Each of these items has very obvious limitations and obviously can't compare to the high-end competition, but I do notice a consistent pattern of excellent value for dollar spent. I've also yet to have a major problem with any piece of Yamaha gear.

No, I don't work for Yam and don't want to, but I do like its stuff when money is tight.

Just my three cents on a Saturday morn~
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:06 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I used to have a Yamaha when I was young. Over one hundred miles to the gallon.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:55 am 
Red Wax Eater

Favourite food: chinese
Machine type: AW1600
Robbie wrote:
I used to have a Yamaha when I was young. Over one hundred miles to the gallon.

A Fizzie ! Now that brings back memories. When I taught motorcycling most of most students had Fizzies (Yamaha FS1E ). They used to scream (the Fizzie not the student) , but go nowhere. Yes thinking about Yamaha my first Bike was a yamaha RD250. When I started racing they were mainly Yamaha . RD 250 or 350 LC (Liquid cooled) in the production class and Yamaha TZ (special race only models) in the open class. I actually raced an ex work Honda that I bought of the works rider at the end of the season.......
Ahh memories. And actually my acoustic I have had for about 20 years is a Yamaha FG 461S. A really nice acoustic.........

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:56 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Mine was orange btw and it could do about 50 mph. And, clumsy as I am, I was able to do the repairs myself.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm 
Red Wax Eater

Favourite food: chinese
Machine type: AW1600
They were restricted to 30 mph here , and for that reason deadly. But most kids put in bigger jets and expansion chambers to get is to about 50. The noise was deafening. It really upset old ladies !!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:34 pm 
Tinhorn

I drove a PF88 for a long time as my main keyboard axe. it got me through real good for years. I lived in an attic apartment so a real piano was not an option.am beyond thrilled with the aw1600. it's changed my life for the better a billion fold. before purchasing real pianos (vacated the attic a while back), I bought a yam dgx-505. no one would mistake it for a real piano sound on the low end keys live in person.......but........it records well..........and some of the synth sounds are really good.......electric pianoish......sax.......yeah I agree, I like yamaha alot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:44 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Yamaha makes great stuff. I still have an EM150 mixer/amp that dates back to the mid 70's. My other Yamaha's include a Motif ES synth , a pair of NS-10s, the 16G , and two AW4416s. All of these have functioned as designed flawlessly.

I always wanted a Yamaha grand piano. They were always out of my budget.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:20 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: cold milk
I whole heartedly agree. I banged my head against every magazine ad, internet review and retail show room floor. And then I stopped doing that.

Now I am wonderfully lost in a world of music I have never known before.

MOTIF XS and O1X plus a few other toys but the dynamicDuo was totally worth the $2800.

Next toy WILL be Tyros 3. Period. By the way Yamaha makes THAT too ;;grin;;

;;cheers;;

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:18 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
What will a Tyros 3 do that the XS won't. They do look very cool all lit up though.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: cold milk
Hiya MSG !

the MOTIF XS became as good as it is BECAUSE of Mega Voice technology and Super Articulation voices, both which are Tyros technologies. Thanks to the XS having so much Tyros XA, it goes without saying it is not only a very capable music production synth, but it sounds really good too and although you can tweak everything til your hearts content, there isn't much need to for a huge library of sounds you'll want to use "just as they are".

still, from the perspective of SOUNDS/samples, and LIVE playing PERFORMANCE, the Tyros2, reigns. You wouldn't think so because it is only a 61 key "arranger synth" but the fact remains is the Tyros2 keyboard in itself is yet ANOTHER technology trick up its Tyros sleeve. Completely redesigned specifically to control and make use of all of its Mega Voice, SA, XA and playing paraters, the Tyros2 keyboard was redesigned from the ground up and is a VERY nice non-balanced hammer keyboard--even better than the MOTIF XS. However, thanks to the Tyros2, the MOTIF XS also got a much better keyboard than the previous MOTIF ES. They are NOT the same keyboards. But playing an XS and playing a Tyros2 is like playing my Korgi3 and playing the MOTIF XS, it is a night and day comparison. Ultimately, I would like to see Tyros3 ship with the HDD pre-installed, at least 1GB sample RAMM pre-installed and the "arranger workstation" come with 88 balanced hammer keyboard, along with any NEW and additional improvements and technological advances the Tyros3 will possess.

I know it may seem like i did not answer your question. But the aforementioned information ALONE are things the XS doesnt do. Additionally, the Tyros2 and T3 when it comes, is an arranger workstation which provides what I call "on deck" dedicated controls. Just like the MOTIF XS has 8 faders, 8 rotary encoders and buttons such as OCTAVE "on the deck" the Tyros has even more buttons "on the deck" that are truly a blessing, not only when playing during live performance, but even composing music. it also speeds up operations because you don't have to piece so much together but rather play parts out of the can per se. Some folks think this is canned music. But if intelligently applied, you would not distinguish Tyros arrangements to sound like something someone threw together on a Casio. And i dont say this meaning the samples sound great but the intro, fills and endings make it sound like band_in_a_box either.

another example: my Korg i3 is a MIDI_monster_controller... all of its dedicated "arranger workstation" buttons are MIDI generators which i am in the process of tying them up to the MOTIF XS so i can use the i3's ingenious "deck controls" to contro the MOTIF XS's wonderful sound library and arps. The i3 has a transpose up on the deck, which works in ANY mode, including backing sequences and running external MIDI devices. the MOTIF XS isn't bad, if i want on_the_fly_transpose ability then its 2 button presses but i MUST leave that screen up to make changes. why Yamaha didnt just put a transpose button up, "on the deck" is beyond me. anyway...

Tyros can create on_the_fly music much faster than MOTIF XS due to its deck controls. also, with an OS that is designed to record 16 tracks to onboard HDD, its faster to throw a song together, save it and bam you got your WAV file.

Now don't get me wrong. on the MOTIF XS [providing you have sample RAM installed] anything you record, mix and contruct in the XS you can mix to a stereo WAV via the sampler and shoot out to 10/100 LAN, firewire mLAN, USB SD etc., so that provides a fast way to get a finished WAV to the PC for upload, etc. But composing from scratch on the XS is just different than the TYROS. They both have extremely different REAL purposes, but if you're a real musician, songwriter and performer, i think it would be weird if you didnt want both of them and for the same reasons that i do.

The MOTIF XS has 16 track sequencer, 16 track multi-timbral soundcard per se, you have 16 SECTIONS per track, so for pattern recording you have 256 parts that can used and mixed within 16 tracks in the mixer. but thats not all. then you have 5 SCENES which can contain, in essense have 5 variations or totally different songs for that matter, based on the same 16x16 math so now you have 1,280 parts that can utilized, mixed and shot out to stereo WAV via the mixer and sampler.

I am finding the XS to very powerful to learn for yourself THE ORDER you begin constructing a song. you can start with PATTERN and still work in SONG mode and ping pong whichever way works best, but i feel that the XS truly is best to construct pieces of songs via PATTERNS, SECTIONS and SCENES. So in real practice its nice there is a real time SONG mode to record linear music and have access TO patterns and arpeggios, because that works too. but i am constructing songs from years ago and its not the songwriting that is any issue, its the ARRANGEMENT that is in my head that i am duplicating by creating all of these SECTIONS in pattern mode. once done, then you can "live" play any section in any order, OR you can record a CHAIN of them and as stated before shoot those out as a mix.

once you arrive at that state, THEN it becomes paramount to use Cubase4 where you can press two buttons and transfer all data including any raw samples that were recorded, which gets shot via USB or mLAN to the PC/MAC to be mixed down or continued with on the computer. i like having the capability of creating some nice little arrangement and burn that to gorgeous stereo WAV totally within the XS without a computer, only to resample to WAV in order to use it on the PC for some other purpose.

as for DAW with the XS, i would much prefer to simply work with Tracktion3 with the O1X running the show. its a matter of work style.

but again, getting back to the initial, seemingly simple question, it isnt so simple. but the truth is Tyros is still the SOUND KING in the Yamaha lineup. Period. Also, its "playability" and "live performance" is still better than XS if you can possibly imagine THAT. But is playing the XS grand piano on an XS 88 better than Tyros? Of course because of the new revolutionary balanced hammer keyboard along with FC3 half damping which works very nicely even on my 61 key XS.

My studio space in this 26 foot RV didnt allow for a 76 key let alone an 88. otherwise i would merely have jumped for the XS-8 to begin with. no complaints here. but i just want you to know that i have researched and played both the Tyros line and the XS and understand both of their characters and dominating features.

What might take you 30 minutes to throw together EASILY on the XS, you could do LIVE on the Tyros. But, if you were going to spend 6 months constructing a rock symphony including a 64 piece orchestra, you would be hard pressed to do better than using a MOTIF XS. This is even including compared to a Korg OASIS. yes the XS kicks karma's hiney. Yamaha did their homework and it has paid off and they will continue to improve the user interface and song construction methods so singers, songwriters and pot-luck musicians alike, can produce glorious music.

it's complicated--but its really easy once you learn the steps. but i will say the XS has a very intuitive method. i have 3 video courses which i have studied even before i purchased my XS. same goes for the O1X. i also have PDFs and other educational materials that i study when i am not using the XS and this has helped to accelerate learning everything i have been talking about.

just now i am getting to jacking the TC-Helicon vocal processor into the XS for recording live 5 part harmonies into the sampler while listening to at least 1 click-track in SONG mode on the XS. this is very cool stuff. whereas it is my intention to actually produce finished, polished and well mixed recordings, i expect to spend most of 2008 fiddling and demo-ing around before i dive into full production recording. When you're wearing all of the hats, this stuff takes a lot of time. You know... look at all of the gear you have!! Wow, i was looking at "your_chart" the other day... jeeze you have some nice gear from the good ole days. i think the Melotron would be my favorite real thing. Sure, you can plug it now and emulate pretty good, but like pedal steel guitar, nothing beats the real thing.

Tyros can do tons of live arrangement CONTROL that the MOTIF XS cannot. The XS has control of FIVE dedicated arps and thats it. But arpeggios are handy because they are not "canned auto-rhythms" they are arps, which IS different. But, i feel most user who begin liking arps to use live (other than for song creation and song creation ideas) will find themselves WISHING for INTRO, FILL and ENDING arpeggio dedicated buttons up "on_the_deck".

In my particular scenario, connecting the Korg i3 to the XS and patching a few of the MIDI channels, params, etc., gives me tremendous MIDI control over the XS, including, INTROS, FILLS and ENDINGS. also, the styles and percussion arrangements, which are MIDI, that Korg wrote into the i3 "are excellent and sound sweet driving the XS samples". i also have the 5_button_foot_pedal for the i3 which helps a lot when your hands are busy up top. so for now, the i3 is giving me "kinda like Tyros power" because of the i3's prominent arranger workstation dedicated MIDI control buttons "up_on_deck" i cannot stress this enough.

What can XS do that the Tyros2 can't?? The Tyros has a 16 track sequencer for recording directly to HDD, but you don't have access TO nor can you control "1,280 parts AND you don't have a dedicated built-in 16-channel mixing board to mix down everything you have constructed in the Tyros. So on one hand the Tyros wins and on the other hand the XS wins.
And quite frankly, i wont truly be happy from a song construction, arranging, mixing mode, until BOTH the Tyros and XS blend into being ONE workstation. And I believe this is going to happen in the coming 2 to 3 years. And if it doesnt, that will be shame.

;;cheers;;

hey i'm blogging http://happyharry.net/blog/