The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Godin LGXSA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:07 am 
Red Wax Eater

Favourite food: chinese
Machine type: AW1600
OK have posted the pics under related equipment , but how does it play , etc.

Before doing this my friends tell me I'm very picky when it comes to guitars.

Fit /Finish/ Quality control = 9.7 Top notch , in fact has less faults than my PRS from new. The only flaw is a tiny bit if bad fitting on an inlay. Otherwise 100%

Feel = Chunky fat neck with 16 " radius . The finish on the neck is very smooth and nice to the touch , and your hand seems to glide with no stickiness. Nice Ebony fingerboard , well finished frets (again better finished than those on my PRS). Neck 10.0

Body shape = Bit odd looking , with the top horn area looking look a cross between a LP and a tele. Not as nice to cuddle up to as the PRS, and not as well balanced on the strap as either my Gibson or PRS. There has been a lot of body shaping though , with unusual concave shaping to the top.

Machines = very smooth and accurate. 10.0

Keeping tune = No problems here 10.0

Electrics = Pots/ switchgear all feel top quality

Sound = Guitar . Fairly bright , does not have the mellow or rich sounds of the PRS and Gibson.
Not unpleasant , just different. Same with the coil tapped sounds , not a fender sound but fine all the same. The PUP are Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and Seymour Duncan Custom at the bridge. To be honest I have to say it sounds like a .... Godin. It has it's own sound As I am lucky enough to have a fine Gibson and a PRS that's fine by me.

Sound = Peizo . OK not very "acoustic" might be better through an acoustic amp. The three tone controls are perhaps the worst thing on the guitar. But if you fiddle around you can get something reasonable.

Synth = 100% spot on with tracking

Mixed sounds = Ahh now we are talking. As you have seperate controls for each you can mix the sound of each to your hearts content. In particular the mix between the Peizo and the PUP's open a new world of sound. From a Rickenbacker jangle , to what I can only call "Big" sound. Fingerpicking with the Peizo with a touch of single coil bridge . The when you start adding synth as well ....... I am going to spend months playing with this

Overall.

I would say one of the guitar worlds best kept secret . They are a bargain to start with , and fine clean S/H ones go for silly money. I would be happy if this had to be my only guitar..... nuff said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:11 am 
Ultra Botkiller

I'm a BIG FAN of the Godin set of guitars. I've always wanted one of their synth action guitars just so I could make the most of the Sibelius G7 software.

The G7 software is designed to create sheet music from a MIDI guitar. Great way to create sheet music and tab.

Cin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:25 pm 
Red Wax Eater

Favourite food: chinese
Machine type: AW1600
Must admit now I have the Godin , have been wondering about some software , just for that reason. Now I teach guitar I seem to spend more time writing up tab/score by hand.
What sort of interface would I need to link with a PC ?

BTW the Godin just keeps getting better as I get to know it better. At first it seemed a fairly bright tone , but I have now managed to also find a nice mellow jazzy tone as well. and with the GR20 I am in guitar heaven right now.

Music