The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:48 pm 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
The two leading notation software packages here are Finale and Sibelius. The full orchestral score versions run to $AUD900 but there are a multitude of stripped down versions for general use.

Finale Songwriter is the cheapest in their range at $AUD 79 ($USD 49). So what does it do?

You can input your notes from a midi keyboard (16 parts on 16 channels), a microphone, or directly from the PC keyboard and then edit the resulting manuscript. The good part is that, if you enter notes from the PC keyboard, it sounds the notes as you place them on the stave. When you have a few measures completed, you can then play back the manuscript at your chosen tempo so you can hear what you have written. This means you can compose directly from the PC keyboard if you want. How does it sound - a bit stilted and tinny but perfectly adequate to be sure you have entered what you thought.

You can choose a different instrument for each stave and hear it back as an arrangement if you wish.

I bought it to make lead sheets for my songs ie single stave with melody, chord names, and lyrics, that a band can follow. I intended to use a midi keyboard but it was so easy to do on the PC, I haven't gone there yet. I chose piano from the instrument list. The chords play from the names entered and the melody line plays over the top. Chord choice is almost unlimited for you extended chord experts.

I have limited notation skills but I created the first song lead sheet in 4 hours . Printed on a medium range inkjet, there are no staggered lies or fuzzy bits. Almost perfect, and much much better than hand written. The audible feedback ensures that you have written what you think you have.

It has the normal, cut, copy, paste, move, insert etc facilities.
It will add guitar chord diagrams from the chords you play or enter but I think they are all open-string inversions so of limited use. On the dearer packages, you have more choice than here.

This package would be fine for producing small group arrangements, or lead sheets for bands, choirs etc. That it does it for $USD50 is amazing.

I can explore other features for anyone who wants to know before they buy. Finale will also let you download it for 30days trial free if you want to try it at http://www.finale.com.

Highly recommended