The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Izotope Ozone
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:10 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Spish sent me a copy and I have used it enough to compose some sort of intelligent review.

I normally use Waves , and Xjaerhus Audio in my software production. Where these programs are run once for each effect or dynamic preset , several instances will need to be run if multiple tweaks are desired. The only downside of this is keeping up with all the settings windows for each track. Asymmetrical EQ bell curves are also supported.

I have used Waves software for some time and consider it in the upper echelon of processors. A direct comparison of Waves to Izotope Ozone simply would not be fair IMO.

Vintage Channel VC-64 bundled with Sonar is one of the easiest multiband compressors I have ever used. It features a two knob gate , two knob DeEsser , parallel , series and series parallel routing make the possibilities almost unlimited. A wonderful EQ can also be patched endlessly with the compressors , gates as mentioned before. It also provides almost as varied bellcurve settings as Waves. Again we are comparing apples to oranges.

Now on to Ozone. Here's my take on each processing page of the software.

The real beauty of Ozone is in it's presets and it's page simplicity. These are great starting points to tweak from. similar to Waves , Ozone provides it's own easy to use drag and drop , no knob "paragraphic EQ".

It's mastering reverb , again not to be compared to Waves or Lexicon Pantheon is usable. Handy is it's phase correlation and reverb frequency windows. What's cool is you can adjust a slot of frequencies that the reverb wet signal is mixed with the dry one. Very interesting and all in one screen.

The loudness maximizer is just a fancy name for a leveling amp but has some interesting twists. It has a handy mode switch and surprisingly cool graphic DC offset filter (which I do use in conjunction with it's built in dithering options). Nice large vertical in/out easy to see controls along with the large bright red LED looking DB display is quite nice for us older farsighted engineers to see at a distance.

The multiband exciter page is also cool. Basically it is an EQ controlled delay with the same GUI as the mastering reverb.

Multiband dynamics is nothing new but four independent EQ bands of compression are provided. Each has its own Thresh , Ratio for limiting and Compression. An set of multiband expander controls is also provided.

Multiband Stereo Imaging also allows frequency controlled widening and delay for each band. A phase meter again is provided to keep you out of trouble.

Each section has it's own bypass accessed from any page along with a master bypass.

Tons of interesting presets to get you up and running and more downloadable from the website.

Hope this helps somebody out. I really like it for what it is. It can be as simple as presets or can be tweaked for hours.

The biggest plus is that all of this can be acomplished in one instance (window) instead of the dozens required by other mastering programs.

5 Mrskygod stars !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Shack for the working demo.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject: Re: Izotope Ozone
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:48 am 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Quote:
working demo
... ist hat a euphimism for warez? :evil:

you are da master... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:26 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
Sky,
Did you notice it sort of thins the sound subtley? I can't quite put my finger on it. I love it when I'm in it, but then when I use my tried and true plugins, things tend to end up fatter. I'll have to get you a demo of T-Racks...it's pretty cool too. Really warm analog type mastering. You can review for everyone. Works good as a final fine brush to take the digital edge off.

Ok all, I'm off to Guadalajara of all places. Pretty boring there, long azzz flight all night, but the people there are a gorgeous mix of Mexican and European. Eye candy galore! Beer and Chips for me in the open air mall tomorrow.

May you all have a wonderful thanksgiving and find endless things to be thankful for. Dunno if I'll have internet there...hmmm

-= Beer a.k.a Midnightflyingwhileyousleep,ifyou'reinthestatesthatis,mofo

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:53 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
I'm certainly not abandoning my tried and true plugins either.

It's hard to find that "special" preset for any of my stuff. I do use bits and pieces of it though. I like the multiband exciter as well as the paragraphic EQ because of it's GUI simplicity.

I think Ozone is a great start for someone discovering mastering software as well as a super learning tool . The only presets I use on anything are the left hand black keys on a Hammond. :lol: Even then I usually pull the drawbars some. Too me software is just another instrument that allows creativity to come forth.

Sure , I would like to try T-Racks.

You mean they don't have internet in the pilots lounge or the weather office in Guadalajara ? O well , I love Mexican seafood and I can't think of a better place to get it.

Fly the friendly thighs........ :mrgreen:

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.