The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Akai MPC500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:35 am 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
Machine type: AW16G
http://www.akaipro.com/mpc500

I did a lot of reading up before ordering my MPC500 and the conclusion I came to was that it was advanced enough to do what I wanted but also not too complex. So far I think I was right - I've had only a few problems (navigation based) that sent me to the instruction manual. I've only had the thing for four days though, so that could change.

My first impression, above anything else, is that the thing is FUN. And I think that's how bits of music gear should be - fun. You just load up some sounds and bash away!

I am also impressed with how well made and sturdy the thing appears to be. The pictures on the Akai site don't do it justice.

Less impressive were the sounds that came with it. They were mainly rap/hiphop type sounds. I deleted them instantly, of course.

Next, I want to integrate it into my existing setup and get into sampling my own sounds.

Post subject: Re: Akai MPC500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:39 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Samplers are the coolist thing IMO. Many of my synth patch ideas lately have been involving a couple of samplers. Some software synths allow waveform importation. What's fun and gets strange quick , is to take a sample , warp the thing all outa whack and then put it back together via software. Sample again. Now things can get really strange :lol:

I think you got a good one.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:03 pm 
Wrangler

Been having fun with the thing. It samples itself, which can be interesting. There's no real ADSR, just some kind of odd attack and release type thing. There are also a few filters and a load of effects. So, I can make a sound using a combination of these things, then sample it, and then that frees up the effects for something else. One drawback (and I did know about this before I got it) is that sounds can't be played from a keyboard, merely triggered. However, the pads can be used as a type of keyboard.

One other drawback is that the sequencer won't record sysex from my JV1080s. All my other sequencers do, so it's got me foxed. I was hoping to be able to record sysex into the MPC and then transfer it to PC for storage, but it was not to be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:24 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
on the JV1080 , did you have the transmit/receive parameter set correctly ? I create hunderds of patches a month (about 25% of what I do in the studio). To prevent data loss I routinely back up all 30 or so hardware synths I own. One dead motherboard battery and everything is lost. I don't remember having any special difficulty backing it up via sysex. You may be trying to send that good old war horse's patches at a rate incompatible with the sequencer. One trick is to slow the sequencer down to about 60 BPM or less to allow for the larger sysex chunks to have time to be digested.

Most of my synths much less than half of the factory patches unmodified. Sysex is a necessary evil except for my Triton , Motif ES and Roland V-Synth which use USB to load and unload.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:36 pm 
Wrangler

Yes, I tried slowing the sequencer right down and the settings are right, but still no go. It works fine with my Yamaha RM1x sequencer, Alesis MMT8 sequncer and the Alesis Datadisk, but not the MPC500. Very odd.

I backup every song/project and I am fed up with losing data on floppies and having to make multiple backups. At the moment, I save the JV1080 sysex into the RM1x, and then save it on to floppy (which is all the RM1x has for storage, and it doesn't send sysex dumps) and then transfer it to PC. It works ok, but I just wanted to get away from floppies completely.

I'm going to look into using Midiox, but need to get an interface.