The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:28 am 
G-crazy

Machine type: AW16G
My low-end equipment doesn’t qualify me to give much of an opinion on such matters, but the ATH-M50 phones are easily the best closed cans I’ve ever used.

My trusty Senn 280s have served me well for several years, and I prefer them to the Sony 7506s and ATH-M40s that I’ve also auditioned in my studio. After reading a series of rave reviews (in Tape Op, Recording, etc.), I ordered the M50s just for comparison’s sake.

I was fairly sure I’d send them back after a listen. I never did. Simply put, the M50s are the first closed cans that I feel I can trust for rough mixing, and surprisingly, the first closed cans that make me want to listen just for enjoyment. They clearly live up the street from my old Senns, which I now use solely for tracking.

PROs
* detailed yet coherent sound that mirrors higher-end monitor speakers
* particularly impressive bass response (deep, tight) and soundstage (great imaging)
* very comfy fit, with special fake leather that’s breathable and durable

CONs
* rather short coiled cord, requiring an extension for most applications
* slightly looser fit than the Senn 280s (good or bad, depending on head size)

Speakers of any type are hard to recommend since tastes, physiology, and other equipment vary so much, but you may want to audition these if you need a pair for higher-end listening tasks. They work beautifully for me, and the price seems fair (paid $139 new, shipping included). Then again, with my mostly bargain-basement gear, what do I know?

Cheers,
J.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:34 am 
Tinhorn

have been thinking of investing in a pair....................could you tell me anything more about how comfortable they are???.....would you be happy wearing them for tracking vocals for 3 hours???????...........day after day???????

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:21 am 
G-crazy

Machine type: AW16G
Hey Muse,

I can only say that they're much more comfortable than my Senn 280s, which feel sweaty after a while. Being less tight than the Senns, which grip my head tightly, the ATs are also considerably easier to wear for longer periods. One caveat, though--I have a narrower head shape, so I actually prefer the Senns while tracking since I can walk around and even do Pete Townsend guitar slams without the cans shifting.

I think most people would like the comfort, but everyone's different.

Good luck,
J.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:36 pm 
Tinhorn

hey J.,

thanks a lot..........I've got a pair of denon ahd1000's that I like ......they've been in the shop getting fixed for 2 weeks though..........starting to wonder if I'll ever get them back...........have been using sony in-ear ear phones.......they're not bad.....nice and cheap............have been eyeing the athm50's becuz of all the raves about them..............appreciate your thoughts, Charlie