The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Generation Axe
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:45 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Italian
Machine type: AW16G
Wanted to share feedback on this show I recently saw in Cincy last month. It was in the Taft Theater, very small and good acoustics.

This show featured Steve Vai, Nuno Bettencourt, Tosin Abesi, Ynwie Malmsteen, and Zakk Wylde. They each played some of their own stuff, sometimes accompanied by another shredder. The backup band was extremely good with keys, bass and drums. They covered for every guitarist so they had to be very competent.

Tosin Abesi from Animals As Leaders is an incredible player. The time signatures in those songs required a calculator lol. Nuno even joked about him making the time sigs up. Amazing set. Check out Physical Education, Nuno played it with him as 2nd guitar.

Nuno did his Extreme medley, and being a fan of that band, enjoyed it alot. Saw them many time in NYC. Funny guy, fantastic player, good singer and very humble too. Midnight Express on acoustic was a highlight.

Zakk is a beast roaming the aisles, the balcony, all the while playing behind his head. He did some Sabbath, blues and shredded so much it was almost overkill. Man he has not slowed with age. Its funny, in NJ in Toms River, I used to by drum sticks from him when he was skinny. Dave Szabo too, but that was a dif store literally a block or so over on Fischer Blvd.

Vai was....Vai. For The Love Of God can he play....pun intended. I have seen him many times, and his technique and passion are unrivaled. He was like the grandpapa of the crew.

Ynwie (spelling?) is still so incredibly fast and every note specific if that makes sense. Still not giving up the leather pants, he came out and just ripped every note and tore it up. Great to see a legend I had not seen before.

They then all jammed on cover tunes. Hocus Pocus (yep), Burn (hell yeah) to name a couple!

As a drummer, I always wanted to play guitar haha. I would tell anyone that admires these guys and plays the strings to see this show without fail. It's like you died and went to guitar heaven !!!

Thanks for reading. I have a TesseracT and Between The Buried And Me Show on the horizon. Prog Metal heaven. Blake Richardson of BTBAM is one of the best, if not the best young drummers out there. Sick skills. I will def need a calculator for this show especially with TesseracT on the bill too. :)

Rayzor