The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Adrian Belew Power Trio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:52 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Italian
Machine type: AW16G
Watched the amazing Adrian Belew play a gig with his power trio last night. What an incredible player. The sounds, the tone, the amazing playing -- it just blew me away. He had Tobias Ralph on drums who fanned all night long. On bass, he had Julie Slick who was a fantastic player. Between his own songs, and the King Crimson tunes, and his sense of humor, it was a great time. Very small venue in the sound was excellent. If he comes around and you would like this kind of music and playing you need to check this out.

Ray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:10 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Sounds like a good show. I bet your toes and the hairs on the back of your neck were working just as hard at the drummer was working, Ray.

We went to see George Thorogood last year (ho hum) and one of the opening acts was April Wine; A group very popular in Canada in the seventies. They had several radio hits in the day, perhaps some made it to the states too ??? But rather than parade past radio hits out after all these years, these guys played a great cover of 21st century Schizoid Man, note for note. Ithought it was great.

Further research informed me they had recorded it as a cover on a studio album "Harder.. Faster", in 1979. That album was certified Gold in the USA, I found. It was great to see and hear for those of us in the audience who were familiar with the piece from the King Crimson era. I had never listened to their 1979 cover. (Not sure how others who were less acquainted related). I thought it was great!!

Here is a a link to a you tube of them on that song.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4W7TVaFc6c

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:26 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Italian
Byron, hope you are well. I saw a cover of In the court of the crimson king with steve hackett, john wetton, chester thompson on drums, and another couple guys. It was excellent and on Youtube.

The drummer last night was extremely talented. So fun watching him. These kids can freaking play haha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 pm 
Marker Magician

I edited my post Ray and placed a link to the April Wine cover. Have a listen. This is a piece of music (by King Crimson) that for me is iconic. One of those that you remember the very first time that you heard it because it was so different from your usual.

Dark Side of the Moon, Twist and Shout and a recording of Handel's "Water Music Suite" are others that I am able to recall the exact whereabouts of my first listen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:35 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I saw King Crimson in Memphis back in the 70s. Loud.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:18 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Thanks for the tip, Rayzor. I just found out they're playing near me in mid-May. I will try to get there. :)

Byron - I saw April Wine opening for Rush at probably the peak of their popularity in the States, when the song "Roller" was a big hit...1979?