The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Chain 2x AW2400 together
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: marzipan
Machine type: AW2400
I know Iv'e seen it said somewhere with other models but can I put two AW2400 together to increase channel count and have more fun ?
I doubt it by the lack of odd connections on the back of the device but thought id ask, didn't see it mentioned in the manual.

Cheers
Riki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:33 pm 
Marker Magician

Yes that is possible. done it many times. You will end up with 14 inputs, as two must be used to cascade the signal from the slave back tot the master. Midi connections are needed to link the machines.

Another way is to put a card in the 2400 slot and get more inputs that way. they can be analog 8 X 1/4 or 4 X xlr you have to use outboard pres of course. Or you can get into the machie with 8 digital in through an ADAT connection, via the card in the slot.

More on this if you need clarification.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:30 am 
Sodbuster

Thanks, Yeah I have the ADAT 16 channel card installed so thats cool, But I wondered if I linked 2 machine then would that still almost double me up even though Im already using so many channels.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:10 am 
Sodbuster

Say I had 2 AW2400 machines

Machine A: 1x adat card installed (8 or 16 inputs avalible)
Machine B: No adat

If I chained the machines and used the adat on machine one, do you have a guess of how many inputs I could record at 24bit 48khz ? at the moment I can only monitor 6 channels while recording in this bit depth and sample rate the other tracks are muted, I think I can record 8 at once but If I could increase my monitor tracks atleast that would be good. It would be good if I coule record 14 tracks with 2 AW2400 in 24bit 48k

any thoughts ?

Thanks a lot
Riki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:32 pm 
Marker Magician

AW2400 has 24 track in 16 bit. So if you have 16 inputs going you would be able to monitor only 8 of them 24 - 16 = 8.

In 24 bit you would have only 12 tracks available. So if you used you adat card to increase to 12 inputs, you would be able to monitor none of them >> not an ideal situation!!

If you record in 24 bit and use only the 8 inputs of the on-board preamps , then you would be able to monitor 4 of them 12 - 8 = 4

If you were to link 2 AW machines, then you could use 6 inputs on each and monitor all those tracks. You would be recording on two different machines and would be able to monitor each separately ie two pairs of headphones. These two signals could be combined through an external monitoring rig. So you could record and monitor 12 tracks. I have never tried this specifically but it woul be possible, I surmise.

I more usually have cascaded the Stereo Out of the slave AW to two inputs on the master machine. this would require two inputs on the master to accept the slave's send. So you would be reducing your input and monitoring count on the master, which is in the opposite direction from what you are trying to accomplish. The limitations add up it would seem.

The solution to your situation, I think, would be to use 6 inputs on one machine and 8 on the other. at 24 bit that would allow you to monitor all 6 on the one machine using 6 ins. and monitor 4 on the other using 8 ins. so you would have 14 tracks recorded but 4 of those tracks would not be able to be monitored during the recording. If a kit is involved, then you could , for e.g. choose to listen to 2 overheads while leaving kick and snare mics unmonitored during the tracking. You would also have to choose 2 other tracks to forgo monitoring as well. Maybe a background vocal track(s), or a mic on a cabinet when you also have a direct line for the same instrument. Or record your keys in stereo, but only monitor one side of the stereo feed. In short >> decision time!!

Then there is the issue of the mix. You are not able to assemble 14 tracks on one machine at 24 bit. so you will be in a situation of mixing with the slave cascaded to the master.

Long story short >> what you want to accomplish in track/monitor counts is more doable at 16 bit depth. You would , as you have indicated you realize, be able to use 14 inputs via the pres and the adat and be able to monitor 10 of them during tracking. So the same monitoring situation as the 2 machines at 24 bit. Not all tracks need be monitored during tracking as i suggested. but at 16 bit, when the tracking is completed, you will have, and be able to mix, all your tracks on the one machine.

Clear as mud eh?? PM me if you want to pursue your ideas in more depth.