The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:18 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: marzipan
Machine type: AW2400
Hello!

So Iv'e been using the Yamaha Aw2400 for a whole now and I found I think the 24bit sounds better but of course your limited to what 12 tracks maybe even less 8 I think, it seems to mute some so in the end im very limited to tracks. My idea was to record most of my song like this, create a new project with the same name as the current song who I have almost ran out of tracks and put a (2) at the end of song name. Go to import and import a stereo mixdown track from the original project and import it. This way my new project has my mixdown song with say Bass, drums, guitar, vocals and then I have another few tracks in this project to use to make say backing vocals, flute etc

Can anyone see any fault or problem with my idea ? it seems to work, say I create vocal harmonies in my second project I can then import them as a stereo track back into the original song that way I have only used 2 tracks not 8 or more lol.

All in the name of keeping the nice 24bit sound, I am obsessed but to me it sounds better!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:18 pm 
Sodbuster

Any thoughts people ? as Im going ahead to record today! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:49 pm 
Marker Magician

You are thinking in a good way. Your first mix becomes a "stem" within the second mix.

As for track count, you do have twelve tracks available (24 in 16 bit). One of the more "difficult" nuances of this machine is the track count. You are limited to 12 (in 24 bit), which is a combination of the inputs assigned and tracks you are monitoring. If you assign 6 inputs for recording, you have the ability to monitor all 6. (6+6=12) But if you assign 8 tracks you will only be able to monitor 4 of them ( 8 + 4 =12). You can record to a muted track, even though you can't monitor it. This is a bit tricky to route your head about. You just have to choose what you should listen to. For e.g. if your "live from the floor setup has 4 tracks assigned to a drum kit, then perhaps you need only listen to the overhead during the tracking. Or maybe there would be enough drum in the room to allow you to not monitor it at all ??? Or if you have two tracks dedicated to one instrument (line in and mic on a guitar cab for e.g.) you can get away with listening only to the line in during the tracking.

This is a very important aspect if you are setting up to use the AW2400 as a Front of House mixer for a show that you also want to record.

More on this if you need further clarification ....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Virtual tracks might offer a solution.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:02 pm 
Sodbuster

Aha! Thankyou :)

Stem, makes sense Im learning, this will be the way forward then! Its been a crazy month sorting out computer drums using Superior Drummer and now finally Im mixing them down to a stereo drum track so I can get recording, can always go back to the laptop later and adjust drums.
I see what you mean with the tracks, it goes down as you arm tracks I can still record even if only to say bass drums and guitar that could work.
Perfect so those tracks will still be there and can be played back later, how about the tracks 13-24. when I do mixdown or bounce will it mixdown all those tracks into one ? even though I cannot play them back. I suppose it would be hard to hear them to get the mix right though ? and Im guessing I can record to a muted track

Virtual tracks Robbie ? In which way, I know it will be usefull for alternative drum mixes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 pm 
Marker Magician

24 bit is limited to 12 .. 13 -24 are not in play.

You could use virtual tracks to build stem mixes, and then mix the stems.

Keep asking if confused. It will come clear with some effort to wrap your head about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:28 am 
Sodbuster

ahh Ok cool I think I get you, use virtual track 2 on some tracks mix them down and bring them back into virtual track 1.
No need to make new project ?

Thanks so much for the help here people.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 am 
Marker Magician

Not quite. you wouldn't bring anything back to virtual one. the procedure, if you run out of tracks, would be to engage virtual 2 on a track that could be easily "missed", such as some percussion or a fill guitar etc. Now you can record something on that track. now do that to another track or even on v.3 of the same track. Eventually when you have some extra tracks over and above your 12 (24 bit recording) >>> MIX Down some combination of tracks to create a stem. which ones to mix will be clear to you as the project genius. MOVE that mix to a stereo pair. Of course the stereo pair you choose for the stem will need be on a new virtual, so the data on v 1 will not be heard. so that stuff need be part of the stem. Doable but requires organization and some edit moves. This is why I stick to 16 bit 44.1. good quality and more tracks. that said, creating stems is a very effective way of building a mix in some instances.