The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:51 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
Machine type: AW2400
I was just wondering If anyone knows about this

In Mixing down my song does it use the internal audio chips for processing ? I am using an ADAT interface for audio so most of the audio internally on the machine I presume is being bypassed, It does sound better with my Interface. but it got me thinking when I went to make a stereo mixdown, the fact the Yamaha needs to record the entire song to bounce to a stereo track I presume this means the mix-down is not done digitally as the song is played through in the process unlike when you mixdown on a PC its done lightning speed as the files are merged digitally.

So this got me thinking perhaps for best quality I aught to do my mixdown via ADAT out and record it live to the PC into the interface.

any thoughts anyone ?

Is there another way to make a mixdown without it using the internal chips ? and does this even matter ?
Thanks
Riki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 am 
Marker Magician

Someone wiser than me will come along. I'll hope. Of course it is analogue in and then completely digital until it gets sent out. as for the mixdown in real time, ( as opposed to rendering on a PC platform), it has always been a mystery to me. but i actually like that. with the auto mix feature you can ride faders in real time, as opposed to creating envelopes.

Maybe Robbie can explain how the thing works.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:12 pm 
Boot Polisher

It is nice the way the mixdown works and the multiple virtual tracks you can do a stereo mixdown to, one thing Iv'e noticed is that when I go into USB mode and grab my mixdowns they come out as 2 mono files which I have to put together to make a stereo file. It used to just make a single stereo file im sure ?

Yeah the Automix feature is really good, I may try mixdown to ADAT direct to my PC using interface and see IF any difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm 
Marker Magician

I have never had the machine send two mono files in place of a stereo mix down ???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:41 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
I don't know whether or not the effects processors are completely digital, but they are time-critical. If mixing, including panning, effects, eq etc were only in the digital world there would be no need to perform their tasks in real-time. Instead a brute computing power would make a complete mixdown within a second.

So, something tells me the effects processors do a DA conversion, process the signals analogue in real-time and the results go through a AD conversion.

There's a way to determine this.

Make a small project and use a lot of effects and equalizing. Then, make a mixdown and transport the results to the PC.
Then, throw the mixdown away and, without changing ANY settings... perform the mixdown again and transport the
results to PC. You now have two versions on your PC.

If the processing takes place in the analogue domain in real time then the files will be different. If the effects are
only in the digital domain the files have to be identical: the exact same source with the exact same algorithm should
result in the exact same file.

If the processors do their core business analogue you can compare it to making two photographs with the same camera
of the same objects in the same position. Even though visually there may not be a difference between the two pics,
the files are not the same.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm 
Boot Polisher

Hey, Brilliant This makes sense I think I should try it, IF this is the case that files are different and there is a degrade in sound as up till this point my audio only passed through my ADAT interface and not via the internal pre's or audio chips. Then I may to my Final Master as a ADAT stereo out from Yamaha into the RME Interface and then.

I think Im right in Presuming that as I am using an ADAT interface and Im using outs and Ins the only audio that the Yamaha is actually touching is as you say though the effects processor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:19 pm 
Boot Polisher

Byron wrote:
I have never had the machine send two mono files in place of a stereo mix down ???

I know its weird am I going to the right place ? I go into the project and there is the "render" folder which beats me as its tiny files then in the audio folder I find the last two files with highest number and they seem to be the stereo mix in two separate files.
Am I supposed to look elsewhere ? Interesting why I have mono files :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm 
Marker Magician

YOu are in the wrong place. To export a stereo mix down, it must be done through an export to the Transport folder. The render folder and song folder contain any number of numbered wav files. the individual files are not time or date stamped, so it is impossible to use them efficiently. There will be a wav there for every record event, even flase starts etc. Don't try to figure them out. Use the Transport folder. Only way to go.

Outlined in manual or more advise here as needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:31 am 
Boot Polisher

Ahh ok, thanks a lot Iv'e had a fair time reading the manual but never enough! lol
Ok Ill get on that soon that will make life easier!