The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
Machine type: AW2400
I may have asked this a couple of years ago but when I had my AW2400 I used a external converter via ADAT that I think bypassed all the Yamaha's internal audio DAC and Pre's
I noticed it sounded better but I also noticed that when you mixdown on the Yamaha it mixes down in real time recording the Finished stereo WAV file.

So was wondering does this mean that it used the internal converters and op amps to do this mixing down ? On a computer mix down is not done in real time but a sum of the audio tracks is made digitally so there is no loss of quality

Any help appreciated !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:52 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
The block diagram show the DA converter comes into play when a signal is being sent out via the ST out, Mon out , Omni out etc. but not in the path to the mix that becomes resident on the LR Stereo Tr. At least that is the way i would interpret it. the block diagram is on pg 284 of the manual.

You are correct that ADAT input does bypass the AD converter on the way in. So it seems that once that digital data is in, it does not go through further conversion until there is direction to push an analog signal out. So if you move a stereo mix out of the machine via Transport>>USB >> external platform you are moving data whose origins emanate from tha AD converter in the ADAT peripheral.

At least that is the way i read the block diagram.