The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Headphone AMP connection
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:13 pm 
Dude

Hi everyone,

Some help please. I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm heaphones, and a Schiit Magni2 headphone amp (http://schiit.com/products/magni-2), that I want to connect to the AW2400.

The Magni2 has 2 RCA output sockets as you can see on the link above.

1- Can you lead me on where to connect the Magni2 outputs to the AW ?
2- Will I be able to hear the metronome with the headphones on ?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:29 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Those RCA plugs are inputs, not outputs, I think. The jack into which you plug your headphones is the output.

The easiest connection would be analog. You will need a patch cable with RCA on one end and 1/4" stereo on the other. (The same pin as is on full sized headphones) , You will be able to locate one of these on the web or at a local electronic supply shop. Go from the headphones out jack on your AW to your Amp box. The volume pot on the AW will still be in operation, so turn it right down when you hook up and bring up only enough volume to feed you external headphone amp. You will be able to hear the AW metronome with this path.

Mono patches (1/4" mono > (single) RCA) could work from the AW's stereo outs too, but you would not hear the metronome.

The link you provided indicated there was a digital out option too, but it seems as if there is only RCA input jacks on your box. Could they double as analog ins and also as coaxial digital in???? and further would they double as optical digital ins, as your web link indicates is available ??? You would contact the company if you need these questions answered.

If you go the digital route, I suspect you would not hear the metronome though, as the digital outs parallel the stereo outs on the AW >>> no metronome.

Some AW machines have coax digital out, others have optical. You have not indicated what AW machine you are using.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:46 pm 
Dude

Hi Byron,

I said on my post that it was a Yamaha AW2400. So, let me see if I understood:

I need a patch cable with 2 RCA plugs on one side and one stereo jack plug on the other side, right ?

Then, I connect the patch cable stereo jack plug (coming from the Schritt), to the AW2400 headphones out socket, right ?

I need to be sure of this, so I don't damage neither the Beyerdynamic's nor the AW2400. :o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm 
Marker Magician

Yes, you need to get a signal to your headphone amp, so it can prepare it for your headphones.

When you come out the "headphones out" of the the 2400, that signal goes through the Aw's own headphone amp circuitry, so I would be very careful to not overload your external amp. Turn the 2400's headphone volume all the way down. Hook up your patch. Adjust your external box to a volume at half or somewhat below half to be cautious. Now listen in the cans to determine what you will hear. Turn up the Aw headphone control a bit to begin to determine the range with which you have to work. now adjust the volume pot on the external box. Back and forth with the two volume controls until you get what you want, as best you can. The ultimate goal will be to have the AW control as low as possible, whilst avoiding over-driving your external box's output.

The AW 2400 has an optical digital out. The web page for your box says that optical in is an option, but does not explain how to patch. Maybe you have an manual, or could access the support service of your manufacturer.

As said before, the metronome appears at the phones out and the monitor out, but not the stereo out of the AW. The digital out is the same as the stereo out, so no metronome. You could also assign the stereo LR to an Aux bus I think, but still there would be no metronome I suspect - I'd have to see how that worked out with a test, never having patched that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 pm 
Dude

Thank you Byron, for your detailed explanation.
I could understand very well how to patch an headphone amp to the AW2400, being careful with volume outputs.

Speaking of the AW2400, I sold my Tascam DP32 and bought a AW2400 in excellent shape, from Austria! I had to go a really long way to find one... It should have arrived by now, but I am still waiting. The DP32 is super easy to work with, but the 2400 is in another league, mixing and mastering / effects.

Thank you for your help.
Eduardo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:46 am 
Marker Magician

Check back in when it arrives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:37 pm 
Dude

Hi Byron,

Are you absolutely sure that I can connect an headphone amp to the AW2400 "phones output jack", without damaging the AW ?
The amplifier is the Schritt Magni.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:33 pm 
Marker Magician

There is no chance of hurting the AW, as it is sending the signal. It is the next down the line in the signal flow that would be damaged (your amp), but that too is highly unlikely. After that amp the next in line is your headphone set. there is a good chance of damaging headphones if they are exposed to more volume than they are designed to handle.
after that it is your own ears that stand in harm's way. Hence my advice to be cautious with how much gets sent out of the AW. >>>Too much will damage equipment and ears. On the other hand, too little will not drive the headphones optimally.

Are you going to be mixing with monitors too? It is difficult to mix confidently using headphones only.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:42 pm 
Dude

Thank you Byron, for your patience, and detailed replies. I am more confident now. I will be mixing with monitors yes, Yamaha HS50's. But will use headphones also, in the evening and at night.

By the way: Does this site has any song files folder, where you can hear songs made with the AW2400?

Thank you once again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:22 pm 
Marker Magician

vadesriux wrote:
By the way: Does this site has any song files folder, where you can hear songs made with the AW2400?

http://www.dijonstock.com/index.php?page=web-mp3

This link will get you to some older recordings, mostly done on Aw 4416, AW 16G and AW 1600 machines. Login and Password are both dijonstock.

Other links in Projects section of this site appear not to work in this config of the site. Perhaps Robbie will come by to explain and or fix.

Check the File Exchange section http://www.dijonstock.com/index.php?page=forum, as that is where most people upload to present projects for comment. These post disappear with time as they become "stale", so it is not an archive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:44 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
He can't see the file exchange section right now as he hasn't reached 25 posts yet. I'll fix that now so there are no 14 additional posts necessary.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:46 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 am 
Dude

Thank you very much Robbie!

You guys have been of great help. Hope to continue learning from you.

Eduardo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:24 pm 
Marker Magician

Robbie,

Any explanation as to why the links to the comp cd projects are not working?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:11 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

No, but I'll look into it tomorrow. It looks like they're just not there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:08 pm 
Marker Magician

A mystery??!!! Did they get moved, displaced or eliminated when you were leading the fight against all the spammers and there was concern regarding the amount of server space we were utilizing?? Just a shot in the dark.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:27 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I suspect I removed them myself some time ago because of web space issues and forgot to put them back. I'll look into it shortly but not tonight. Work is a mad house.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:07 am 
Marker Magician

I don't think the grammy producers will be stopping by anytime soon.

Exam time??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:34 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Yep. Calculus exams.

In their infinite wisdom, the dutch government has decided not only to have final exams for the usual subjects but also for calculus (not maths) and a language related exam. Those two are part of the pass/fail arrangements for the dutch high school exams.

I can tell you. It's panic in many different ways. It takes me lots of time to organise. It should be done now, the first exam is tomorrow. Let's see if it all turns out the way it's supposed to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:24 am 
Marker Magician

I don't envy you a bit. As an elementary teacher I dealt only as high as grade 8, but usually grades 3- 5, or Special ed roles. so very little experience with exams, especially with ones that "count".

Good luck with it all.