The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this possible?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:42 pm 
Dude

Machine type: AW2400
Hi :!:
I want to record one of my friends(singer) but he cant perform the whole part perfectly(16bars).
Is it possible to record bar for bar on one track like in cubase?
I hope you understand what i mean and sry for my bad englisch
Thanks
Andy

Post subject: Re: Is this possible?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:12 pm 
Marker Magician

Yes, you would do this by using the AutoPunch utility.

Try to sing the whole passage and then go back and fix sections as needed, using the Auto Punch. You will need to set In and Out points. In and Out points get set automatically with each time you record, so when you are wanting to use the Auto punch on a specific section, make sure it is always engaged before you press record, lest the In-out you set specifically for the correction will be altered.

You will want to disengage the autopunch to listen back to your fix-up, because you will never hear it if the Autopunch is engaged. Each pass, when auto punch is engaged, turns off the playback between the in-out points. After listening, remember to re-engage the autopunch before making another try. It is wise to use the undo button between unsucessful attempts, to manage disc usage, but if you forget, no big deal.

On the UTILITY button /Preferences screen you can control how much time will be set to pre-roll. During pre-roll, sing along with the take so that when the recorder engages your voice will be where it should be.

In/out points can be set with great precision, if need be, using the jog wheel and (sometimes) referring to the wav display, but most of the time appropriate in/out point can be set manually, as the song plays back. This depends on length of phrases, breath points, slurs , articulation etc.

Give it a go and get back with specific questions that may arise. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:28 pm 
Dude

Thank you very much Byron :!:
I will try that tomorrow

Do i need a foot-switch?
Is there a fast way I can set Punch In at every bar?
Like bar 1,2,3 etc.?
You know singers dont like to wait to long :lol: and now days everything is faster on a PC.

Never used the Punch in/out or marker functions but now its time to learn it :) :idea:

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 pm 
Marker Magician

Sorry, it can be a process moving the in out points. If that is the way you want to do it, and you have tracked to a set tempo, you can sequence your button pushing to have the out point become the new in point and then play or FF to the next bar beat 1 and then use the jog wheel to roll the exact time to the start of that beat ( as viewed up by the time code).

I would not go bar by bar though. I would get the vocalist to sing the 16 bar passage, as best he/she can and then go back and fix up sections. You may find you need only fix a single section. I would make the vocalist try to make it right first.

remember your punch in sounds best if you do them right away, using the same settings, mic to mouth distance, pre-amp gain etc. Waiting to the next day, especially if your settings change and have to be recreated, often does not work. The "next day", the vocalist's health, mood, warm up, state of hydration and even the relative humidity can all work against you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:32 pm 
Dude

Great post Byron thank you very much :!:
We will try both methods to see whats the best for us.
Have a nice day

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:52 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: food
this is a good thread, I just posted a question about recording similar to this.

-JD