The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:23 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: vindalo
Machine type: AW2400
Hi to you all out there,

I have had my AW2400 for three days now and absolutely adore her, I only wish I had more time to explore her deeper regions but what with full time work and family commitments, I will have to wait until saturday for some quality time together.

In my last post I was off to start work on track five but due to my rubbish bass playing Im still there and after quite a few cycles of record then undo i checked the memory used and it seemed a bit high so i performed an optimize which reduced the file size somewhat,so this got me thinking it must be good practice to do this on a regular basis especially after lots of editing and of course only if you happy with what you've done and there's no need for a redo?

Am I right and are there any other good practice scenarios you could share with me to maybe help prolong the life of this amazing machine?

P.s are all the undo/redos stored or erased when you save and shutdown?

Cheers

Jasper

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Jasper,

Good to see you're making progress.

The optimize is a good thing. On the AW16G however it often does not reduce file size, but it does somehow reorganise the files.

All undo info is stored in the saved song.

r

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:35 pm 
Marker Magician

good practice - yes.

Archiving is important practice too. Once your bed tracks are recorded, archive before you start into the mixing process in earnest. Then, If your song size gets too big as you build the mix and add further layers, edit etc., you can start a new song, incorporating the scenes you have created to that point. then move only the current virtuals to the new song, which is easy to do. Now your song is at a reasonable size, and you will have an archive or two along the way to fall back upon, if needed.

Once songs get up into the several gig range, the HD has to work harder and you will see the disc busy signal flash frequently. the machine always pulls through but i would rather not watch that message flash and worry about the extra work i am creating by using a large, cluttered file.

Don't forget to benchtest your ability to reload project archives, before you go erasing the originals. I have had a few problems with delayed write failures, with large files, on some PC machines to which I have connected. So try it out before you clear something important. Once you know your machine works as it should you will have the confidence needed to archive without losing sleep.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:52 am 
Dude

Thanks for your reply Byron

It make the learning curve of getting to grips with a machine like the AW 2400 so much easier when you can have things explained to you in a down to earth why by someone who no's what they are talking about,manuals are so clinical and hard to take in, so again thanks and any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated,

If you are interested I have successfully started using EQ, Dynamics, gates and effects.The operating system is much the same as the 16g and the view page is a huge improvement.

Getting to know the mixer functions,routing busses etc.

Im now trying to understand the layers function and using the faders as effect send etc, so any help in this area would be much appreciated.

Cheers and out

Jasper.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:07 pm 
Marker Magician

As for EQ, the 2400 gives two types of EQ, on the tracks (but not the inputs). type 1 is the default, but type two is said (in the manual) to be "improved". I agree that it is "better" and so I regularly invoke the type 2. But you can't make it the default - so it becomes another step in the setting up of EQ.

Re: the layers. The sends for the EFF are in the "master" layer. (top row, right side of layer control section) Faders 9 - 12 control the sends. Full up is 100% send. There is no +6 dB as there is on all the other layers, so these faders generally will stay right at the top of their travel. 9-12 on both input layers control the EFF returns. I naturally start with these at 0 dB, dial up some reverb on the EFF bus screen ( the dial at 3 oclock is the "unity" position) so that I can hear it, then adjust. If i am using the EFF on more than one track, I will dial up the other tracks, establish a balance and then go to the return faders on the input layer and move the whole bus' return, to fine tune. Only then would I turn to the Master Layer to pull back the Send, if I can't get the return sitting as wanted in the mix. There are EQ and DYN opportunities at the send and return points, so these can be utilized too.

The layer system is perhaps the major work flow adjustment, when moving from the G/1600 to the 2400. The added convenience is great, once you get a handle on utilizing the tool.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm 
Dude

Thanks

for your latest explanation explaining the layer functions of the 2400, Bryon.

The information you have provided is an absolute must.I am slowly starting to understand what its all about, although I haven't tried any of the these functions yet,I'm still trying to get the darn bass part right,driving me mad,don't you just hate getting stuck at some point or another.Sometimes I get a part right straight away and other times as with this bass line I just can't seem to get it to sound right but I shall keep on trying.

Thanks Jasper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:41 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I'm trying to determine what you mean when you say trying to get the bass part right. Are we talking proper eq and dynamics or playing the bass part through without a mistake? If it's the later, the auto punch section is an invaluable tool. I can't tell you how many times I get the bass rolling only to "f**k up a few bars towards the end. But the auto function allows you to back up, punch in the corrected notes and finish up. Is that what you mean?

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:28 pm 
Dude

Hi RZ

I was talking about not only playing the part correctly but also getting the feel right.Unfortunately i'm a self taught musician,I play drums guitar keyboard bass etc but none to a very high standard, in fact I didn't play anything for 25 years until around 3 years ago so I often find it takes me awhile to get parts right although normally its the drum part that trips me up.I have used the auto punch on my 16g a fair bit in the past and yes it has helped a lot but I haven't used it on my 2400 yet.

Im not sure If you read my post thanking you for your advice back in December of last year to hold out for a 2400 so I shall take this opportunity to THANK YOU once again.

Cheers

Jasper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:03 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
jasper617 wrote:
Hi RZ

Im not sure If you read my post thanking you for your advice back in December of last year to hold out for a 2400 so I shall take this opportunity to THANK YOU once again.

Cheers

Jasper

Sure I do remember. Glad you held out and bought the 2400. I totally understand what it means to be self taught. I am also self taught. I don't play anything well, but can muddle my way through most instruments and toss is some vocals. Makes for interesting recordings. The older I get, the worse it gets. But just the fact that I can switch the 2400 on, pick up my guitar and play. Just like yesterday. Then I get on my knees and pray!

rz-land