The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Y96K ADAT I/O...
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:47 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Meatball spaghetti
Machine type: AW2400
Hello again --
A quick question about the Y96K card - the ADAT ports on the Y96K: can those be used for general ADAT in and out of the AW2400, or do they route signals only (or typically) into and out of the Y96K card itself.
In other words, can those ports serve the purposes, bringing the functionality of the normal 8 channel ADAT expansion card to get ADAT I/O to/from the AW2400, or, again, do they serve just as an optical interface for the purposes of using the card itself with ADAT- equipped peripherals?
Many thanks,
Tracker

Post subject: Re: Y96K ADAT I/O...
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:59 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I have wanted a Y96K card but haven't found one. Byron has such a card in his 2400 and will be able to expound on it's capabilities. My thoughts are that card offers additional fx to the unit. I'm sure he and a few other users will be around soon enough.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:16 pm 
Marker Magician

The y96k card gives 8 additional inputs to the AW machine. I send my M-Audio "Octo" preamp unit, via lightpipe, to the y96k card that is installed in the AW's slot. The individual signals can then be routed from the card to the desired inputs.

The processed data is sent back to the lightpipe output of the card. I don't utilize this output feature, so I am "guessing" that you may be able to accomplish what you wish. My reading of the manual suggests that you should insert the card into the select channels input chain, post fader, if you want the AW's own effects, EQ etc. to appear in the lightpipe for output back to the ADAT. The manual reads " All audio recieved by the y96k is echoed (post effect chains) to the card's lightpipe output." Putting the card at the end of the channel chain would mean that the final output of the card's chain, would include what is happening in the AW, but what has been applied via the AW would then be included (processed) again by the card.

The card has also a port to attach an ADAT cable, rather than use the lightpipe.

So to answer your question again - I do think that the ADAT info goes into the card's chain and then is echoed,immediately post of the y96k chain to the ADAT output.

If this doesn't answer, clarify what you need to know and I will try again to answer your question.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 pm 
Dude

Hi and thanks --
What I'm wondering about is whether the card can serve the role of a straightforward ADAT I/O, besides its capabilities for routing effects. The AW2400 has only one card slot. My thought is that perhaps the Y96K can serve a dual role: providing expanded effects processing (without losing down the central processor) AND 8 channels of ADAT I/O. Is that an accurate understanding of the card's capabilities?

Many thanks for your time and suggestions!
Tracker

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 pm 
Dude

Hi Tracker,
There seems to be some limitations in how ADAT I/O works in the Y96K.
I have myself tried to setup ADAT to use external effects but every
time I get so confused how to connect the ADAT inputs without loosing channels.
I'm might be wrong but I have only been able to get 4 external effects using ADAT.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:28 am 
Dude

What I'm hoping for is to be able to use the Y96K much as a MY8-AT, for 8 channels of ADAT I/O to interface with other machines and sound cards (such as the Echo Gina I've got my media pc running Reaper) apart from its usefulness as an external effects processor. I'm not as interested in applying effects to signals input through the board, preferring to record dry. On the other hand, the external effects capabilities of the board would become useful during mixdown and for applying effects during bounces. This would permit the dry recording to stay on a virtual track, and the effected copy to go to another destination track, to be incorporated into a subsequent mix.

In other words, what I'm hoping the Y96K would gain for me would be, in effect, a dual purpose card: giving me ADAT I/O, mostly for digital audio transfer, and high quality effects, albeit not necessarily at the same time.

It'd be like getting two benefits from the single expansion slot.

I think others have asked about this, if not here than on other forums, and I recall similar replies about using both I/O and effects at the same time, although on close reading, the questions seemed more to be about gaining two kinds of functionality from a single expansion slot.

Hoping I'm not hopelessly muddying the waters!

Thanks,
Tracker

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:43 am 
Marker Magician

You can do what you are describing.

The 2400 has a quirky setup allowing 24 channels to be active, but the 24 is the sum of the armed inputs and the tracks upon which you are monitoring those inputs. So in effect when using 16 bit you have only 12 tracks >> 12 inputs + 12 monitoring tracks. Now if you don't need to listen to the inputs you could have 16 inputs whilst monitoring 8 of them 16 + 8 = 24.

As I said i send 8 tracks of digital via lightpipe. You have to tell the card to expect input from ADAT rather than the host ( on the splash screen that displays all the chains. The ADAT assignment is done in pairs on the card, but each chain can be used individually. Once some or all of chains on the card are configured to expect ADAT, then those chains need be assigned to the inputs of your choice. This is accomplished on the View screen for the respective input. The card's chain is inserted into the signal chain of the AW's input, in the small rectangle near the top right of the screen.

with this done, anything coming from your gear, via the ADAT link will go to the input you have assigned. No need to actually place any processors in the card's chain, as you said you wanted to record dry. This process works. I have done it several times.

When tracking is done, reassign the ADAT tracks to now receive signal from the HOST and then the chains are available to be assigned to tracks insted of inputs, again on the respective view screen. Now load up the chains on the card and use the EQ, compressors and de-essers etc. I had a struggle to get it all into place at first, and i sometimes have to reteach myself if I've not setup in a while. Let me know how it goes.

Big question >> do you own the card? They are no longer available new. You would have to watch ebay if you want to acquire one. they don't come up often.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:27 pm 
Dude

Byron --

Many thanks for your replies - no, I don't have a Y96K card yet, although I do have a couple in view. My AW2400 came to me with an mLAN card installed, which is possibly not as helpful as it may have been, given the support picture for 64-bit W7 & W8.

The real question about the Y96K, I guess, is one of value. A simple ADAT I/O card would get 8 channels of digital audio in and back out of most of my other equipment for less money. Effect support on Reaper is fairly broad. The real question is whether the WAVES effects are sufficiently superior in practice to invest in the card. I've got a lot of effects, and a lot of ways to apply them...

Has anyone an opinion on the relative strength of the card's effects, compared to the qualities across the range of effects available through other software-based effects offerings?

Again, I'm grateful for the group's time...
Best wishes, all,
Tracker

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:48 pm 
Marker Magician

Can't speak for the quality as compared to others. I have not used WAVS gold plugins - only those installed on my card. I do like the tools though.

As to your value question. I work largely in the AW environment, so the card's assignable chains greatly expand my work platform. but working (mixing) within the AW box is cumbersome for many. so many users track with the AW and then do post production on the PC.

If you have good plugins for your software, the card's stuff may be outside your needs. The card would be valuable for live FOH mixing. The AW can standin as this type of mixer, but has limitations related to track counts.

If you can get this card cheap enough it is a good piece of kit.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:31 pm 

Yes I saw two cards on ebay. For as little as I use my recorder, those prices aren't worth it to me. If I ever find a sweet deal, I'm sure I'd pull the trigger on one.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:51 pm 
Dude

These are very helpful comments.

Truthfully, upon reflection, I think the biggest return on investment would be found in removing the mLAN card from the AW2400 and installing the my8-AT. That'll get me the digital I/O to match most of my other stuff, enabling ADAT as well as SP/DIF.

I've got a lot of resources that give me access to effects. But all methods benefit from improved I/O.

There's more to work through, but that'll probably start another thread. I think we've added to the quality of documentation through this thread, and I thank you all.

More soon, and thanks again,
Tracker

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:40 pm 
Marker Magician

Simple is good. The my8-at card would get your digital gear into the AW.

Why do you want to do this?? Do you sometimes need lots of tracks (stage band recording for e.g.) or do you want to bypass the on-board preamps??

I utilize both these reasons at times, but mostly my card is utilized in post processing, so the y96k cards EFF chains are invaluable to me. The WAVS EQ and limiters are now integral parts of how I work. The compressors and de-esser find their way into my chains frequently too.

But for strictly I/O, the my8 card would do the trick.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:51 pm 
Dude

Why do I want to do this... good question! Maybe I just have restless audio...

No, seriously, I've got a reasonably well-wrung-out installation of Reaper with an Echo Gina that I've been using primarily for downstream late-in-the-workflow processing. I'm clearing out a Korg D3200 (the second I'd owned) and have digital material imported & exported from a half a dozen systems, plus legacy analog stereo and multitrack sessions going back into the 70s and 80s, mostly now to be used for reference for re-recording.

As this thread suggests, I've been trying to figure out what direction to move toward for my day-in/day-out effects needs. I'm struck by the sensible set of effects selected for the Y96K and have read much about them that's good. I was also intrigued by the idea that the Y96K would let me employ the effects internally to the AW2400 - probably a fair trade for using up the system's only expansion slot - yet also give me the option to use ADAT I/O to move 8 channels of digital audio in and out for outboard effects, such as the billion or so plug-ins that I've got in my Reaper installation.

There's about a $300 difference between the MY8-AT and the Y96K. I reckon the effects are worth that, given that I'd be likely to add the ADAT anyway, for the reasons stated above. But perhaps the many effects I've got access to outboard diminish the need for bringing the Y96K's effects onboard. This gives me something to dither over.

Meantime, I should probably expand my Howdy Duty thread or start a new one, to explain why an otherwise seemingly well-grounded gent like me would embark on such a quixotic venture. It's true - there's a back story and some subtext. Probably ought to talk about it. Will, over time...

More soon, and thanks!
Tracker

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:05 pm 

Tracker wrote:
Why do I want to do this... good question! Maybe I just have restless audio...

No, seriously, I've got a reasonably well-wrung-out installation of Reaper with an Echo Gina that I've been using primarily for downstream late-in-the-workflow processing. I'm clearing out a Korg D3200 (the second I'd owned) and have digital material imported & exported from a half a dozen systems, plus legacy analog stereo and multitrack sessions going back into the 70s and 80s, mostly now to be used for reference for re-recording.

As this thread suggests, I've been trying to figure out what direction to move toward for my day-in/day-out effects needs. I'm struck by the sensible set of effects selected for the Y96K and have read much about them that's good. I was also intrigued by the idea that the Y96K would let me employ the effects internally to the AW2400 - probably a fair trade for using up the system's only expansion slot - yet also give me the option to use ADAT I/O to move 8 channels of digital audio in and out for outboard effects, such as the billion or so plug-ins that I've got in my Reaper installation.

There's about a $300 difference between the MY8-AT and the Y96K. I reckon the effects are worth that, given that I'd be likely to add the ADAT anyway, for the reasons stated above. But perhaps the many effects I've got access to outboard diminish the need for bringing the Y96K's effects onboard. This gives me something to dither over.

Meantime, I should probably expand my Howdy Duty thread or start a new one, to explain why an otherwise seemingly well-grounded gent like me would embark on such a quixotic venture. It's true - there's a back story and some subtext. Probably ought to talk about it. Will, over time...

More soon, and thanks!
Tracker

Well now . . if you have 70's and 80's material and know Howdy Duty, Buffalo Bob and most likely Captain Kangaroo, I look forward to hearing all that! Bring it forth.

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:07 pm 
Marker Magician

It sounds like the extra $ may be worth it for you. My guess is though that, if you get a y96k card, you may well end up using that suite as a 'go to". As you stated the no frills bundle that is installed on the card are very functional and they produce good results. Once you have your patching scheme down it is rather seamless . I will mention that although there are 8 chains that can be assigned to 8 tracks > they are mono as i am sure you are aware. They can be paired, and must be paired for the TruVerb and the M1 Maximizer. Also, the card has lots of processing power, but depending on what plugins you call up you can/will reach a limit. the truverb is the biggest hog. But again there is lots, just not endless. the card has 2 processors - chains 1-4 and 5-8 are separate. They do not share resources.

If you will, I would be interested in keeping up with how you utilize the card, should you acquire one. As you will have surmised, >> I like mine! I just recently got the ADAT working as I wanted (again) You don't use some gear for a few months and then it is like a stranger when you return!!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:10 pm 
Marker Magician

I can't let this go - It's Howdy Doody.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:24 am 

Byron wrote:
I can't let this go - It's Howdy Doody.

Yes it is.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:46 am 
Dude

That's what makes it punny... Doing my Howdy Duty, see? (I actually have a photograph of Captain Kangaroo autographed to me by name by the good Captain himself...)

So, well, I jumped on the Y96K card after all. I'm persuaded it's got a good chance to prove day-to-day useful, and anything that reduces the amount of strange device patching I have to do routinely is a Good Thing.

So more as this all unfolds, and many thanks, all. I'm certain to seek out suggestions and report out findings going forward...

Tracker

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:22 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Enjoyed this thread. I bought a Y96K card not too long ago, and thanks to Byron's help via PMs, learned how to begin using it (card did not come with a manual). As a newbie to the recording end of it, among other items, patching was a little confusing to me. Spend a little time on this end of it as there are patching options that allow you to do more than insert a "chain" into one channel (or a stereo pair) that really open up some possibilities and efficiencies.

I think the quality of the AW2400's effects are quite good, but once you start to get a handle on what's available on the Waves card, you'll understand why they have the reputation they do. Additionally, there's nothing quite like the L1 UltraMaximizer in the AW. There's plenty written about the "loudness wars", and tools like the L1 UltraMaximizer are at the center of those discussions. However, like anything else, it's how you use it. The L1 is an extremely powerful tool, and if you are going to be "finishing" songs on the AW, I think you'll find it invaluable.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:20 pm 
Marker Magician

The manual is not that useful for questions specific to the 2400. It has a section of patching info re:the 4416 and the 2816, but the 2400 was pared down with only 1 slot and four aux buses (two more EFF buses though).

The manual has some good info re the parameters and the actual plugins, but it is the hands on that will set you on your learning curve. If some are interested I could scan and post some pages of the manual.

Let me know about stuff you may be wondering about. I could try to answer some of your concerns. You guys who just acquired the card will have some fun learning how to use it.

It is mostly intuitive, but the verb and the tap delay a bit less so. I have gotten better with the verb, but there are quite a few parameters, some seemingly more "influential" than others.