The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:34 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Meatball spaghetti
Machine type: AW2400
Howdy!

Truly hoping this forum is still active & vibrant, as I've just acquired a mint-condition AW2400, after a long period of patient watching for such an opportunity. I've suspected for some time that the AW2400 is the machine I've been waiting for, after many years of recording with quite a variety of tape recorders and multitrackers.

Here's a quick question, though. Do I need to obtain the Tools CD from Yamaha? My primary concern is with being able to bring up a hard disk from new - would that require the Tools CD for the OS? Or, if I make a copy of the .bin file in the root directory of the -1 drive, is that all I'd need?

For that matter, it looks as if the OS is divided, with a portion on the HD, and a portion in firmware. Is that correct? Can anyone speak to the architecture? My AW2400 looks new, I mean, genuinely, practically unused - and so I'd like to prepare whatever I need to keep it running a good long time...

Meantime, many thanks in advance! This looks like an interesting gathering of worthies, and I'm looking forward to learning from you all, and helping out where I may...

Thanks and best wishes!
Tracker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:08 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Tracker,

There's a number of 2400 users here so someone will come along shortly to answer your question.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum!

r

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:00 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Welcome. You have scored! The AW2400 (IMHO) is the greatest stand alone DAW made. While I'm not of the the technical mindset, there are several here who also own the 2400 that can and will answer your questions soon enough.

This forum has been around pretty close to the advent of the AW16G. It started off as a different site with a different owner. But he vanished as did the original site. So Robbie picked it up for us here and we've been rolling ever since. The members have shrunk since Yamaha has discontinued these units, but plenty of us stop by daily not only to help new owners of these magnificent units, but to hang out and post cheesy drivel to pass the time.

But back to your AW2400! I love mine and I don't use 50% of it. What I do like. 1. The automation. Once the song is complete and mastered, set the faders to change when you need them to. Adjust the pan, fx, eq and then sit back and enjoy the final product without having to move a finger (unless you want to make more changes to the final mix). 2. Four sets of fx. How cool is that. Regardless of whether you want to insert an effect into a track to make it permanent, once you release, you have four effect engines at your command. Sweet. 3. Twenty-four mono tracks. Incredible! They are layered from 1-16 and 13-24, but a simple push of a button and you're working with 12 at a time. 4. USB. 5. Four band EQ. 6. Optional I/O slot. 7. Auto punch in (my savior). 8. Pitch fix. 9. Big ole screen! 10. Eight XLR or TRS inputs! Plus lots of cool buttons!! Weeeee!

Seriously, welcome to the mad house and someone will come along shortly that can answer your questions!

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 pm 
Dude

Thanks for the fine welcome - and thanks also for that bit of the back story: it says a lot when folks care enough about a forum to pick it up from falling!

I'll definitely be hanging around...

Thanks and Mo' Soon,
Tracker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:15 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Hi Tracker,
Just a short answer from my smartphone out of holiday.
You don't need the cd and can format the hard drive without it. The OS will still be there after formatting.

Oh, and never load the demo song. Delete it immediately or great machine will do some screwy things. Search the forum about it, it's true.

Andreas

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:22 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
Machine type: AW16G
Did someone mention the dreaded demo song?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:06 am 
Dude

Ok - got it - I hear "Don't load the demo song." That's advice I find easy to follow!

Still curious about the OS. Lacking the system disk, I updated the firmware ensuring that the cd I burned had both a copy of the firmware update and a copy of the .bin file I found in the root of the system hard drive. Is a copy of that .bin file all that's needed in a disk replacement? Is that file patched during an update, or does the update reside in firmware - in other words, is the OS split across firmware and the root directory of the hard drive?

Meantime, I have to say, what a smooth machine in operation! Signal routing, takes, undos, adding tracks, even the fader layers, all that basic navigational stuff, just seem to make more sense on the AW2400 than most other systems I've worked with. The audio performance seems outstandingly good. So far, the system is getting out of my way and letting me work...

Glad to hear from you folks! As Gimli might have said, "Let them come! There's still one dwarf in Moria drawing breath and producing music on an AW2400!" 8)

More as we go forward, and thanks again,
Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:42 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: bacon
Still curious about the OS. Lacking the system disk, I updated the firmware ensuring that the cd I burned had both a copy of the firmware update and a copy of the .bin file I found in the root of the system hard drive. Is a copy of that .bin file all that's needed in a disk replacement? Is that file patched during an update, or does the update reside in firmware - in other words, is the OS split across firmware and the root directory of the hard drive?

You've probably sorted it by now, but here's the answer to your OS query:
You can check which Boot OS and which Firmware OS you have by pressing the UTILITY key after the Yamaha logo appears during startup. Note that the fixed 'Boot' OS built into the AW2400 is V1.01 and cannot be changed, however the 'Firmware' OS can be updated.

Get the latest operating system (version 1.13) software from the internet at http://download.yamaha.com. Click on your country in the list that appears then enter AW2400 in the search box. In the screen that appears click on AW2400 at the bottom to bring up a list of related downloads.
Select AW2400 OS Updater V1.13 from the list to download it. Once downloaded the folder you get contains a file called AW2400PG.BIN - this is the operating system you will need. Burn it on to a blank, PC formated CD. If for any reason the downloaded file is called AW2400PG.BIN.cpgz this is the compressed file and needs opening to decompress it.
Place the CD you made in the CD drawer and close it. Shut down the machine then hold down the SONG and MIDI buttons on the top panel and switch the AW2400 back. At this point you will get a message asking if you want to install/update the system.
Press ENTER and follow the instructions which will include repositioning the faders several times. If you get a message saying that the fader positioning is incomplete then you have not moved the faders to the correct positions during their setup. Note that this process will take several minutes.
DO NOT touch any controls whilst the system is being loaded. Finally you will get a COMPLETED and RESTART message. Press the ENTER key and all should be working.
If for any reason you want to format the disk whilst it is in the AW2400 then: Hold down the RECORD and MONITOR buttons and switch on. When the FORCE FORMAT message appears press ENTER.