The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: AW2400 Problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:28 pm 
Dude

Machine type: AW2400
Hi
Im a noob when it comes to midi so i hope someone can help me.
When i turn midi on/time clock and press play i only can hear 1 input and sometimes nothing but when i start record i can hear and record all inputs that i have connected
Whats the problem? Is it a bug?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: AW2400 Problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:07 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I'm not a midi guru. However, when it comes to recording on the 2400, there is one thing I consider a flaw. When you connect the input to the track on an instrument or vocal and do a playback (in order to practice), the connected track does not become active. In order to play along with the recorded tracks, you have to rehearse prior to connecting the track to be recorded. I know there is some form of logic for Yamaha to do it this way, but it beats the heck outta me.

So, I'm guessing this is the same thing for midi. Someone will be along soon to "splain!"

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:13 pm 
Marker Magician

It seems Ron beat me to the punch on this, but i will post what i typed in any event.

Not a bug I don't think. Probably not associated with midi either.

When you have inputs assigned to tracks, in preparation to record, you can monitor the inputs (so as to set levels etc.) as long as the transport is not engaged. But when you press play the assignment is interrupted - so no sound.... Press stop and you can hear the assigned channels again. But if you press both Play/Record then the machine records what you play and you will be able to hear it too. Why it is routed this way is beyond me, but I am sure they had some reason in the design.

It makes rehearsing to a point and then pressing Record to capture your transient muscle memory more difficult. You are not the first to be baffled by this quirk.

There are work arounds.

1. rehearse, then set up input> track assignments.

2. Set the assignments, then rehearse by pressing Play/Record. If you get a good one - keep it. If not so good> hit Undo after each pass (this keeps the HD from becoming cluttered with false takes)If you keep one of the rehearsal passes, you may want to move to another virtual track to avoid recording over your "keeper"

3. Use the AutoPunch facility. this allows rehearsal of the segment between the IN/Out points. There are quirks here too. the main one is that if you press stop before reaching the Out point, whilst actually recording, the Out point gets automatically reset to where you pressed stop. While this feature is useful in some situations, it is a Pain in the ass at others.

The machine does have its own idiosyncracies (sp), but once you have learned to forget about them and use the workarounds, they recede from your memory.

I was just tracking a friend yesterday and this came up. At your stage, this would have been a very frustrating event (was for me back then), but yesterday it was just "Oh yeah, that again - push a few buttons, establish what i wanted the player to do for me and then move on - -- no problem.

Do you intend to use this machine to record multiple inputs, in a gig or live recording environment ? If so, there is another quirk re: the monitoring capabilities of the machine that I will tell you about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:48 pm 
Dude

Thank you guys
I think i got it
That only happens when the record button is blinking/activated and i press play.
When the record funktion is off it works fine with midi on and i can hear every input.
I thought my AW is broken but good its not.

Byron i only record or make music with my Motif ES 6, MPC2500 and Akai S6000 and sometimes a E guitar from a firend.
So no live recording.
Im not a musician but i like to make music

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:05 pm 

AkAw wrote:
Im not a musician but i like to make music

Anyone who makes music is a musician.

Your 2400 is fine. As with any piece of gear, there is a learning curve. This forum is as good as in helping those in need uncover the answers to their questions.

It's also the best place for:

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm 
Dude

RZ yeah youre right but i mean i dont play any instrument or learned one so im not really a musician
Im a hobby musician :) and as long it makes fun i will do it
This forum is great im glad i found it :!:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:03 pm 
Marker Magician

Just to repeat, the playback issue while the record button is activated has nothing to do with the midi connections.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 am 

I don't play any particular instrument either. I just fake it.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm 
Dude

Byron wrote:
Just to repeat, the playback issue while the record button is activated has nothing to do with the midi connections.

Ok sorry my bad and thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:02 am 
Marker Magician

lots of questions come up as you learn new gear. don't ever hesitate to ask. By the way, your English has been quite satisfactory and gets your questions across to us people that have only one language.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:12 pm 
Dude

Thanks Byron i try my best when i write in english

Stupid question: When i want to record an E guitar can i insert it in any input?(1-8) or is there a specific input for guitars?
I ask this because the DPS got a specific Hi-Z input and i dont want to damage the AW.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:26 am 
Marker Magician

Any input. The 2400 does not have a dedicated HiZ input as do the earlier Aw series machines. In any event, you will not damage the machine if you plug in a high impedance instrument into a "regular" input. HiZ inputs are provided for optimum impedance matching, so to get the best signal. Not sure why the feature was left off the the 2400???

Someone will jump in with a more technical explanation perhaps. I do believe that if you plug a guitar with a passive (no battery) pickup into a DI box, the impedance will be transformed to low impedance, through the transformers in the DI box. Again someone will jump in if i am wrong on this.

I do not / have not used an E guitar. So I am not familiar with what level of signal it puts out????

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:17 am 

Can't say that I miss the hi z. I never used it on the 16g. I've always preferred using a pod or such guitar fx.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:32 pm 
Dude

Thank you for the answer