The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IDE SSD
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:46 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: curry
Machine type: AW2400
Are you sure that hd will work?

I saw the other thread on ssd as a replacement and contacted scan to place an order which was rejected as I was told what I wanted to do would not work. (See my post for full explanation)

All I want to do is get a spare hd which works.

I tried a Western something or other (brand new) and it would not work. Even Yam uk were unsure why there was a problem.

So with my limited understanding of hardware there must be some reason why one hd works and another does not (I did say my understanding was limited). But I cannot grasp why this should be when it is essentially just a hard drive.

Trying to get the new one to work was a real swine. Fortunately Scan took it back.

Therefore I would like to go ssd as it would be a new component, but Scan says that without "Trim Control" the ssd will fail. Something to do with how it stores data and the agent mentioned that I would have to manually maintain the ssd whatever that means.

I would also be happy to fit a new HD if only I was 100% certain that it would actually work.

Any understandable guidance would be more than welcome.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:10 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: bacon
I replaced my 40gig hard disk on the AW2400 with a larger 160 gig one over a year ago and it was pretty straightforward, even for someone without any in-depth knowledge. At the time I posted all the info on this site, but can't remember on which thread. The only thing that was critical was the disk, which is particular model and is a direct replacement for the standard one. Let me know if you're still struggling and I will probably be able to run through it all again...assuming I can still remember the details!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:17 pm 
Dude

Me again!
Just did a search and managed to find my original post for the hard disk replacement. Here is the text:

Firstly you MUST BUY THE CORRECT DISK which is the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160gig 2 meg cache. 3.5 inch, 3200 spin speed. Interface: Ultra ATA/100. Search on the internet for the Seagate product code which is: ST3160215A. It may be hard to find one, but do not be tempted to buy something else and hope it works - this disk is identical to the 40gig one already in the machine apart from the capacity. I am in the UK and mine cost £39 on Ebay.
If you bought a brand new disk then skip this bit, however if you are installing an old disk which has been previously used then ensure it is COMPLETELY BLANK and formatted for a PC. If you get a query about “Cluster Size” during formatting then ensure it is set to 64k which is the factory setting for a new AW2400.

Next get the operating system software for the internet. This can be obtained from http://download.yamaha.com by clicking on your country in the list that appears then entering AW2400 in the search box. In the screen that appears click on AW2400 at the bottom to bring up a list of related downloads. Select AW2400 OS Updater V1.13 from the list to download it. One of the files in the downloaded folder is called AW2400PG.BIN - this is the firmware operating system you will need (approx 9 meg). Burn it on to a blank, PC format CD. Note that the fixed operating system built into the AW2400 (boot version) is V1.01 and the firmware which you will be updating is V1.13.
If for any reason the downloaded file is called AW2400PG.BIN.cpgz or similar, this is the compressed file and needs opening to retrieve the AW2400PG.BIN file.

Unscrew the bottom panel on the AW2400 and replace the existing hard drive with the new one - I’m assuming most people can manage this. Put everything back together and switch on the AW2400, at which point you will get an ERROR message. Open the CD drawer and insert the system firmware CD you have created. Close the drawer and switch the AW2400 off.
Hold down the SONG and MIDI buttons on the top panel and switch the AW2400 back on. This ensures that the new operating system is loaded from the CD. At this point you will get a message asking if you want to install/update the system.

Press the top panel ENTER and follow the screen instructions which will include repositioning the faders several times. If you get a message saying that the fader positioning is incomplete then you have not moved the faders to the correct positions during their setup - I did it wrong several times before I realised I had confused the 0 and 00 points. Note that this will take several minutes.
DO NOT touch any controls whilst the system is being loaded.

Finally you will get a COMPLETED and RESTART message. Press the ENTER key and all should be working.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:23 pm 
Lone Star

Thanks Keeefy,

I will buy one off ebay and have a go.

I have looked for a brand new one of the spec you recommended but none exist (at present).

I will report back once I have done it.

I would like to try the ssd solution but I think it shall have to wait for some long term feedback from others as I know the pain of losing work caused by a hardware malfunction!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:07 pm 
Dude

I spotted a new one at pcupgrade.co.uk a while back, but it was £47. Let me know if you need any advice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:29 pm 
Lone Star

Hi Keeefy,

I found a brand new one! And am starting the install now.

Will report back on outcome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:51 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
Any Results on the outcome on this ?
Using a IDE to SATA converter with an SSD only resorts in a unhappy AW2400 that will not export or import audio tracks without crashing.
It will however record and play back! strange

This makes me want to try this IDE SSD to see if it works.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:14 pm 
Dude

This afternoon I fitted an ADATA 240Gb SSD to the AW2400.
ADATA Ultimate SU630 240GB Solid State Drive, black

I used this PATA to SATA interface:
StarTech.com IDE to SATA Hard Drive or Optical Drive Adapter Converter - 40-Pin PATA to 2.5" SATA HDD / SSD / ODD Converter (IDE2SAT2)

I actually had a PATA to SATA convertor knocking around the studio. After checking the pic closely in 'Robbiedoes' posting here:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=20205

it looked the same as the one I had, and the one I'm waiting on from Amazon above.
Anyhow, I've fitted it and can confirm the ssd is working. I tried loading in some projects from CD-R but had a few fail on me (the disk light remains lit), so I tried loading in about 10Gb of data over about 12 projects via USB and it seems to have liked this better. I haven't put a jumper on the PATA to SATA convertor card so that might be the reason the CD-R seems a little hit and miss.......it could also be the temperature of the CD-Rs as I've not been in the studio for a couple of months and it's taken it all day to warm up in here.

I recorded a few test takes and everything seemed ok there using punch in / punch out as well. With something like this though the real test will be using the unit thoroughly and seeing what gives.

Overall though, for about £40, I have a SSD solution with 221Gb available.........that's a lot of tape.....