The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:27 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Doritos
Hello!

I have a question about the AW2400 which I'm considering purchasing. The manual states it only can do DAW control utilizing the faders, on switches, and the transport buttons. Is that really it? Do any of the other buttons, jog wheel, rotary encoders send any kind of MIDI, even if sysex?

I also poured over the service manual and it says pretty much the same thing. I guess I'm hoping for more, but it doesn't seem it.

This device ticks just about every box for me, but I was hoping to be able to fully control Reaper (a DAW) from the AW once I was done tracking and transferrinug the stems via USB.

In the event this isn't possible, I may consider trying to mod the firmware if I do purchase one. I've already started poking at it, seems to be written for a SH-3 processor, still futzing with it in IDA.

Any info related to his would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:55 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I am sorry I can't help you out one bit. I've not used my 2400 as a control surface but i would be very interested in keeping track of what you discover and do with a 2400, if you indeed do pic one up. It is a great piece of gear. Mine has been dependable for eleven years now. I use mine regularly but I have also been learning the ropes on a protools setup owned by a friend these past few months. I really miss the control surface aspect. So I hope that you get some response here, but i am not holding my breath as many users here are "in the box" users from start to finish. That said there are some users who have since moved to new platforms who still check in. one in particular, named T.Mac. , utilizes a control surface with his Daw. Maybe he will jump in. Here is a passage from ne of his posts.

I use the AW1600 as a control surface through midi, the transport controls and faders and panpots work a treat.

I would suggest using the Search function to search T.Mac. as the user and control surface as the key word and see what he has to say. He moved to a 4416 as a control surface at one point. he has written about that. the 4416 is an interesting machine. Its faders and aux outs have additional assignment and patching capabilities. The 4416 has a fader layer that assigns the physical faders to the Aux out and associated buses. I wish the 2400 could have real faders for Aux. the 4416 has more Aux channels i do believe too.

Perhaps that is the machine you want to modify for your use. I have never tracked on one, but there are a couple of users here that have one. There is one legendary member of this forum who sadly passed away a number of years ago, Skygod. Search his posts using 4416 as a key word and you may well find some interesting tidbits. He was an "in the box" guy I think ?? He used a wavs y56k card I think in one of the slots (2 on the 4416 but only one on the 2400) the 2400 can use a y96k card from wavs. If your used machie has that, grab it. That card is hard to find and very useful when working "in the box" for mixing down.

Keep us posted please.

Other recent posts have been discussing installation of a SSD to replace the smallish HD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:15 pm 
Lone Star

Hi Byron,

Thanks so much for the info, very helpful. The 1600 and 2400 are almost identical in their MIDI implementation from looking at their manuals, so I'm thinking if you are having success with the 1600 it would be the same for the 2400? Does anything else work for you besides the transport, faders, and pan pot(s)? Does the jog wheel send any MIDI, or any of the buttons like the undo/redo?

I'll check out the 4416, I had my heart set on the 2400 for a few reasons, one being the USB connection, but the control functionality has to be there too.

And yes, I just saw the thread on the SSD swap, would definitely do that. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:17 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
As i said, I personally have never utilized the 2400 as a control surface.

T.Mac. is the user whose posts i would search. I know he has experience in this regard, although I am not sure what platform or control surface he currently uses. If there are active links to his music, take the time to listen. He has made some superior recordings, performance and technique both stand out. It has been some months since he posted here, but he may well turn up. People seem to return to this site to check in, even though the post flow is only a fraction of what it once was, as it is a very friendly, dairy-product loving place in the cyber-world.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 pm 
Lone Star

Byron wrote:
As i said, I personally have never utilized the 2400 as a control surface.

T.Mac. is the user whose posts i would search. I know he has experience in this regard, although I am not sure what platform or control surface he currently uses. If there are active links to his music, take the time to listen. He has made some superior recordings, performance and technique both stand out. It has been some months since he posted here, but he may well turn up. People seem to return to this site to check in, even though the post flow is only a fraction of what it once was, as it is a very friendly, dairy-product loving place in the cyber-world.

Yup, totally will do that. I guess what I meant was that I think in regards to the control surface functionality, the AW1600 and AW2400 seem almost identical and if MIDI was sent for say, the undo/redo button on the AW1600 it would surely be the same for the AW2400. So, if with an AW1600 a button press causes a MIDI event in a DAW, that would be a confirmation.

I also grabbed the firmware for the AW1600 and it seems pretty similar to the AW3200 in a lot of ways, which makes sense.

I will definitely go check out T.Mac.'s posts and music.

thanks Byron!