The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: AW2400 Fan/HDD noise
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:48 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
Any current owners like to comment on this. I record in the same room and have yet to find any reasonable info on the noise level of the fan in particular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:15 pm 
Greenhorn

Not realy a problem about the same as the G.
FTI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:40 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Ter G has a fan ? I installed a switch to manually turn mine on and off , on the 4416. I found it to be a bother sometimes. Someday I'll turn it back on. :lol:

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:36 pm 
Greenhorn

Sorry what I was tryng to say is that the overall noise from the AW2400 is not much worse than the G.
There is no fan in the G.
FTI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:30 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

How are you getting on with the learning curve of the 2400 ? Is it more like a G or totally different like the 4416 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:03 am 
Tenderfoot

Thanks for the info. I'll have the G for sometime to come but I will probably upgrade to the 2400 next time as I feel I could make a decent start with it now. One reason for upgrading would be to improve audio performance which won't happen if I can hear the fan. This is currently my only reservation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:29 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

I bet the 2400's fan is quieter than the 4416. In reality I don't ever recall it being that much of a bother. It drove my late friend Don nuts on his.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:21 pm 
Greenhorn

I have one of these

http://www.nexustek.nl/breeze.htm...........Addmitedly with an old CPU fan :oops:

As I am sitting next to my PC and I cant hear my aw2400 fan thats 6.5 ft away. When the PC is off I can hear the 2400 but it isnt that bad.

If you get a 2400 then try before you buy or get it on home app.

I have only used the 2400 and the G so I cant realy compare with any other Yam recording product.

As for the learning curve.......
Yup a little harder to get your head around, and having the G for a year or two has kind of trained me up.
The pre amps are better but still not enough gain on them.

Hope this helps,
FTI

Post subject: Re: AW2400 Fan/HDD noise
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:25 am 
Tenderfoot

I can now answer my own question. Yes I can hear the fan. With cans it is very obvious.

Although I didn't use gates for takes before, for fear of ruining a good take, I now use them all the time. My fears were unfounded - great for guitar where I used to erase the front of each take to remove noise, a little more difficult but manageable for vocals. I still have to remove the breaths, lip smacks, burps, slurps etc from start of vocal parts but there is no residual noise floor during the take.

Extra tip for newbies - turn the click OFF during vocal takes as it WILL bleed from the cans (will I ever learn!).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:17 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Hi,

fan noise is nor prblem for me. my AW is near a wall I covered with carpets to damp refelctions. The fan of the AW is on the back, no reflections appear and so no problem for recording. If you dont want to shut down the fan, I would try to put something close to the fan that will dampen the fan noise.

BTW: for me the fan is silent enough for recording

Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
I would like to make the fan silent on my machine, I could add a switch easily but Im thinking maybe there might be another option ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:55 am 
Boot Polisher

Modding my stand alone recorder to be silent, already upgraded to an SSD from the HDD installed, now time to install a fan switch to turn it off and up.

now lets see what we can do with this thing, mmmm yummy components! sweets!

aha! its comming together

oh dear I tried to drill a hole with a dremmel, it kinda worked but ooops I slipped oh well.. note to self DON'T RUSH!

oh dear I tried to drill a hole with a dremmel, it kinda worked but ooops I slipped oh well.. note to self DON'T RUSH!

now what can we make this do ? hmm that slowed down the fan. 5 Volt regulator NICE.

power connector

hmmmm, heatsink on the left gets pretty hot, could be an issue, might be worth an upgrade later down the line.

this is fun!

happy days!
This variable resistor is a switch too so Fan off, fan on and slow, fan faster as I turn the variable resistor. woohooo

Ok when Im recording a quiet track I can now have a totally silent room with no mechanical noises. :) success...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
A 2nd hand Aw1600 I bought over a year ago had a very noisy fan. The problem was solved by buying a thick rubber door mat and sitting the aw1600 on top of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:41 pm 
Boot Polisher

Interesting, What I noticed was that the internal hard drive was vibrating more than the fan, and by putting something rubber underneath it stopped the vibrations. Then I changed to SSD so all was good. the fan does cause some vibration too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Way to go. Nice photos. Would love to change to an SSD drive, but I'm not that brave.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 pm 
Boot Polisher

Well there is a bit of bad news, I Did have so far one song that said it was corrupted, id already backed it up. but not sure if that is from the SSD or from my backup copy not copying over right when I went from HDD to SSD so we shall see. If I have any more probs ill have to switch back to HDD, Laptop HDD is much quieter btw the small ones.
Ive only had that one issue so far though so time will tell.

Im currently trying to control my RME via AW2400 remote MIDI and going insane lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:39 pm 
Marker Magician

Corrupt song sometimes are a result of altering file names after archiving and then restoring.

It has happened to me a couple of times, with enough time passage between incidents that i had to re- search for the solution. It is a matter of making file names agree. I would have to go back and re-look at the specifics, but it is an easy fix. Let me know if this might be your situation and I will provide you with specifics, once I re-educate myself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:43 pm 
Marker Magician

Byron wrote:
Corrupt song sometimes are a result of altering file names after archiving and then restoring.

It has happened to me a couple of times, with enough time passage between incidents that i had to re- search for the solution. It is a matter of making file names agree. I would have to go back and re-look at the specifics, but it is an easy fix. Let me know if this might be your situation and I will provide you with specifics, once I re-educate myself.

So I just did a search on the forum, using my name in the Author field and the words File Name in the key word field. I found a Sticky i had posted in the Helpful Tips and Tricks thread.

I copy it below to save you the Search, but it is there. Make the file names agree and a corrupt file will be back. assuming this may be your problem.

I just spent some hours relearning something i had encountered before, but had forgotten. It is critical to success when retrieving files that have been archived.

First, if you do not know this already -- the best way to archive projects is to connect via usb, open the song folder on the partition you choose (there are two partitions that appear when usb connected) -- drag the project that you want to archive on to another drive and it will be copied there. So far so good - but --- perhaps the project's name is something generic, like 001 New Song for e.g. --- The temptation is to rename the project to something that will twig your memory as to the contents of the project -- so you right click your mouse and rename the project. --- years later you wish to revisit the project, so you reverse the steps above and drag the archived project, with the name you gratefully recognize, back into one of the AW song folders you have opened for that purpose (while connected via usb remember). It appears all is going well. The copy procedure completes, you can see the .aws file in the Song Folder, -- so you disconnect and go to the Song list -- only to find your project is not there !!!

The problem lies in the renaming you did long ago, for the purpose of recognizing the project in the future.

The solution is this -- Open the .aws folder (within your archive). There will be three icons showing. One is Audio ( with all the cryptically, numerically named wav files that are your data) The second is a folder named Render (with more cryptically named wav files) The third is not a folder at all, but rather an admin file. That item will remain named as was the project when you archived it. But recall -- you changed the projects name after you archived -- so -- simply rename the admin icon to match the project's name (everything before the .aws suffix attached to the project folder).

Now drag the Song.aws (Project) file to your Song folder on either partition and it will successfully transfer back onto your machine.

It took me about two hours to relearn this vital piece of procedure - and i offer it to you for free!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 pm 
Boot Polisher

Thanks a lot for this, I will give it a go!