The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:02 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Rereading this thread , allthough I have a Trion 6000 , two 7000's and an 8000 , my comments were based on the 7000 ribbon mic.

My 6000 doesn't get much use as I perfer a Baby Bottle on each Leslie rotor nowdays. The 8000 tuber , I use with a Kiwi for mid/side. The 7000 ribbons thru a pair of LA610's (or any mid to higher end preamp), still are held in high esteem for the piano around here.

Harmony-Central wrote:
#1---"What a truly bizarre microphone the Trion 6000 is. It has a huge hole where the lower mids are supposed to be. The mids are where the essence of the human voice should be - they are badly lacking in this mic.
The off-axis response of this mic is nasty, but the omni pickup pattern is absolutely terrible. Really, it sounds like it's still in figure-8 mode. Sources more than about 30 degrees off axis start to lose the highs until everything over a couple of hundred Hz is gone!
If you are old enough to remember the very first prototype mics to come out of China, you will get some idea of how this thing sounds... really, really bad."

#2--"The Trion 6000 is a dual large diaphragm condenser mic with the typical 3 polar patterns (cardioid, figure-8, omni). The mic is of the lolly-pop design and has a transformer-balaned output stage. I purchased this mic on a bit of a whim as CAD seemed to have some big names talking up their new Trion range.
The first thing that struck me when auditioning the mic was it's high self-noise. The Trion 6000 is easily the noisiest mic I own and is very noisey by todays standards. The mic sounds a little scooped in the mids to me, with an edgey top end, not particularly accurate.
Testing in Omni mode, the mic has some serious high frequency nulls at the sides. I know all omnis will suffer this a little, but the Trion's nulls are particularly apparent. By comparison, my AT4050 is much more linear around the circumference.
In cardioid mode, the mic sounds a little similar to a Studio Projects C1, only thinner, and as mentioned before, with much more self noise.
To my ears, the Trion 6000 is a poor mans Studio Projects C1 (or C3 if you want multi patterns)."

Sounds like they never tried the phase switch on their console.

I never had any noise issues with any of my Trions.

The odds are 50/50 you'll like it. (either you will or you won't) :lol:

And .........don't base everthing in a couple of crummy reviews.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:43 am 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Thanks G,

I opened it up today and started to do a mic comparison with some of my other cheapies(Blue 8 ball, SP B1, AKG C1000) when I noticed there were some slight scuffs on the mic and the shockmount...looks like it was a returned mic...well, I called for an RA #...they asked if I wanted an exchange...I said sure why not, I'd give it a go....then the cust serv rep says, oops, they're on back order for a couple of weeks...no mention, of course, on the web site...anyway, I said gimme my dough back...some lucky sucker will get this one I'm sure...Whaddya think about a Rode multipattern instead?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:02 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
All i've got in Rode is an NT1 , NT1A and a matched pair of NT5's . I don't know anything about the others.

Your the second commenter on shipping damage from Cad Trions. They come in very nice road cases. They would almost have to be outa the case to damage them.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:53 pm 
Greenhorn

Ok I have never tried the 6000 but I have the 8000.
I replaced the blue cap in the middle of the pic with a panasonic polyprop of the same value.
http://aycu09.webshots.com/image/9928/2 ... 822_fs.jpg
Really easy, so if you dont like whatever you sub with its undo-able.
The only downside for me was it brings the mic a little closer to the C1 sound (I have 2, love them but dont need a third), but I still think its worth doing as this really opens the sound of the mic both in hi and low FQ extension, mid clarity and airyness.

I know some of you guys think of modding as folly and/or heresy but if any of you try it I would love to hear about your experiences.

PS Before any of you ask why I didnt just valve roll (obviously this option isnt open to the OP)
Well I did, and it did make an improvement but just not enough.

FTI