The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:44 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Curry
Machine type: AW1600
My son is about to sell one of these....he operates an IMAC based / Logic studio and I'm still battling with my AW1600! Anyway, I keep reading about the weak pre-amps in the AW1600 so I thought I might buy this thing off him - he wants £400. A little bit of research on line carried me to this article in sound on sound. I don't know if anyone else read the article at the time? It appears that there is very little difference between budget pre amps and high end pre-amps for most of us. Interesting. Think I may have saved myself £400 there!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec12/articles/preamp-results.htm

Are the pre-amps in the AW1600 really that weak? I suspect the mic is more important...it probably also helps if the songs and the performer are good, too, don't you think? I mean, I don't listen to Sgt Peppers and think, crikey, that's crap because it was only recored on a 4 track!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:02 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I too have preamp option beyond the AW, but i have come to the point that i don't use them nearly as much as I'd thought I'd need. The thing about the AW pre amps is IMO that the gain needed to get in the zone is very often obtained betewwen 9 and 10 on the dial. Right at the top you seem to encounter some hiss and at 9 or 8.9 ther is not quit enough. So you are left with a very short travel on the dial to find a sweet spot. That makes recreating a gain structure very hard - but you should do your punch-ins at the time of tracking, if at all possible anyway.

Don't forget that there is +10 dB of digital gain available on the faders too, once you have your analog setting on the preamps. Look at the fader (inputs) screen, or do a fader flip (preferences) or look at the view screen for the input, showing the complete signal chain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:47 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
I don't use the aw1600 preamps.

I use an maudio dmp3. cheap and good. I also have a more expensive preamp that works really well as a bass Di.
Otherwise i cannot tell the difference with the expensive one.

I won't be spending more $ on preamps !+;

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:06 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I don't use the preamps on the recorder. I bought a dual channel Art preamp that I use and it works just fine.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:19 pm 
Marker Magician

Hey Ron, do you plug your ART into the inputs of a channel, or do you use the 2400's insert points on Channels one and two? Those two inserts actually allow you to bypasss the AW preamps. If you go in through the input jacks, the signal must go through the AW pres, even when the dial is all the way down. I usually do it that way and often end up using the AW pres to give a bit more gain if the source is so quiet ( acoustic guitar finger picking ) that would require pushing the external pre a bit too hard.

When can we expect the birthday song?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:16 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Channels one and two.

Birthday song is a work in progress. Not my best piece, but not my worst. I keep fumbling with the same ole thing . . . mud. Ahh, but it shall be what it shall be.

rz-land