The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 am 
Greenhorn

I've just ordered a new Valve Mic.Its a Red5 Audio RV15.Good deal on this weekend (50 pound off and a free set on 30 pound headphones) so I couldn't resist.

Read some good reviews of this mic which said for a budget valve mic its excellent.one of the reviews said that its performance can be redically improved by replacing the chinese tube for a Mullard one. Does anyone know how you would go about doing this?Would it be a complicated job?Something a complete novice could do? I haven't a clue.But the review said that changing the tube puts the mic in a completely different league, so when I take delivery on the mic, I'm keen to investigate.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
Alex,

I did this not too long ago. You just need to unscrew the mic case, pull the old tube out of its socket put the new.tube in. Very similar to replacing tubes in an amp but with much less room to move. Work carefully and try not to force anything.

I have used old millard tubes. I have nos telefunken 12at7 in my mic and it makes a hell of a.difference. Military fade tubes are best (JAN tubes for american brands). Old is.better .watford valves in the uk have been a good place to but from in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 pm 
Greenhorn

Many thanks Oscar.Reassuring that it is worth, and that I should be able to do it myself.Many thanks.Alex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:03 pm 
Greenhorn

Meant to say 'worth doing'!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

I was quite happy with a solid state condenser until my wive started to use it. It made her voice very cold. I read somewhere that tube mics worked.well on many female voices. Using that as an exude., I bought a cad m9 on whY for 200 bucks. swapped the stock 12ax7 for a.lower gain nos 12at7 that is as old as I am (1963) and hey presto, beautiful warm full sound. The missus soon lost interest in singing and I am left with a mic that suits my voice really well. Also works.great on a 3/4 acoustic guitar. I now usa the solid state condenser to mic clean amp.sounds, which is does better than an sm57 beta, which works well on dirty amp tones.
With a bit of luck, research and experimentation, I have found the best applications for.3.mics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:59 pm 
Greenhorn

Thanks for the extra info Oscar. Interesting what you say about the valve mic being perfect for your wife's voice. I will be using my new mic primarily for recording my wife's voice!

I had a little look at the Watford Valves site (thanks for the tip).

I found this old Philips one for £40:
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=677
Do you think this might be a good bet?

Also, they have these Harma ones for a new, cheaper option:
http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1979

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:48 am 
Finds Manual Useful

I have used philips jan tubes bought from watford tubes. They are great. don't know about harma. You may want t with a 12stay, which has less gain than a 12ax7, even though you mic comes with the ax. There is plenty on the net about tube replacements