The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:20 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: curry
Machine type: AW1600
I was thinking about building a preamp so I can avoid having to use the ones in my 1600 too much. I recall that building a simple preamp is pretty easy, but I'm a bit unsure when it comes to balanced signals and really low noise amps.

All the manufactured preamps I see available are (a) expensive and (b) packed with features I don't really want/need. In my mind it would look like a rack unit with xlr plugs going in, xlr plugs going out, clip LEDs on the front and a volume knob for each channel. I guess a power supply would be good too. I don't need tubes or EQ or phantom power or phase flipping, just real simple.

Has anyone tried to build such a thing before? Was it easy? Was it successful? Was it cheap?

cheers!
Hamish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:12 pm 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Like this?

http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:03 am 
City Slicker

yeh, like that, but less kitset style. I was actually thinking of taking a schematic and a PCB layout and printing my own boards, finding the parts and building the thing, stopping short or doing the design myself, although, can it be that hard? (hmm, yes, it probably is that hard).

I found one design, which looks promising. I'll post a link, if I can find it again

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:32 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
What would you think a project like this would cost? Would it be one channel, two, three . . .

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:20 pm 
City Slicker

I've priced up a 2 channel pre for about NZ$250. I've not looked for the cheapest sources, but I think I can definitely get it down since the most expensive item was the rank unit housing which is about NZ$80

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:24 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
The reason I asked it because unless you're a do-it-yerselfer (I am not), and just want to build one to your spec, there are some mightly fine ones out there for around the same money.

This would be my next choice in a 2 channel preamp:

rz-land