The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 pm 
Dude

Machine type: AW1600
Hey

I got delivery of an SPL goldmike preamp last week and we re recorded the vocals on 6 songs with it.

I'm still mixing them but wanted to share with you guys to get your thoughts on how the vocals sound recorded with it compared to direct into the 1600. I'm just using a rode NT1-A on it all.

http://www.4shared.com/play/18187748/76 ... dmike.html

Good reference point I reckon for those considering a mid price pre - I wasnt sure how much of a difference it would make but i'm really really chuffed with the results after using it only once so far - money well spent i reckon

Look forward to hearing what you guys thoughts are
jason

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:00 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Looks good on the RTA , the overall wave is nowhere near clipping but has a good level. Super clean.

The female vocalist seems to overpower the male vox at times and I'm not real fond of a nice acoustic guitar panned off to one side. Those are my only personal nits. Love the mandolin spice and especially the bass. All else first class !

They are good ! I listened to 'em all. Love to hear 'yall live.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:16 am 
Dude

Thanks man - really think the pre has made a big difference to the vocals. Still trying to mix my vocals a bit better - because my singing partner is a much better singer than me it's easy to mix her and i need to work hard to stop my weak voice getting lost - I've only been singing a short time so reckon i can make significant gains on that side simply with practice and improving my singing than anything else! so practice practice practice, gig gig gig ;-)

Just to get your thoughts on acoustic panning. Again i'm a total beginer and one of the things that i've really struggled with is where to pan everything to get the best spread but also most natural sound. acoustic guitar is definately the one i just cant seem to master!

If you took one of the songs as an example and advised where you would roughly put things would you mind? I can then go try it and see if it helps!

Very much appreciated - thanks dude!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:46 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
If you like the acoustic, play it again and pan it to the other side. Then you'll have a nice fat, stereo field. Change the tone somehow on the otherside. Doesn't really matter how...more highs, more lows...whatever you feel complements the mix.

I haven't had a listen yet, but I will when I get a minute.

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”