The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:26 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
An older article but still applies. Quite detailed in the pros abd cons of the various techniques.

http://psbg.emusician.com/ar/emusic_double_pleasure/index.htm

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:37 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Enjoyed the read Geno, always good to review. Best advice included was do not hesitate to experiment.

In the Mid - Side discussion several hardware possibilities were mentioned for decoding the signal. It did not mention that in the event you do not have a hardware decoder, the side signal can be copied to a third channel, pan the two side signals and reverse the phase of one of the side channels. You can not monitor the true mid side result as the recording proceeds, but during the mixing it is available. Proper sound checks, level setting, and some test record/mix takes makes the inability to monitor the M-S matrix more of an inconvenience than a roadblock.

My question - Is what i have just said true - or am I missing something? I am supposing this possibility to copy the third channel was overlooked because digital recording and editing was not a prevalent at the time of writing?

Do you have a M-S decoder, or do you use the split signal option?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:16 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Sorry Byron , I almost missed this post somehow.

About the only thing I M/S nowdays are plucked instruments (except piano) and a Hammond Leslie.

I use the Y-cord method , except I run each of the Y outputs to seperate stereo preamps that have variable mic impedance adjustments (like an MPA Gold or Focusrite Twin Tracks Pro) to overcome the problems associated with the split impedance issues with a y-cord. I find this works well and I have no real noticeable problems monitoring provided I remember to reverse the phase on one fig. 8 lobe.

I'm not a real M/S guru but when it works , it works well. Placement , seems to have more effect than anything to my ears.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:23 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Yes placement is important I am discovering too. Like the idea of the split signal going to separate pres. I never thought of this, though it is so obvious.

The M/S tracks I find very useful when recording in a hall (choirs - ensemble) Adds great realism. Not much is needed. Too much will make the mix hollow. I usually find myself pulling the M/S faders down from my initial settings, in relation to more direct mics, as the mix develops, but you sure do notice when it is gone. Another example of Less is More.