The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: my aingst
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:18 am 
Forum Poet

Favourite food: fresh
Machine type: AW16G
rhetoric pretty much

i'm a computer ass no question
and i begin this diatribe expecting no joy

what i am going to say in my not so unexpected fashion is that electronic music is in no way close to it's ??? time.
i have harsh emotions that i wish i had the intellect to express but my wiser self has over-rided my ass-hole self and wisened me to a complacency that i can abide.
assholes don't usually feel the need to explain their privilege but i'll do it anyway, :D
PHUK!
no really.
i can figure out a lot of things.
i love music.
i :LOVE music.

my better self tells me that bibbity music has it's due.

bibbity bop to my mind is computer reliant - MUSI (read: hands/mind/whatever:free):?music?

fuck me!

music is wha........?

something in my now sense of time likes all that crap ( due respect and comprehension of science etal - and i do NOT wish to trivialize)

but music is what hands make.

i am not fearful of misunderstanding

music must always be ( i can't avoid some kind of rotten thought within this stream because i jammed on billy idol's white wedding tonight BUT) there still exists a thing called music)

so what am i whining/bitching/warning about?
fuck, i don't know.
only those who've had their nose up a rat's ass know.

so here's my complaint

i am not dumb.
i am not paul mccartney.
i am no pussy.
i am not going to wait till you fuckin jack offs figure out how to make technology work.
fVck you.
politic yourselves to death till my next reincarnation
damn!

ps: i absolutely dig wendy carlos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:04 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
OK .........don't hold back. Tells us what you really think ! :lol: Hows yer head this mornin ?

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:35 pm 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Well Mac, midi is masturbation and I have to agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I do get the vibe from your rant and a couple of discussions with my old friend JM that there is a feeling that the midi lexicon is some sort of "borg collective" that strips your mind of it's desire to do anything else.

At least for me I don't have a whole lot of extra time to break away and jam with others. And those that I do jam with have (were friends first, the music is second) have little desire to learn the obscure Bossa Nova stuff that I like to play. Midi plays exactly what I want it to when I want it, doesn't forget the breaks and allows me to set up songs much faster than the G ever could.

There's nothing better than playing with good musicians on a great night. Trust me when your kids are non-driving teenagers in every extracurricular under the sun, you'll find out how precious jamming time is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:58 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

What is music?

What is art?

What is midi?

What is the sound of a half empty (no, completely empty) glass in Spishak's studio?

I've grown to view midi much like working on a car. There are those who work on cars as a means to an end (i.e., they want to drive somewhere in a car at the peak of its performance). There are those who just like working on cars for the sake of working on cars (playing with technology for technology's sake). There are those who don't want to work on cars, but want to drive somewhere (they buy karaoke cds or download midi tracks from the internet). It's all good in one way or another - just folks having fun with music and/or technology.

In this analogy I tend to avoid cars altogether and stroll leisurely along the sidewalks and trails. Something about musical automation leaves me feeling like I didn't stop and smell the flowers. However, as Mr. Bill points out (and yes, we have discussed the "philosophy" of midi at length over the years), my luddite approach does cut out a number of musical options from my world. It is probably also one of the main reasons this one man band can only seem to finish a song on the G every other year or so. :oops:

Post subject: Re: my aingst
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:00 pm 
preset ho

mcnewsxp wrote:

Not without the imagination in tow.

John Cale: Hedda Gabbler.

FGTH: Two Tribes.

Daft Punk: Harder Better Faster Stronger.

This could go on for some time. But, music is what the musician makes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:12 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Lysdexia wrote:
mcnewsxp wrote:

Not without the imagination in tow.

One could take this argument to extremes and say the orchestra is nothing more than Mozart's midi keyboard. I won't make that argument, mind you, but Lys's point about imagination is well taken. I guess the debate is always going to be imagination vs. execution. Some will argue you need both, some will argue you only need one (or the other).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:15 pm 
preset ho

JM wrote:
I didn't stop and smell the flowers.

MIDI is not perfect, but it is beautiful, can be random and invites creativity in ways that non-MIDI just can't. Either in solo or unison - music with MIDI is just one more way for the musician to be creative.

Take a funky MIDI drum file and set it trigger some lush, time-synced evolving pad from Absynth 4. Like a roll of the dice - sometimes you get double 6.

No MIDI - no Mu from Jah Wobble. This album is magical. No Love will tear us apart from Joy Division.

Why would any musician deny great - truly great - music because another employed something they do not?

Is it possible to listen Purest Love by Blackalicious and not just be enthralled? Without MIDI you can't smell the flowers because your nose is out of joint.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:18 pm 
preset ho

JM wrote:
I guess the debate is always going to be imagination vs. execution. Some will argue you need both, some will argue you only need one (or the other).

Wouldn't be much of a debate. I've never heard an explanation from non-midiers that explains why it's acceptable to employ electronica via reverbs, compressions, microphones, FX units galore. The devil is in the detail - but not to the extent that getting into bed with the Devil will be denied.

But, EEK: NO MIDI :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:13 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I don't use midi because that's not where I find joy in making music. It's really as simple as that for me. I have nothing against midi, and indeed there are many people (our own Geno among them) that use it to brilliant ends. The results are all subjective, of course. Where one person hears a deep, funky groove, another person hears a machine without soul.

My not using midi is in no way a judgement of it. Rather, it's just me being true to myself in indulging in what thrills me in the music making process, and that is the organic feel of fingers on guitar strings and drumsticks hitting drums. It's what I like, so it's what I do. Nothing more, nothing less. It's all good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:12 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

To me midi is just another tool , a wah pedal , a tube amp , an accoustic guitar , tambourine or whatever. To me nothing more , nothing less. I have posted dozens of pieces of music both with and without midi and I don't think it takes any less musicianship to use it or not. My primary use for it involves the ability to play more than one instrument at once. To me that is worth the price of midi's admission alone. At Texastock , I never played one bar of midi the whole week. Why? Because I had real musicians to play with. Although somewhat boring a midi "drummer" is one that never speeds up , slows down , late for a session ,or plays too loud. I love locking up with a real drummer in real time but most drummers are imtimidated by having to play with a sequencer or timed effect or patch. Midi will not follow a lazy drummer nor will a lazy drummer follow midi. It is not as easy to play along with a midi sequence as one might suspect. Midi has indeed tightened me up as a musician while I hand play along with it.

In summation I believe a player has nothing to prove or defend whether he uses it or not.

msg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:47 pm 
preset ho

JM wrote:
It's all good.

With allowances for REO Speedwagon.Of course. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:01 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Lysdexia wrote:
JM wrote:
It's all good.

With allowances for REO Speedwagon.Of course. :D

Well yeah, there is that. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:06 pm 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Well, well, well, guess who has a new album coming out? Yes it's REO Speedwagon Check out the glam shot, I think the gentleman second from the left borrowed the wrong wig from his wife.

Yeah well, I'd rather talk about midi with my G brothers around the planet than new and exciting ways to play an open A chord.. If you disagree Mac than maybe Art's midi corner is not for you, perhaps you could just let us geeks live in peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:28 am 
Forum Poet

head was surprisingly empty this morning, thanks for asking.
nothing new about that.

a hammer is a tool that you can bust your thumbs with.

MIDI busts my nut.

Quote:
new album

could have gone all day without kowing that....... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:51 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

mcnewsxp wrote:

could have gone all day without kowing that

:laughing3: That's onea da things I like 'bout Mac , He says it like he thinks it is. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:20 am 
preset ho

mcnewsxp wrote:
MIDI busts my nut :cry:

Same here - I just do everything inside Cubase SX3 and my midi never engages the world of cables and ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:43 am 
Forum Poet

hey - i don't think- i know....

to quote a stooge

frustration in buckets when trying to do the simplest thing using my MIDIotic schtuff.

BTW - any body know of a software or hardware tool that will allow for a click track that has time and tempo changes within a single piece.
has to be cheap and easy to use.

or do i wait for the Koreans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:30 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

any computer recording softeware can do that ......or......so can yer G by programming scenes w/tempo changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:51 am 
THE man!!!

Favourite food: roasted pig snouts
JM wrote:
Where one person hears a deep, funky groove, another person hears a machine without soul.

machines don't do it by themselves....unless some douchebag uses a crappy PRESET rythm that SOUNDS like a robot. I can see both sides of the fence on this one....but programmed music is ONLY as good as the HUMAN pressing the buttons. I can't play piano, but through some creative programming I can make it sound like I know what I'm doing on a piano. I actually wish I had a microchip in my head with a midi plug dangling out of my ear!!! I could get this whole concert of songs OUT of my head and ON to a recording.....I want to be assimilated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:31 am 
The other man !!!

mrskygod wrote:
Although somewhat boring a midi "drummer" is one that never speeds up , slows down , late for a session ,or plays too loud.

But these are the things that make us drummers so damn lovable!!!!

:love4: :love5: :love7: :love2: :love10: :love9: :love8: :love5: :love6: :love7: :love5: :love4: :sex: :love5: :love6: :love7: :love3: :love4: :love10:

Guitar players have charm;

Singers have charisma;

Bass players have mystery;

Keyboard players have passion;

Drummers have botched fills.

Yet the drummer gets all the girls...

:thumbup:

-paint