The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: midi bulk dumps
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:40 am 
THE man!!!

Favourite food: roasted pig snouts
Machine type: AW16G
I know what they are, but I've never done it. I have a roland TD-10 drum brain for my electric kit, and I would like to backup all my years of custom drum kits before the memory battery dies, so I can replace the battery and get my drumkits back in it. The manual is very vague about how to do it. So I'm guessing that I would setup my keyboard sequencer to record, and press the button on the drum brain to send a bulk dump to the keyboard via midi cable(with keyboard recording) Then to send it back I'd get the drum brain ready to accept a bulk dump and press play on the sequencer. Am I even close? The keyboard manual doesn't say anything about bulk dumps, and the brain manual only tell you how to send a bulk dump. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:56 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Use this instead

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:52 am 
THE man!!!

Thanks Geno, but my computer has no midi ports :banghead: I saw the thread "how to take a midi dump" when I searched before my post, and saw that cool program, but my computer is powered by COAL!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:10 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
you'll have to save it to a sequencer , change the battery and hope for the sysex reloads.

Or a little tip from the old man , (I do this on anything that has a battery powered memory from cars to computers ) I take a DC power supply and dial up the DC voltage to whatever the battery is rated at. Then I take 2 clip leads and carefully connect them (observing proper polarity) to the circuit board from the DC power supply. Then I change battery and the memory doesn't know any difference.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:57 am 
THE man!!!

:lol: I tried that once.......why do you think my hair looks like this? I called roland and got it sorted. Thanks Geno! Off to find that pesky memory battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:05 am 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Spimeister are you sure that coal powered computer doesn't have a usb port? If so a simple midisport uno should do the trick. In days of old there used to be a midi interface that plugged into the joystick port on the soundcard. I've done a quick search for such an animal but have come up empty handed.

At the risk of telling you something you already know, computers don't have midi ports, you need to supply the interface. There were a great many Apple 2's, Commodore 64's and IBM 386's handling reasonably sophistocated midi chores not too long ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:41 am 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Well, I just couldn't leave it alone, I finally found scads of midi cable peddlers, they all sell the same cable ranging in price from $15 to $27, the cheapest one is here.

Consider yourself warned, once you execute the dump, your midi curiosity will lead you straight to the gates of MIDI HELL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:42 am 
THE man!!!

Hello oh wise and powerful master of B.S. :lol: I don't use computers AT ALL for musical purposes, other than ripping music into WMP 10, and playing it. I do not want to shell out cash for a sound card or adapter for midi.

I called roland, and got the answer I needed: record the bulk dump in a sequence on my roland fantom X6, and play it back to the drum brain to restore my user settings. Pretty much how I guessed....just have never done it, and that BUGGED ME!! thanx Mr. Bill