The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Riddle me this
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:17 pm 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Machine type: AW16G
For some perverse reason I decided to write instrument definitions for my two midi devices with patches, the Juno D and the POD, such that Sonar would communicate more freely with each device.

The POD was a snap and later found out that a POD .ins file was already written and harbored in MIDIOX. The Juno was more complex. When writing the Juno scripts I noticed that each patch group (Piano, Keyboard, Synth etc) had at least two different MSB (Controller 0) groups involved.

Is there a reason for this? Intuitevely I thought "OK, 80 piano patches it will be MSB 84 LSB 0-79. I was wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:51 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Maybe a dumb question , but , are you sending control a change message (or a sysex) to select a "bank" before the program change message ?

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:05 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Then , I too have a midi war going on today. My Dave Smith Poly editor won't totaly comunicate with the synth. It is receiveing note messages but that's about it. I refuses to send sysex when interoggated by the editor. The sysex filter on the keyboard is off. We're all talking on channel one.
The XP help files don't work on Vista :twisted:

The interface and drivers seemed to load OK. I don't know if the editor or interface may be the culprit because of Windows Vista.

May have to shoot off another e-mail to Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:54 pm 

Quote:
are you sending control a change message (or a sysex) to select a "bank" before the program change message ?

Neither, but I'm not executing patch changes real time if that's what you're referring to. All I'm up to is inserting a "patch change" event at the desired time and then manually selecting bank and patch.

Any luck with the Smith? The more I hear about vista, the more I want to stick with XP or just jump to Apple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:48 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Mr. Bill wrote:
Quote:
are you sending control a change message (or a sysex) to select a "bank" before the program change message ?

Neither, but I'm not executing patch changes real time if that's what you're referring to. All I'm up to is inserting a "patch change" event at the desired time and then manually selecting bank and patch.

Any luck with the Smith? The more I hear about vista, the more I want to stick with XP or just jump to Apple.

Some machines require a CC or SysEx message (to specify the bank the patch is in) before the PC message. Some machines ignore the LSD bit while the MSD bit is most certainly required for both separate messages if sent.

Because I can read the help file in XP , I'll try that before I bother Dave again. Actually I may need to direct my questions to Soundforge who actually wrote the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:40 pm 

Are you using midiox to communicate? Could you have accidently toggled the pass sysex? From your initial description, I assumed the interrogative message was getting through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:50 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Nope an M-Audio Uno 1x1 is the interface. All of the filters are off on both the hardware unit and the software editor. It's passing note messages but I can't get it to copy the patches (sysex) from the PEK to the editor. I'm gonna work on it some more tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:21 pm 

Well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:33 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

had some distractions........ :oops: .......workin on it now. It's starting to stink like I need another midi thru box to send sysex and note messages separately. Just a hunch though.

The fix is not something stupidly obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:13 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Still no joy. The Dave Smith editor still refuses to hum. DS support (actually Soundforge) said it should work with Vista and suggested the midi interface is the culprit. They said to install another midi program to determine if the interface or the operating system was suspect. I loaded up my FCB1010 pedal editor and hooked everything up and Vista promptly crashed. No boot process. Tried the restore registry to an earlier time program , the Vista recovery software , the chkdsk /f , (vista hid the run icon , another hour wasted) , and finally out of pure frustration , I ran the factory "lose everything on the hard drive" installation disk. Still no booty. Called Toshiba support and they went thru the same proceedures I did , low and behold the HD re-smear took. I didn't loose anything important but I need a Vista driver for my M-audio interface.

Jeeze , I shoulda bought a Mac.........hey Sharon ! Need a laptop ?

msg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:04 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Ok , the plot thickens . Yeah I probably do need a Vista driver for the laptop but that wasn't the root of the boot up problem. Come to find out the it was the 1 MB memory chip I added last week that went pear shaped. The only reason it booted after the software reload was that I configured everything the way it was when I brought it home. when I reinstalled the memory , the same problem returned. Kinda crappy that all that diagnostic software and tech support didn't have a clue. (of course I discovered it quite by accident). Took the chip out , everything peachy!
Back in.....ta tas up.

I may retry the XP uno midi drivers again tomorrow. Half a day was wasted on this crash.

Jeeze , I hate computers.

msg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:27 pm 

Quote:
Half a day was wasted on this crash

Bummer, I think we've all been down that road, it stinks. Windows and Midi... there's gotta be a death metal tune somewhere in there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:26 am 
Shrimp Ho

Favourite food: Spicy curry mmm good
MSG,

I think the M-Audio midisport UNO driver should work on Vista. The same driver (ver. 8/2/05 - 4.2.0) is used for XP, ME, 2000 & Windows 98 SE. M-Audio doesn't list one on their driver update web page for Vista, but I'm almost certain they'll use the same one.

You may want to try this sanity check:

Go to Control Panel --> Sounds & Audio Devices --> Audio --> MIDI music playback and click the down arrow on the drop down pick list to see what selections you have for the default MIDI output device. If USB Uno MIDI out doesn't show up, then your driver didn't load. If you want to use this (UNO) driver for the default MIDI playback device then be sure to select it. That should allow you send MIDI output from Windows Media Player or other software sequencers to your synth. You can always change this (default) selection back if you want to playback MIDI through your sound card without hooking up to a synth.

Also you may want to check your selection of MIDI input/output devices used by your MIDI editor. I have to select them (it's not automatically selected) with my 3.01 version of Cakewalk.

That's the best this Midiot can do for you for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:04 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Hmmmmmm Control panel shows no sound devices. Yes windows media player will play midi files , there is no way to slow down the messages contained in sysex files to be loaded in a device.

Yamaha has a generic vista driver for the Motif ES so I can make it the master sequencer for now.

Motu has one to on their interface device.

Looks like Emu's releasing their drivers mid April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 pm 
Shrimp Ho

Favourite food: Spicy curry mmm good
Quote:
Control panel shows no sound devices
- If WMP is working you must have at least one MIDI device driver available. So maybe the new Vista control panel UI is the problem. I understand that you can restore the classic control panel UI - like you see with XP, 2000, etc. Just select Classic View when you open the control panel.

I think I'll wait a little longer, maybe a lot longer :confused1: to upgrade to Vista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:12 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Cajunator wrote:
Just select Classic View when you open the control panel.

Thanks already did that. :twisted:

I'm assuming my version is 32 bit.(the 64 bit version has almost no software available)

Edirol has a set of both Viata drivers for the UM-1EX on their website. Think I'll try to reload XP drivers I have and try again. We know the memory failed during the last crash , so I may have blamed the software wrongly. Otherwise I'll change hardware and download their drivers.

Cajunator wrote:
Also you may want to check your selection of MIDI input/output devices used by your MIDI editor. I have to select them (it's not automatically selected) with my 3.01 version of Cakewalk.

The DS editor "saw the midisport" on it's setup page but it didn't comunicate with it remember ?

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:21 pm 

Favourite food: Sushi
If I find the time tonight, I'll try to install my M-Audio Firewire interface on Vista... I'm curious what will happen :-)!