The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie help!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:29 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Hi all,

Total beginner really. I have an AW1600 and a PC running Cubase SE 3. I'm pretty good running Cubase on its own and I'm OK with the AW1600.

Question is - how on Earth do I use the two together?
I have a midi sequence which I've got souding good (using Reason for the sounds) and I want to combine it with some live audio - drums etc.

I could just port the whole the sequence over by connecting the Audio output of my Tascam Audio interface to the inputs on the AW1600. But I want to be able to transfer the sequencer tracks one by one - strings separate from organ/piano etc etc, so I can add effects and compression and do the final mix with the AW1600.

I figure I need to be able to get the AW1600 to operate the transport controls in Cubase so that everything is neatly synchronised and the strings aren't for example half a beat late (as might happen if I manually pressed record on the AW1600 at the same time as pressing play on Cubase).

I have the AW1600's midi out connected the midi in on the Tascam interface, and I've fiddled with a few settings on the AW1600 and in Cubase, but I can't get it to do anything - basically I don't really understand the settings.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance,

Xavier

Post subject: Re: Newbie help!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:34 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Hope I'm reading this right. First , the 1600 will not play sequencer files. It can only process audio (mp3 or wav.) files. Why not run the sequencer in Cubase to the synth you are using (I'm assuming that's what you are doing) , convert the midi track into an audio file. Sonar will do this using the bouce to track command. I'm sure Cubase also has a way of doing the same thing. Then drag and drop the sequenced sudio track to the desktop and use the 1600's wave import to move it from the desktop to an individual 1600 track (using the USB connection) where you can use it's effects and dynamics on the single track. Repeat this for each track. There should not be any timing issues using drag and drop out of Cubase.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the party.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:07 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Welcome, brother in education. 8)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:47 am 
Welcome to the Forum!

mrskygod- i don't think you understood. I'm doing a recording where there will be some live instruments and singers, but also some midi stuff, recorded as a sequence in cubase. The sounds are made by reason - basically a software synth. I could just take the audio output from my computer and record all the audio generated by Reason into a stereo pair of tracks on the aw1600 and then record drums and vocals after. But i actually want to record the audio from the sequencer as separate tracks- eg strings as a stereo pair, piano as another pair etc. This would mean playing the sequence through 3 or 4 times with the tracks i want recorded soloed. That's fine, but i want to only have to use the transport controls on the aw1600 so that hitting record on the aw1600 starts the sequencer playing at exactly the same time, so that when i come to record the next tracks i don't have to worry about exactly synchronising pressing record on the aw1600 and play in cubase. I want the aw1600 to control the transport operations in cubase. Does that clarify a bit? Thanks again!