The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: using scenes for mixdown
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:03 am 
Forum Poet

Favourite food: fresh
Machine type: AW16G
guess i'm ready to learn something new.
can someone point me to the right page in the good book (manual) where it says here's how you use saved scenes for "automated" setting changes during mixdown.
couldn't find it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:10 am 
Tinhorn

I could be wrong , butttttttt....

for the aw1600, look on page 149, creating a tempo map.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:22 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
Chapter 8, page 73. Libraries and Scenes.

A caveat: Be prepared for some frustration. If you make any change to your settings after establishing a scene(s), then you must update ALL of them that would include that change. I.e., add a new track and now change all scenes and resave.

They are powerful, but can cause a lot of frustration. Especially, when you play a song and something you have just changed (w/o updating the scenes) gets reset. Arggggh!

I just got bit recently when I wanted to record to a new track and the scenes shut it off when I started the song.

IMHO, best use of scenes is to enable them when almost everything is done with the song (unless you only have one at the start).

Happy "sceneing",

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:35 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Scenes are great, but I have come to use them cautiously during the development of the mix. There is no global editing allowed of scenes. Therefore if you have, say, six scenes in place, and then as you develop the sound in your mix, perhaps by changing the eq on that acoustic guitar, you will end up changing it manually in six scenes, with all the attendant opportunities for error in the naming of these scene sequences. Time consuming and sometimes leading to headache. This holds true for everything - panning included. I have come to knowing when I could eventually place a scene and then saving that until closer to the very end, when I can utilize the main mix to create all the scenes I need to turn things on/off or adjust volumes. By this time you may have rehearsed the turning off or on of tracks, volumes etc. enough to not actually need the scene, but do the operation in real time as the mix is being recorded. I've found scenes particularly useful in ramping up/damping down effects to control reverb and delays at the ends of breaks, vocal lines etc. Pretty hard to do these sorts of adjustment in real time on this unit.

I use scenes regularly, but try to follow my own advice as outlined. Additionally, make sure your assigned tempo is spot on, and then your ins and outs will be accurate. Bringing an effect in on the last beat of the previous measure is sometimes good practice, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Byron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:50 am 
Wants You

I usually just keep one 'master' scene while putting my songs together. Towards the end of the project I will use the master scene to branch out to some 'sub-scenes'. It's probably best to keep the number of scenes down to a minimum unless you're a really good note-taker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:46 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Also remember scene changes on the G and 1600 are governed by the beat clock only in the tempo map. One of the things the 4416 /2400 gas over the G is the ability to change scenes by the clock or frame counter.

If you need an eighth note scene change on the G simply double the original beat tempo for that resolution.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59 pm 
Forum Poet

great tips, byron.

i have been using a master scene for every tune so far - ever since record my second song on the G.

so where do i *map* these scenes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:20 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

You put the scenes in the song by placing "events" in the tempo map. Pages 142-143 of the G manual.

I'm with Byron, I've never gotten to automated mixing because I tend to tweak things (especially EQ) until the end, and editing every scene because I tweaked the EQ in the bass seems a pain. As of now, my mixes have been straightforward enough that manual adjustments in real time have sufficed. I'm sure that will change, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
In the song menu, toggle down to tempo. A list appears It lets you control the scene currently active, down to a beat. Sets the tempo and time signature, and also lets you control the sample actually used on the pads. This could be useful in limited circumstances. The 1600 allows grid control of the pads, so it is relatively easy to "fly in" a riff or series of handclaps for example from the pads. A scene would allow you to turn pads on and off, and go between the four layers A - D that the pads have. The scene list is fairly intuitive, but be careful to use the scene # designation as it appears in list of scenes. This can be a bit confusing at times, working with the nunbers, instead of the names you gave the scenes. Getting to know the scene env. is definately worth the effort.

Byron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:16 pm 
Forum Poet

thanks again byron. i'll give it a try.

my mixes have been pretty simple or at least manageable up to now, but most likely because they have to be. i am hoping i can do more fine tuning and create more interesting mixes.

i can see the logic of waiting till one is sure about eq choices before applying scenes etc, but i expect to have a few do-overs before the logic takes...