The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: flanger settings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:25 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Trying to set up a flanger to use on a stem mix of guitars (acoustic). Have used the preset, and like the concept on the mix (especially on a twelve string that is part of the stem), but am having some trouble getting my head around the parameters, so that I can tweek it effectively. I've read the manual of course, and searched the net for articles, so i have a basic idea of the concept. I think I have a handle on the theory behind the depth and delay controls, but I am not quite sure about the frequency control. The preset sets it quite low at 0.25 hZ, but the upper range is 40.0. I'd appreciate some advice on how to deal with this parameter and/or flangers in general, as applied to a stem, or a complete mix.

Thanks

Byron

Post subject: Re: flanger settings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:42 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Like any other sinsoidal modulated effect , I like to tempo match the frequency parameter. divide the tempo by
60 and the result will be the frequency in hertz. This number or any multiple or sub-multiple is pleasing to the ear. The depth is just an ear thing to me. Like most effects less is more.

Try it and see.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:36 am 
Marker Magician

Thanks Geno. 115/60 = 1.92 hZ for the flanger frequency setting . I now use the delay calculator that you posted on another thread a few weeks back. Prior to that I was constantly using pen and paper to divide 30 000(ms)/tempo = delay setting (ms). I'm not getting as much long division practice now though! Of course when you modify this number to set delays it is doubled or halved. So, when you say multiples of the hZ calculation, do you mean multiples (say 1.92 x 3 for instance) or is it best to double or halve, as with the delay parameter?

I do note the software delay calculator gives a factor for a triplets setting. I've not used such a setting on a delay yet. I'll have to give it a try. If you have set delays in this fashion, when would a triplets setting work well?

Regards,
Byron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:11 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

I never use triplets on effects. And the only time I use triplets on a synth patch is to add an element of swing . I'm sure the drummers out there would have better use of it than I.

The delay calc gives whole note , half , quarters , eighths , sixteenth and 32nds if memory serves. Also there is a 2x whole note time as well. I usuually use whole or half note freqs for delays. Quarters and sixteenths on LCR stereo delays.

Your ears will tell you what works best. Faster tempos usually sound better with whole or 2x freqs IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:02 pm 
Marker Magician

I guess I distracted you from my main question. When you are adjusting the frequency setting on the flanger, is it best to move strictly in increments of doubles or halves ( as with the delay) , or does any multiple work?

Byron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:31 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Doubles or halves Byron.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:57 pm 
Marker Magician

Thanks. I'll take a kick at the can tonight. While I'm on the subject - the delay parameter sets the minimum delay, that is then modulated, I suppose under the influence of the depth and/or frequency parameters??? Should that (minimum) delay also be set to a factor of the delay calculation or is this important, as the delay modulates anyway. I guess you would have to extend your software calculator's table by one set of cells (to 64ths) if this is indeed the the preferable way to set up the flange.

Thanks again,

Byron