The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:40 am 
THE man!!!

Favourite food: roasted pig snouts
Machine type: AW16G
We all know the G's reverb sux. So I was thinking that I could use the reverb in my roland fantom X6 keyboard, which is pretty good. I'm a little confused on how to do it, though. I'm thinking of using reverb as a "global" effect, soooo.... if instruments are panned in the G, would I use the AUX outs as a stereo bus INTO the X6, and then return them in stereo to the G? And use the SEND knob(in the G) to dictate how much each instrument gets sent to the reverb? In this scenario I'd have the G's faders for each instruments' levels, AND a stereo track fader that's for the "returned reverb" level.....but how would I get the balance of wet/dry right? And could somebody please explain the "feedback" problem that can occur when sending and returning things. I hope this all makes sense. Please school me in the ways of FX routing 101.....the G's stage reverb sounds like a zipper :shock: or popcorn or something :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:26 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

If you want to maintain the stereo spread of your mix and keep the stereo reverb faithful to that, you're going to have to do some fancy aux sending, as the G has two mono aux sends. I'd set the external effect's mix at 100% wet and control the reverb levels through the aux send controls.

Here's the tricky part - you're going to have to think of aux 1 as left and aux 2 as right (or vice versa depending on your personal taste in number/direction relationships). If you have something hard-panned left you will use only the aux 1 send for it. Likewise - right panned would be aux 2. If you have something panned somewhere in between the extremes you'll have to set the relative aux 1 and 2 sends to try and maintain that panning on the effect as well. Good luck. :roll:

Obviously when you input them back into the G you'll have to pan the inputs correctly to maintain the proper stereo spread. However, a cool way to add depth to a mix without muddying it up is to pan an ambient effect (reverb, delay) away from the original source. Try sending them to opposite sides and see what happens. I like to go into the G's effect:edit screen and pan the returns around. You can do cool things like have an echo that moves across the stereo spectrum (use stereo delay with a single repeat, pan the source left, pan the first echo center and the second echo right).

Ah, but I'm babbling now. :oops:

I've not had the feedback problem the few times I've used the aux sends for external effects. I'd imagine you'll be fine as long as you make sure the inputs you're returning to are not routed to one of the aux buses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:29 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Hmmm....in rereading your original post, you mention using a stereo fader to control the reverb returns. If you were doing it live during mixdown you'd have to get into the input channel view screen and manipulate the volume that way. However, now that you mention it, there's no reason you couldn't actually record the reverb return onto a paired track (assuming you have the space) and actually have it as another track to control at mixdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:04 am 
THE man!!!

Favourite food: roasted pig snouts
HEY!! thanks JM!! excellent pointers :thumbup: I was wondering how to pan a guitar's reverb to the opposite side :tard: I had never used/found that FX edit screen.....I'll make sure to find it NOW :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:02 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Just press the effect button until it pops up (the effect:edit screen, not the button :D ). Have fun.