The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:50 am 
Thief crusher

Jilly

Me too!!! although without the sunshine. I've been up since 7.00 doing housework and such like. What are we like, eh?, lucky this is a PM and nobody else will know about it.

8)

http://www.myspace.com/higherpoweruk

Post subject: marigolds
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:11 pm 
Mistress of Dinicestock

i know! the rest of the world is merely sleeping, wheras we are getting on with the dusting. They are clearly just wasting a sunday morning, quite frankly, its just shocking.
i am very happy to know that even being an internationally famous keyboard player hasn't stopped you from doing the mundane tasks in life, like hoovering. your secret's safe with me, won't tell a soul.

ps. le chef will be pleased with you! she might make you lasagne?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:22 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
HA! Got ya both beat...went to bed at 3 and up at 6:45! :P

Housework? So to speak...doing some NiceStock editing.

Why 3? We went up into the mountains last night to hear Nathan and his band play (he's been playing with these two guys for about 3 or 4 months). The drummer's parents (Nate's playing bass) were having a party and we were invited. The kids were also auditioning for a spot on a venue with another band that was there--some relation to the people having the party. However, what could go wrong for poor Nate and his buddies did. First, the drummer put the batter head of the kick pedal right through kick skin :roll: which of course stopped things cold...luckily he had an old one lyin' around to replace it. But, the biggest cardinal rule of giggin' is NEVER use new equipment together for the first time. The guitar player, after playing on my PODxt, went out and bought himself a multi-effect pedal...the new Vox model I think...and used it for the first time with his Marshal. Of course, he was used to using the distrotion and crunch built into the Marshal. Bad marriage with the effect pedal! I could see he wasn't happy with the sound and then he would turn and all kinds of really ugly feedback would start howling and not stop. Well, that stopped like two tunes. So, I went up and at least got the kid into the clean channel of the amp, but he would change patches (none of which of course were ever adjusted for playing in the band) and Wham! Stop another tune. The guitarist from the band they were auditioning for came up and adjusted the patch for the guy...in the meantime I told the kid...and these are all really nice kids...that he has three patches that are working well...stick to them and you'll be okay. So he did and they finished the set. Oh, and to top it off, the battery died in the preamp of Nate's bass (no backup Son?). Overall, they were really pretty good together...but with how they reacted to the problems they were having it was clear to me--as it was to this other band (more in a second)--that the band just isn't ready for professional stage.

These kids trust me (I've kinda gradually slid in as their manager of sorts) and they came to talk to me afterward. But, they already knew what I was going to say...I'm sorry guys, but you're just not ready to play at this other band's level. You broke two rules...never use equipment that hasn't first been proven out, and never, ever stop a tune dead in its tracks. Turn down the volume, finish the tune early, whatever, but finish together and then explain that you're having some technical difficulties and fix them as fast as possible.

About the other band they were auditioning for...they were pretty pro. Damn good singer, guitarist (not nearly as good as our Ronnie, but quite respectable) and a bass player nearly as good as Lys. We talked quite a bit together...they have a drummer and keyboardist (synth) that couldn't make it...and we talked about doing their demo they're planning here at Studio ChâteauNeuf. They invited me to hear them at their next concert to understand their music--all original comp--and how they work together. We exchanged phone numbers so we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:33 pm 
Mistress of Dinicestock

hi david
i was just going to go visit you at myspace and here you are!
you are always there for one bunch of players or another, a superhero, saving the musical planet :lol:
how is it all going at the recording/editing end are you enjoying your work/coping with it all, or are you getting a bit fed up with the mountain of tasks? (housework is probably easier even in this GD heat)
i am supposed to be painting (hence domesticity, and procrastinating i have that horrible panic fear when facing a blank canvas) i need my butt kicked.

think i'll wash the windows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:41 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
:lol: :lol: :lol: :
Quote:
i need my butt kicked

I can do dat!

Yes, saving the planet is one of my hobbies. :D

Things are going well. I've been adding my tracks on things, and that takes time and effort...I'm trying to get as much done as possible before vacation ends, which sadly is tomorrow, and so I'm not as far along as I'd like to be. Plus, Nate's band loves the live room, so they've been rehearsing here (I'm not sure who loves my live room more, them, or the drummer's parents where they used to rehearse :roll: ), so that's slowed me down here and there--plus that evil swimming pool keeps calling my name. I'll have something more posted hopefully this evening.

Post subject: gonna do it
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:48 pm 
Mistress of Dinicestock

oouch that hurt!!

butt thanks :lol:

consider it kicked, i'll email you the finished result (hopefully the painting and not a pic of the shiny clean windows...)

good luck 2u2 jx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:50 pm 
Thief crusher

Ahhh, the memories come flooding back, David.

Havent we all been there before, all eyes watching you and the sound coming out is nothing like what you imagined or wanted, then you have an adrenalin hyped drummer destroying his kit, batteries that you were sure youd just replaced failing and then other people showing you up by adjusting your equipment for you (all with the best of intentions of course!). I do believe the young lads have just gained 'Experience'

Give them these words from me, one who has been there -

The Rule of the 5 'P's

'Poor Preparation Produces Poor Performance'
. (will that translate?)

And always remember and realise, practicing is only one small part of 'Preparation'

I'm sure they will be heartbroken this morning and my sympathies lie with them, but stand them up, shake them down and tell them to get on with it, tomorrow brings a new dawn.

I look forward to hearing your work with both bands Commander

The Doc

PS Jilly - Hoovering will have to wait untill the afternoon as I live mid terrace on an estate, and thank you for this
Quote:
being an internationally famous keyboard player
. It has a nice ring to it, I might even take the role on full time! :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/higherpoweruk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:58 pm 
Mistress of Dinicestock

yes, yes
totally! tomorrow brings a new dawn, that you can make use of and do something better, more worthwhile, something that counts, changes your life, improves someone else's, touches someone's heart...

yada yada, ok ok i'm going...
enjoy your respective weekends :)