The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:56 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
DCinFrance wrote:
Friday, June 30, 2006

Gettin' down to the wire...

So the saga of the missing Les Paul continues. Hairy Bawbag informs me that they are confident that it left Scotland. Ah bon? I got that much info off the tracking on the Internet...it left Glasgow on the 23rd. This is their Crack International Tracking Team. Uh-huh.

Meanwhile, we wait for the lost LP.

Can't believe you didn't learn the lesson on the bass last time. :D

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:52 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
Aww, what's a few grand between friends? Just don't tell Bawbag that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:20 am 
Guitar Ho

July 6th at Myspace

What a fantastic day. We made all the final connections in the studio, trouble shot the important links, and recorded. I'm so happy...we have sound in both directions, and made 6 recordings laying the vocals tracks of mein Lina und mein Lara. I love working with these girls...they are so talented yet can take direction and work something to perfection.

Too, the T-shirts arrived today. You can see them modeled by my loverly Lara at the link to DijonStock that I posted perviously (and if you want to know what is DijonStock and what is NiceStock, I think I explained it in my first post or so).

So, the official party starts Friday, but I have a bunch flying in tomorrow. And again, tomorrow's gonna be a hard day making the final preparations.

The big bummer is Heinz and family are leaving tomorrow for a week in the Cannary Islands...I'd die to go, but still I think they'd like to stay...exceptin' the fact that I keep rubbin' in that the Germans lost the World Cup. Go figure.

Off to bed people.

Much peace and love,

David.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:44 pm 
Mistress of Dinicestock

Are you guys talking about ME?? what exactly do i have to do up the step ladder and how did you know i was short??
listen friend, and new friends, I have been roasting red peppers all day long (they are now juicily marinating in olive oil with pungent wee slivers of garlic) And it's too f****n hot to be roasting anything!!... but I am doing so because on sunday I shall arrive bringing as many 'provençal tarts' as i can fit into a ford ka, i promise they will all be hot and tasty, if a little flakey.:wink:
BUT
and this is a big but (NO JOKES) i still have no directions/address for nicestock... but i can see from the photos davey that you are very busy with bikinis and beer, so i'll probably just come upon some wandering hippies in a field making their way vaguely in your direction... shall i follow them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:14 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Hello jilly, and welcome to the forum. Given that you mentioned food in your very first post I hereby nominate you for Newbie of the Year honors. Anyone wanna second that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:24 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Hello Jilly,
Yes, I belive you are being mentioned as an artist and creative type heading to Nicestock. Just watch out for photographer types! :wink:

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:25 pm 
Mistress of Dinicestock

why thank ya kindly <blushing>
can't raise dc in france, he probably drowned in bee keenie heaven.
can you give me directions??
i'll send you a tart
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:10 pm 
Guitar Ho

I'm sorry, Jilly...we'll get you that address!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:28 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
jilly wrote:
can't raise dc in france, :lol:

I've heard that . . .

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:32 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Quote:
Anyone wanna second that?

Second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:46 am 
Wants You

Welcome Jilly. I think there's a prize for being the 650th registered user but I can't remember what it is. Probably a Nicestock t-shirt or something. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:55 am 
Guitar Ho

It's Officially Open

Welcome to NiceStock! We hit the live room at about midnight and jammed until 3 in the morning (nice to have a relatively sound proof room!). And what a jam! These guys are fantastic! This morning had my son Nathan at the drums, Robert at the keys, Anndra at bass followed up by Chris and Ronnie at the guitar...and what a guitarist! And me, running around like mad getting the sound we were looking for...well, we got it. I can't tell you how pleased I am with the room. We've tested individual instruments of course, but not a full band. More importantly, the players thought it kicked butt so there ya go.

So, we're open for business and the first day of NiceStock. Gotta run...more people to pick up at the airport. I can just feel it in me bones, we're gonna have a rockin' good time. I'll try and keep up, but already my photo log at the forum (you'll see the link in a blog post below) has fallen a day behind with the tearful departure of Heinz and his super family. I'll see what I can do later to catch up.

And...and Robert's wife Sharon is a chef and she made me breakfast and coffee this morning...man she makes a great cup of coffee. Thank you, Sharon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:46 am 
Guitar Ho

I see I've missed posting some of my blog, but here's the latest at least:

Recovery

Well, it took a day to recover...I'm getting old. But, I survived a 17 day non-stop party jam festival...whatever we were, but above all the opening of my studio...after months of hard work. I'm still physically exhausted. And sad.

I CAN'T STAND THE QUIET!!

Well, it's not exactly quiet--I'm mixing down all that great music we recorded. We were operating as a functional studio, people in and out, multiple tracks and takes. Now the real work is startin', and I'm lovin' it.

However, NiceStock was so much more than work. It was being together, sharing meals, talking through sunrises...Brother Ronnie calls me last night and said, "it was spritual, man". Ron played like I have never seen a guitarist play in front of me before...I don't mean some stunt guitarist running engrained heavy metal licks at the speed of light. Ron's playing is authentic. You feel that he's in the groove with everyone else and playing what everyone else is playing. And his work is all one take. No patches, no retakes...not even second passes just in case.

His good friend, and now mine as well, Robert was amazing on keys as well. Even more so his sense of composition and construction of music. Brillant, yet you couldn't met someone easier to work with. Further, Bobby has good technical skills and I relied and learned from him as we mixed, trouble shot the connections and set up configurations.

There was no doubt about it. These two gentlemen became the counerstones of what we built at NiceStock over these past 17 days. And upon this foundation we rotated through many talented people, and their stories will come.

Harry Bawbag could have been a cornerstone. But no. He was too busy floating in the pool having his head messaged while having his cigarettes lit and drinking beer. He looked like a friggin' movie mogul crime boss. We squeezed some great playing out of him though.

So...more to come about these wonderful people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:16 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
DCinFrance wrote:
Harry Bawbag could have been a cornerstone. But no. He was too busy floating in the pool having his head messaged while having his cigarettes lit and drinking beer. He looked like a friggin' movie mogul crime boss. We squeezed some great playing out of him though.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:57 pm 
Caped Crusader

David,

Can you PM me your telephone number.

Thanks Dude, Missing all you guys BIG TIME !!

Your Big scottish Pal

Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:58 pm 
Thief crusher

hy david sharon here im missing you all loads laurens missing sandy we had such a great time you and pats hospitality was amazing ,pat thanks for the perfume everytime i wear it i will think of my time spend with you. its such an anti climax being back in scotland but at least we have come back to sun shine 29 degrees but the lovely daughter of mine forgot to water my plants so ive spent all afternoon waterng them (the secert to the coffee is adding an extra spoonful honest)the house was still in one piece and it was actually tidy (amazingly so) we spend all aternoon looking at photos could you please down load my photos from your computor and send me the disc i shall be sending some stuff to cici later take care love to you all :wink:

http://www.myspace.com/higherpoweruk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:08 pm 
Caped Crusader

number is coming up not recognised.....BAR STEWARDS!
can you resend to clarify its the right number david.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:35 am 
Guitar Ho

I'm supposed to be on vacation....

And, honestly, when you are doing what you love to do...it's vacation. Nonetheless, I'm buried in these hours of music we recorded at NiceStock. This CD will make for some fine memories for all concerned.

Yesterday we added a few tracks to a cover that our German sister, Lina, had done of a Coors tune, At Your Side. I love it, but what a pain. I open the tune with acoustic guitar....Never be last when you are first! Regardless of the click track, it took forever to get the timing right to hit the intro of the piano. All in all though, it was an interesting experiment.

My German friends came the week before the offical start of NiceStock and of course, musicians being musicians, no one prepared anything in advance. Too, the girls had chosen things that at least I didn't know (though Tudan knew one of the tunes and laid down a stunning drum set). Anyway, what I did was import the original tunes into the DAW (digital audio workstation) and had the girls sing with the originals while recording them in separate tracks. Then we would come and back fill the musical tracks. On this particular tune, Robert, our resident pianist for NiceStock, didn't know it. So, I made him work it out on the spot. He did, but of course it was something different than the original--all the better. Then, I pulled the original to have others add their tracks. A beautiful bass interepetation was done by Anndra, and Jean-Christophe's drum track--which didn't exist on the acoustic version of the tune that I played for him to get him the idea of the song (I think the Coors must have released 6 versions of every song they ever did)-- was superb; he really has a touch with those skins. So, now we go to mixing.

I used my regular techinque: have the singer make at least three takes of the song. Then I go through, line by line, and select for that particular line the best of the three and create a composite track. This girl sings so beautifully, that often it was a coin toss as to which line to select. However that job has been done. The result was near perfection and her voice is so sweet--as it turns out so too the studio in which we recorded her--there is nearly no treatment required. I gave her a touch of compression on the way in, but other than that, not even EQ was required to bring out that sweetness. Right now I put on a little bit of delay, but I think I'll pull it in the end and just let her voice carry the song.

Maybe some of you listened to the rough mix of Love Makes Gods of Us All--an original tune written right here at NiceStock by Richard (Sleepless--I'm going to produce his CD), Robert (The Doc), Ronnie (Bond...James Bond), Chris (Drum--why Drum I never figured out as he's a bass player), my son Nate, and your's truly (I added the Bm to the bridge ). Well if you have, you're going to be surprized by the final product. We got some great feedback from the good people over at the forum, applied some of their comments, and the result I think is stunning. I'll try to find time to post it, but for now there's just too many other things to do. I really hope I can get this CD together while the spirt of NiceStock lives on.

Okay, I've spent enough time with you scaliwags...BACK TO WORK.

Love and peace to you all,

David.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:54 pm 
Thief crusher

Good work commander! look forward to hearing it

http://www.myspace.com/higherpoweruk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:35 pm 
Guitar Ho

News on the Les Paul...

Unbelievable. It's been found. It's not over yet, but it's been found.

Just for fun when I got back into my office on Monday, I checked the tracking. Whoa! Movement! It had been last updated on the 23rd of June. Then there it is, a series of posts starting on the 11th of July. Nearly 3 weeks of nothing and bang...long story short, it was sitting in a holding center in Coventry, England. Now mind you, Hairy (you remember Hairy Bawbag, no?) had been calling them regularly and had been told repeatedly that there was no change...including the dates for which there was movement according to the internet tracking!!

So, I call the shipper--and let's name them as I think this is someone you most certainly would want to avoid: ParcelForce--gives me a big run around. I finally demanded that she look for herself on the internet, but she says that she can't see anything and wants my name and telephone...now I'm getting irritated because they have all this info. I said, look, if it's sitting here in France, I want it delivered! That's when she admits it really is sitting in a holding center, but wasn't sure if they could find it. What??!!

So in the end, I call Hairy. Of course Hairy goes through the ceiling and just about gets thrown in jail for his verbal assult over the telephone with ParcelForce (Hairy's got a lot of tact...I must tell you the stories of all the problems he caused while traveling through France...he left a wake of irritated and/or pissed off French people everywhere he went, but I'll leave that for another time).

So again long story short, Hairy calms down enough to try again, and sure enough they found the package. They promise Hairy that some big muckety-muck is personally going to follow the package and they will send it free of charge via their special VIP don't know what it's called Service, and they further personnally promised on the lives all of their first born that it will absolutely, positively be here Thursday at 2pm. Hairy calls me, I said do it. So, all is right, no? No.

I look at the tracking this morning and it says: Returned to Sender. WTF??!! Hairy pops a gasget as he had seen it as well, and calls one minute after their hot line for their crack international investigative team opens. So another round of we'll call ya backs.

Story now is, not to worry. It's really on it's way to France. It's just the guy in the holding center made a mistake when he scanned the package and then further screwed it up when he tried to correct his mistake and put it on hold. Oh, Holy Mother of Jesus there has to be a chain of incompetents from bottom to top in this organization!

So...the saga continues. Me? No, I have no faith whatsoever that this thing will arrive tomorrow. May "the Force" prove me wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next