The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:58 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: fish
Machine type: AW2400
This tune was recorded and mixed on an AW2400. Composed and sung by by Keith McLinden, the guitar player in my band Elemental. Check us out on: www.elementaltheband.com

https://soundcloud.com/ivorylit/michael-brown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:25 pm 
Marker Magician

Thanks for the link. welcome. I enjoyed the song and the topic is certainly at the forefront of things in this era.

The mix is very "immediate". ie. all the parts are quite "up front". I might be a bit more liberal in my use of reverb and a few other techniques to build the impression of depth/distance in the soundscape. I personally prefer the vocals to be right up front, as you have them, in a mix and then other instruments be given other spots in order to stand somewhat on their own to get them out of the way of the melody or to provide counterpoint to the melody. I for example might develop the accordion sound you have in order to let the listener more easily focus upon that aspect when they choose to do so. Such texture gives a listener room to choose and so encourages repeat listens.

I am nit picking here.

How long have you been using the 2400? great machine eh? (Guess where i'm from. eh.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:53 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Shame disgusting things like this have to happen to inspire people, and I agree with Byron, any comments regarding quality or content would be nitpicking so I won`t :)
I may do after a couple of listens though :wink:
p.s.
how did you record the accordion? never had to do so myself so was just curious.
Good luck with what your doing.

T.

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GETYJUJKu0

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:44 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: fish
Thanks Byron for the helpful tips. I am pretty new at recording and those 'nitpicking' ideas are actually the very things I need to learn the subtleties. And yes I really learning to appreciate the AW2400 as I learn my way around it. It's much faster and more immediate than a computer DAW, and the sound is pristine.

As for recording accordian, T.Mac, it is actually just an accordion patch on my Korg Kronos. I used the volume pedal somewhat arbitrarily to give the impression of the swells of a real accordion.

Josh (from Boston MA)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:09 pm 
Marker Magician

T.Mac. wrote:
how did you record the accordion? never had to do so myself so was just curious.
Good luck with what your doing.

T.

Accordions have 2 sets reeds, on either side of the bellows. They are, of course, for the keyboard on one side, and the buttons on the other.

You could mount instrument mics on either side to get isolated signals, while allowing the player to work the bellows. Or you could put a single or a x/y stereo pair in front, placing the array so as to capture a balance of the two. Or you could space separate mics to each side, on their own stands. You may run into phase issues with the last method. I'd probably try the xy and perhapsfavour the keys side a bit, unless you are going for a drone-like effect.

It is easy in my band,as our guy does not use the buttons. I met a guy once from a fairly well-known indie band that had actually removed the bank of reeds on the button side, to reduce the weight of the instrument. I guess he knew the buttons weren't ever going to be played. Our guy uses buttons occasionally to drone underneath.

Using the volume pedal to swell is a good idea. I wonder if a real player would detect some abnormal flow. For my ear it was well done in this song. the patch sounded quite authentic to my ear. when i saw the picture on the link I suspected the sound may have come from patch, but that guess was based on a hunch, not any "revealing" abnormalities.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:24 pm 
Marker Magician

ivorylit wrote:
Thanks Byron for the helpful tips. I am pretty new at recording and those 'nitpicking' ideas are actually the very things I need to learn the subtleties. And yes I really learning to appreciate the AW2400 as I learn my way around it. It's much faster and more immediate than a computer DAW, and the sound is pristine.

As for recording accordian, T.Mac, it is actually just an accordion patch on my Korg Kronos. I used the volume pedal somewhat arbitrarily to give the impression of the swells of a real accordion.

Josh (from Boston MA)

Glad you are enjoying the 2400. While it is a bit clunky at the editing end of the process, it is "immediate" at the tracking stage, avoiding latency/driver conflicts/competing resources etc. I like the fact there is no visual wav, upon which to become fixated. You have to listen to glean detail and information.

Boston - I spent a week there a couple of years back. Bunker Hill area is where we stayed. Great city, Boston. We went one night to a folk club in Cambridge -- Passim -- was the name. Can't say i really enjoyed the particular show we saw, but it did appear to be a great place for artist to hit as they are either building their craft or, if already established, as they pass through on the way to "next weekend's festival".