The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:59 pm 
Adult.

Instead of continuing with the site request thread, I thought I'd start a more specific thread regarding my assembly of the McGyvered reflexion filter.

My bad, I failed to take regularly scheduled pics of the process by which this was created, but the damm thing was so simple that what you'll see was done in an afternoon...It was like a snipe hunt acquiring parts, and I did make do with less than I wanted, but I'm so far pretty darn happy, coming out having spent less than $70...

And we're off...but not by much... :lol:

First, the hardware;
Parts is pretty self explanatory, mostly stuff used for home improvement projects. I also used some Gorilla Tape, but any duct tape would suffice...Not having found the fiberglass rigid panel I sought, The carpet pad will have to suffice, with a backing of good old Reynold's Aluminum Foil...

Next, the software;
One heavy fiber carpet pad and two different densities of foam, the egg carton stuff actually came out of a gun case...Won't say where the gun is... [-X

A better look at the "wall" of the thing; Galvinized steel mesh fencing, the mesh is 1/2". Sturdier than it looks, especially when incorporated with the steel L and flat stock...
This stuff made it way easy to get the bolts through, and was already 24" wide...

A piece of the iron corner stock, for your aproval;
Amazing how convenient all the pieces went together on this project...I only slashed myself open once...

A look at how things went together. I apologize for not taking shots along the journey, but I was on a mission and just blasted through it...Note the 3/8" bolts and locknuts. They go through the iron stock, the wire mesh and the carpet pad. The aluminum foil was cut just short of that point, to facilitate easier removal if it were to become a problem...
And yes, the flat iron straps bend very easily but hold their shape. I'll also be able to adjust the radius as I see fit...

The business end;
The heavy 1" foam fits so snug that no adhesive was needed. Another layer of foam will be attached before the project is considered ready for field testing...

Detail of the carpet pad/frame/mesh construction. The black Gorilla Tape was used to secure the edge and eliminate the need for more fasteners.

And a look where the egg carton foam will sit. The sheet was only a foot wide, so I'll be glueing two together...

...And finally, a look at the back;
The foil gives it a nice heat-duct look, don't you think? I wasn't sure if the foil was necessary or even helpful, but I didn't want to take the chance. I can remove it a lot easier than installing after the fact...

So there you have it, kids. I'll be doing some recording fairly soon and will let you know how it works...

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:06 pm 
Adult.

Oh yeah, and I know there are going to be questions regarding installation. Well, until I figure out the mechanics of attaching a mic holder and such, the unit will hang from the ceiling and a boom will hover over the top or underneath. For mic'ing amplifiers it can sit on a chair or the floor, depending on...

Necessity will dictate... :idea:

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:31 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Cool. I'll probably follow your example.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:31 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Very cool Eric. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for the field test report.

Hey, didn't I see the bass in the background of the sixth pic in one of your Sircus photos the other day? Man, I do love those old Sircus pics. Makes me think I gotta track down an old shot or two of me wearing "new wave" eye makeup. I know my brother's got some. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:17 pm 
Adult.

Thanks guys...Yeah JM, that Spector was a gift from my present wife, given to me when she was still a groupie...Naw, had no bearing on my falling for her... :wink: I want a couple more, like a fretless, but I'll never unload that Spector...Or the groupie...

Yeah, you gotta post the makeup shots...I don't have any of me in mine from those days, but I usually only wore eyeliner... :shock:

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:11 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Wow, I wish my wife would've given me a bass before we married.

I think I have a pic of me in green eye shadow that matched the sweater I was wearing. :oops:

Anyway, back to the reflexion filter discussion. Further eye makeup discussion will occur in the "reveal your younger self" thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:56 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
Nice job! I'm betting it works almost as well as the "real thing". When I did an A/B test with my Reflexion there wasn't much difference. However, my room evidently has very little reflections (at least where I had my mic).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 pm 
Tinhorn

really cool.either my mascara is starting to run and mess up my vision or...........those are pictures of one well planned and executed fab job on a piece of equipment that I'd love to try..............

sincerely,
Charles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o #-o #-o

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:10 am 
Adult.

I appreciate the votes of confidence, guys...I'm sure that if I spent more time looking for the components I actually wanted, the thing would have cost me quite a bit more and weighed 2 or 3 times more...Now that I cogitate on it a bit, it can be made for even less, I think...

Hog, I got no idea how it would compare to the SE, but I already know that I'll have a marked improvement in my room--A 24' by 24' concrete cellar (wood rafters and joices notwithstanding). The room isn't as "live" as I make it out to be, but there's a definite open-ness to it. Preliminary tests without the egg carton foam (me singing Hey Jude at the top of my lungs alternately between the open room and the filter) proved to be very encouraging...

Charles, I didn't really sweat a plan at all, just drew the dammed thing in my head and did it...I've already got the idea for fabricating a mic holder, we'll see how it works without before I invest the effort...This home-job amazed me how easy it was--A little mechanical aptitude (and I mean LITTLE) goes a long way...

Eric

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:29 am 
Tinhorn

I'm impressed.........you're an ace Eric...........I'll bet it's gonna work great too..........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:11 am 
Wants You

Very cool Eric. All done before you turned into a pumpkin and no blood spots on the floor. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:01 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Looks pretty good to me Eric. A might cheaper than $300.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:27 am 
Adult.

A [-X warning [-X : If you plan on building something similar to this filter, do yourself a favor and pass on the aluminum foil. When I tried to use it mic'ing an amp, the foil created the equivalent of a loose snare...Or kazoo, depending on how high up on the neck you play... #-o

Other than that, hell, I don't know, I have to get the foil out of the damm thing and make a hat out of it... :oops:

Eric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:16 pm 
Adult.

OK then, I've used the stone kife and bearskin reflexion filter.

I wound up tearing the foil out of it for reasons stated above. Although there wasn't enough sound pressure recording with an acoustic guitar or vocals to cause the buzz, I plan to use it on amped guitars and perhaps to help isolate the kick at some point, so out it went...

The unit sat on a chair for lack of mounting hardware. I hung two SP C4's from a standard boom stand in X-Y config for acoustic guitar tracks. The mics were actually a foot farther away from the instrument than I'm used to, but the filter did it's job and allowed me to raise gain and get extra headroom to work with without extraneous noise. The difference was startling. MY CELLAR IS APPARENTLY NOT AS DEAD AS I THOUGHT!

EGAD! Now I want a ribbon mic!!!

Samples as I get around to them...

Eric

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:27 pm 
Tinhorn

really cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:22 pm 
Adult.

Just a sort of update;

I've made the acquaintence of a fairly successful singer/songwriter by the name of David Stoddard, who's won some pretty prestigious awards around the country, mainly in folk music circles. He also has a home studio and records a one hour radio show that's broadcast regionally...Really nice guy and a great musician and lyricist...Geno would love his piano work, I think...

Well anyway, he popped over the other weekend and I had a chance to show him my little hovel of a "studio"---He wasn't even all the way down the stairs before he hollers "WOW! You have one of THOSE!!" Heh heh, yeah, the proud Pappa in me got all puffed up, cause not only does the unit look good but it wasn't a waste of time...That was before he realized that my reflexion filter is home made...

...So I may be building another one...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:14 pm 
Adult.

Huh, time sure flies.

Over the last year and a half I agonized about how to mount the filter on some kind of stand...I figured up all kinds of elaborate plans and dropped them because they'd take up time and MONEY, and I subsequently wasted a lot of time in the process...

This was done last weekend---

It was embarrassingly simple. I had a 2 and a half inch u-bolt and stuck it on. It hangs perfectly over the top of a mic stand thread, and to keep it from slipping off I simply twisted the retainer ring from another mic stand on top--

The stabilizer was easy for me, because I just happen to have an old aluminium frame from a boat canopy and the fittings as well...All I had to do as modification was cut the rod by half. The fittings came with stay screws and so there was no welding soldering, wailing or gnashing of teeth--

It raises to about 6 feet and lowers about a foot more than you see in the photo, so it will be versatile...Finally off the chair.

Awrighty then, for those of you who demand closure, there you have it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
You got to make a dozen of 'em and put them on ebay. Profit!! 8)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Closure is good. Well done, Eric.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:11 pm 
Drivel Starter

Favourite food: Smoothie
Machine type: AW1600
Dat ting luk greyt. Inspyring.
Well concieved and executed Eric.