The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 pm 
Muse-ician

Machine type: Tascam
I recently removed a murphy bed and decided that would be a great place to put a studio...

Studio Pics

The problem is... even with my reference CDs, the amount of bass that gets amplified from having the monitors in the corners in incredible. I thought about building bass traps or buying them, but decided to play with the toggles on my monitors to "tune" the monitors to the room.

I was able to roll off the bass and also set the monitors based upon their location to the walls and everything sounded more "normal" - my question is, how much do you trust something like that or should I consider moving the monitors (although I'm not quite sure where I would put them. I really like this set up)

Thanks for your opinions.

Acoustic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:16 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
I have no bass traps in my crowded mixing studio but I do have several sets of different monitors I use to listen to the mix. A car stereo set flat is generally where I finally decide whether the mix is OK or not. If it sounds good on the road , it generally sounds good anythere. I also sometimes play the stereo track , close the door and listen from another room. Once you "learn" your monitors your mixes will be more consistant. Then you can concentrate on the small things that make it sparkle. I used an RTA to analyse my mixing environment and set a master EQ to fine tune my monitors. That really helped me hear more of the fine details like small pan adjustemnts and compression tweaking that has taken me 5 years to begin to learn.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.