The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: VHT Special 6 Guitar Amp
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:17 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
Santa delivered a Special 6 amp head in the week before xmas. It is a 6W/3W tube head with stock chinese tubes. it was supposed to come with a matching 1x12 closed back cabinet but it appears that santa blew his de-icing budget & so the cab is somewhere between Germany & here. The whole thing cost US218 (although santa ain't sayin').

Not having the matching cab yet, I am running it through a 1x10 Blackheart closed back cab. Wow, is all I can say. With the stock tubes it sounds great, if not a little louder than I would like - cleans are better than the dirty sounds, which suits me fine. After switching the stock 6V6 with a JJ & the stock 12ax7 with a Philips 12AT7, more wow. This amp delivers full, clean, rich tones (blackface, they say) that are way way beyond what I was hoping for. Furthermore, the 12AY7 reduces the volume considerably - it is supposed to reduce volume by 30% but I reckon it does more than that.

So, I now have it set up with the head next to where I play & the cabinet stuck in a wardrobe with a Shure 57 on it. I can get fantastic sounds without pushing the mic preamp into noisy country & am not heard in the next room (back-to-back closets so we are talking about 2 layers of plywood between the rooms). With the stock tubes, the amp needs a real push to get any dirt & dirt is almost non-existent with the replacement tubes - not for everyone but it suits me fine. One day I may buy another head & equip it with "dirty tubes".

I run the amp at 6W as the 3W sounds noticibly weaker (with the new tubes, this equates to 4W/2W) & do not sacrifice tone for peace & quiet). It reminds me of the clean tones I used to get from a a Mesa .50 caliber combo that I once had.

Somehow, I managed to buy a 2nd Blackheart cab at the same time. I am not sure how, but I did. I have tried the set-up as a 2x10 stack & it works great. I also tried micing 1 cab in the closet with a 57 & the other out in the room with a condenser. This was fun but the phase problems were a bit of a pain & am not sure if it is worth the effort.

So glad that I found this amp & have decided that the Little Lanilei 1/4 watt will get the heave-ho if I can find someone silly enough to buy it. I will probably put it on ebay but will feel bad if I dont say what an xpensive piece of crap it is. It is OK for lead tones (just OK) but cannot handle more than 2 notes at a time - it also has a weedy transisitor radio sound to it. Oh well, an expensive lesson learnt there. Although I have pretty much made my mind up, I will reserve final judgement until I run it through a 1x12 cabinet.

Cannot recommend the Special 6 highly enough. What a bargain !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:26 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi Oscar,

glad you found an amp you really like for your needs. =D>
Heard nothing but good things about the VHT!

You bought your cab in germany? :shock:

You wrote about a 12AT7 and 12AY7? What have you used?
An 12AY7 reduce the gain for 70%, so only 30% remains. The 12AT7 is more a tube for phase inverters or reverb driver, not so much usable for a tonestack as it lacks musicality. So I think it is worth to try an 5751 as a preamp tube, what will reduce the gain to 70% of a 12AX7. Even NOS 5751s are not so expensive.

The JJ 6v6 is more a 6L6 than a classiv 6v6 and can handle a lot more power than a normal 6v6. Tonewise the JJ has more bottom and clear highs. If you want more classic BF-Sound, give the TungSol 6v6 a try. I am a lot more happy with the TungSols in my Princeton, compared to the JJs I have in spare. If you want more chrunch the TAD 6v6 are a winner. TungSols are more for the clean headroom. But it is all a matter of taste!

Enjoy your new amp ... :wink:
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:27 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
santa baby!

you can always put a mild overdrive pedal in front of the special 6 for some grit...maybe a Sparkle drive 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:03 pm 
The Reverend

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owners-clubs/231757-vht-special-6-combo-owners-club.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:09 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Whoops. The preamp tube is actually a Philips Jan ECC82/6189W, which is a 12au7, not the others that I mentioned. In combination with the JJ power tube, I get a really full clean sound at very low volumes. I am considering getting another head (for US 150) & installing hotter tubes so that I have one amp set for clean & the other dirty.

I have an old (original) bluesbreaker pedal stashed somewhere in Australia & so if I can relocate it, I will try this out first. I used to stick it infront ofa mesa .50 caliber set to clean & it gave me a really nice dirty sound - I must be one of the only people on teh planet that did not like the boogie's overdrive !

btw, the tonelab's distortion pedal sounds suck & so I cannot use these. However, I can still get a great dirty sound from the tonelab's AC15/AC30 sims & so I am OK for now. For some reason the sims sound better straight into the yammie rather than being routed through the special 6. I did not expect that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:02 am 
Mr. Blues

Hi Oscar,

whow, Philips Jan ECC82/6189W are very low gain and are rare tubes. Logical you get a very clean sound and low volumes. Good idea to have a second amp with hotter tubes. Maybe a neutral booster before the amp can give you the same result?

When I had a POD X3 I too get some not so bad results when recording directly but never get a good sound through my Tweed Twin. This modellers seems to work great with neutral amps or direct recording but not with guitar amps that have their own primär sound.

Have fun with your amp, make some noise for us :lol:
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:10 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Bought the amp from Thomann in Germany. Good prices, nice people to deal with.....unlike some others (Guitar Center) who shall remain nameless.

I buy my tubes from Watford Tubes - they have all sorts of stuff & pretty good advice about what tubes suit what application. I also have a Philips Jan ECC83/5751 12ax7 & a Philips Jan ECC82/5184A 12Au7 as spares.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:53 pm 
Mr. Blues

Hi Oscar,

Thoman is the dealer I prefer when I buy online. They deliver 1 day after order in most cases. DHL is fast in germany :-). The return policy is fast and serious. Prices are ok. Do not know that they are shipping to Australia, too.

Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:35 pm 
The Reverend

actually I think he's here(somewhere)...

but Australia soon come.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:15 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Yes indeed, Rev. I am currently in the big sand pit of Abu Dhabi. My place is about a centimetre north of the first E33 on the map - as you can see it is actually out in the desert. "The horror ! the horror ! Exterminate the brutes !" as Mr. Kurtz would say.

However, in one month we move back to Australia. Needless to say, we are all looking forward to it. Although not my home town, we will be moving to Brisbane, which has a nicer climate - it is a toss up whether we will be safer amongst the crocodiles than we are here dealing with crazy 3rd world drivers.