The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:01 am 
The General

Now that I (at least temporarily) have the unemployment monkey off my back I decided to do something I've wanted to do for a long time.

I'm making broadband absorbers. Today I went out and bought a bunch of OC 703 Rigid Fiberglass and the most porous/breathable fabric I could find (speaker grille cloth).

The wife is going to help get me started with the fabric layout and the sewing machine. End result will be ten - 4" thick, 24" W X 48" L broadband absorbers. In my small mixing room this will allow me to partially treat all 4 corners, the wall I face when I mix, right & left first reflection points and the ceiling above my mix position.

Photos and sound samples to follow as I make progress.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:27 am 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
I recently added some room treatment to my set-up. I was going to build similar room treatments to what you're planning. For the porous fabric I was going to use brown coloured burlap....like what you can buy at a garden center. But, I ended up going with acoustic foam panels that were 2' x 4' ( 2" deep ). I glued them to 2' x 4' (1/8" thick) rigid boards which I then mounted on the wall. It really helped the acoustics in my studio quite a bit, by cutting down on the room reflections. I didn't mount mine in the corners ( which would make sense ), but I did put two overhead of my mixing console.....3 behind the monitors and one on each side. They probably aren't properly placed for maximum acoustic effect, but esthetic's played a part in my decision as to where to mount them.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the end result, and I look forward to your pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:29 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
utah wrote:
I recently added

David... where's the fridge?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:23 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
Yes...I knew I was missing something! My buddy Dave has a recording studio in the basement set up as well, where a bunch of us get together most Friday nights, to jam and do some recording. He has a small fridge in the studio, that's usually stocked with beer. And....we end up spilling a good amount of beer, as it seems that no matter where we put the bottles down....we knock em over! I'm surprised nobody has taken out his sound board yet, with a spilled beer...lol.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:10 pm 
The General

Installed floor to ceiling broadband absorbers in the front wall corners.

First reflection point broadband absorbers installed to my left and right.

4' X 2' X 4" broadband absorber installed in the back left corner with the center of the absorber at ear level.

Work still to be done:

I have some thinking to do about how I will mount the the back right broadband absorber since it is a short corner.

The last two broadband absorbers will be suspended from the ceiling (above my mix position, exact location determined by Ethan Winer's reflection free zone "mirror method") with a 2" air gap between the ceiling and the absorbers.

Initial Observations

Studio de Barte' is a teeny, tiny computer niche...absolutely not built for mixing without decent acoustic treatment. One could argue that even with treatment, the space is less than optimal but as home recordists, we work with the space and resources we have.

So.....it takes about 2 seconds to determine the room sounds better, even with the partial treatment. It is tighter. I can hear a stereo image and depth (most of it very bad as I review mixes I've done before starting the room treatment project). The sound is LOUDER and more direct sounding. Much easier to balance levels. I hear reverbs and delays much better.

My true measurement of success will be in my end product....my mixes. I'll post "before and after mixes" and some pics when I get over this bug and when I settle in with work.

I hope all of you are doing well, are healthy, happy and making music.

Cheers,

Bart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:47 am 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Any step in the right direction is good. Enjoy.