The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: 1ST STUDIO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:30 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
I found this old photo from back in 79. It's basically the first studio I put together. The recorder was a Teac 4 track reel to reel with the matching 4 channel mixer. Back then you had to flip a switch to sync the channels when recording. Then when finished, you flipped the switch back for playback. Those were the daze.

rz-land

Post subject: Re: 1ST STUDIO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
look at the stack on the left... =P~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:34 pm 

bokchoy wrote:
look at the stack on the left... =P~

Still got em.

rz-land

Post subject: 1ST STUDIO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:47 pm 
The General

Rust colored shag carpet........sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:02 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: I like Pasta!
Machine type: AW1600
Awesome!

There's a 8 track TEAC at a local store around me for sale. (used ofcourse) Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:05 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Cool nostalgic studio.

Intersting piano. My first recorder was a 4 track sos. Akai darn good recorder but to sos. you had to bounce the stereo track mix with a mono input track. Hard to use. Still have some very rare studio 15 ips. reels of James Taylor w/ Joni Mitchel , and some very , very rare , John Prine.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:12 am 
Marker Magician

Where did you acquire the Prine stuff Geno?

I've been pushing record on cassette players since my little brother got an old Phillips machine about 45 years ago. I had a musician friend who landed a job after highschool in a real 16 track studio, owned by his cousins. we used to go in and tinker after hours - nothing to show but memories from that period - and it was a bit foggy some nights at that. Many years later I became the default owner of a 2 track DAT machine - owned by the local children's choir. I started making recordings - did a couple of stints sitting second chair during the mastering of some straight to stereo recordings I'd made for local (high caliber) adult choirs - discovered WavLab 3.0 about 8 years ago and began learning about all those sound things that once seemed absolutely foreign - rented a G a couple of times for a few weeks to produce some demos for some kids auditioning for some good schools - began playing music a lot more with some good song writers-bought a 1600 - met you guys - read Bob katz's book - Had an opportunity come along that provided some decent coin to produce an album of our music, in memory of a man killed in an industrial accident- learned how to mix and prepare a recording, working under a strict deadline, with the unwitting help of many of the Dijonstock crew, and the links gleaned from this place, combined with hundreds (thousands really) of hours of listening and tinkering - bought a 2400 a few months ago - record a great variety of players of different abilities and genres - I'm hooked - looking forward to continuing this work for a long time yet - hope my ears hold up - wish I had more money to invest in the hobby, but don't we all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:29 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

I worked in a studio in Dallas part time being a grunt ( for free studio time ) but soaking up everything I could learn back in the mid 70's. There was an library archive of old masters there from which I "pirated" (borrowed for extended evaluation). Because they were set in 15 ips (the standard there at the time) , I could switch reels and capstans on my home machine and play them.

msg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:36 am 
Marker Magician

I'm jealous. Maybe some day... When was the last time you heard the tracks? Just him and a guitar?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:40 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Just him , a guitar and a wine bottle it was said.

it's been over 20 years since I ran it. Illegal Smile comes to mind as one of my favorites.

msg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:44 pm 
Marker Magician

Now I am really jealous. if you ever convert it, put me on the list as a "consultant" before you release the bootleg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:30 pm 

mrskygod wrote:
Intersting piano.

That is an Ivers & Ponds 5' baby grand. Back when I was a dumb college student, my younger brother was managing an apartment complex for his soon to be father in law. On the third floor, one of the tenents had this piano in their efficency apartment. The guy skipped town and left the piano. My brother calls and says if I move it it's mine.

(Ok Geno, this is the part where you want to close your eyes) I got a bunch of my friends and a pickup truck. We were all pretty wasted and were looking for adventure. We couldn't figure out how to remove the legs, but I learned quickly when I broke the front right one. Then when we had it dismanted, we had to figure out how to get it down 3 flights of concrete steps. We brilliantly thought of using a queen sized mattress we found. We scuffed it up pretty bad, but once we got it to my place and reset, a quick tune and it was no worse for wear.

I moved that thing 3 times (using a mover) and then I finally decided it had to go. We had no room for it and I wanted it to go to a good home. So, I put an ad in the paper and sold it. Hated to part with it, but have good memories.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:05 pm 
Tinhorn

Those concrete blocks with boards for shelfs reminds me of my college and early marriage days! Why buy furniture when you can use money for more GEAR!

dennyc765