The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Monitor advice please
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:39 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi,

as time goes on I think I am getting a more experienced amateur home recorder and budget allows me to get a pair of studio monitors within the 400-500 Euro/USD price range.

So far I had mixed with AKG 240 cans and Hifi-speakers. But I learned a lot of things and now I feel limited by the Hifi-speakers specially for adjusting the lower frequencies.

Limitation will be that I have to bring the speakers right to wall (3 big carpets on this wall of the room to damp reflexions). I will listen to them within a distance of 1,5 to 2 meters.

Thought about the KRK RP-6 G2 or Behringer B-2031 A Truth.
If I understand it right, the advantage of the KRKs will be, that the bass reflexion is build to the front, so this will be better for wall mounting.

I know that Robbie has the Truth and is happy with them. His mixing result are great with them. I read that they seem to sound more like Hifi speakers then flat monitors. True?

Yamaha HS 80: very big and nearly out of my price range
Are there any other tipps, what monitors are worth to check out, specially for wall mounting them.

I know it is the best to listen to different monitors to compare them, but the next bigger music shop is far away and I have no time to do a trip for this!
Thanks in advance
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:55 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
The Truths are as flat as can be in the price range. I reviewed (can you use the word ´view´ when you´re actually using your ears?) a number of mixes that I made before the Truths and they were just horrible. So, they gave me a honest sound, which I could improve from then on. Obviously I had to get to know them a bit, to be able to make mixes that translate better to other (coloured) systems. The mixing and masterinb bible by Bob Katz helped me a lot. His best advice was ´it´s all in the midrange!!´. And it is. Although one would expect the opposite, I got a far better defined bass sound with the right amount of higher harmonics. On stereo hifi speakers I would never have been able to make a mix like that.

Step in the car Andreas, come and listen. Coffee, cheese cake, Bratwurst and Bier is on me.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:09 pm 
Mr. Blues

Hi Robbie,

thank you for the answer!

Robbie wrote:
The Truths are as flat as can be in the price range. I reviewed (can you use the word ´view´ when you´re actually using your ears?) a number of mixes that I made before the Truths and they were just horrible. So, they gave me a honest sound, which I could improve from then on. Obviously I had to get to know them a bit, to be able to make mixes that translate better to other (coloured) systems. The mixing and masterinb bible by Bob Katz helped me a lot. His best advice was ´it´s all in the midrange!!´. And it is. Although one would expect the opposite, I got a far better defined bass sound with the right amount of higher harmonics. On stereo hifi speakers I would never have been able to make a mix like that.

Thats why I use my cans for most of the times, better than hifi speakers, but nothing for to do the stereo image and add depth to the mix!
Have you tried to position the truth positioned near a wall? Whats about the bass response then?

Quote:
Step in the car Andreas, come and listen. Coffee, cheese cake, Bratwurst and Bier is on me.

Thats the best offer you can give to me but I am sorry, so much stress the next days/weeks :? In 2 weeks we have 1 week holiday, but my wife wants me to do a trip along the Mosel to drink the really good wine there. Told here about cheese in Holland, but no chance this time :D

Be sure, I will be glad to visit you in future
Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:23 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Headphones most certainly give a totally different perception of a stereo image, besides, the colouring of the sound is far from flat. In that regard they can probably be compared to hifi speakers, designed to sound best within the limitations of budget.

Obviously the bass response, or any response, depends on positioning. It is part of the characteristics of what you´re using to determine the mix. I don´t think it builds up the bass too heavily. Besides, as you can hear in the Krimson mixes, I already start rolling off downwards gradually as of 200 Hz, so my mixes will never be boomy (boomy are the frequencies that are built up easiest, like 60 Hz or something like that).

Does your wife like coffee? What´s her email address?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:19 pm 
Mr. Blues

Hi again,

Robbie wrote:
Headphones most certainly give a totally different perception of a stereo image, besides, the colouring of the sound is far from flat. In that regard they can probably be compared to hifi speakers, designed to sound best within the limitations of budget.

Thats true and the reason I will get some monitors.
My AKG240s are really nice cans to hear mistakes and details of seperate tracks. Also they seem to be not too much colouring the sound. I really like them.
Quote:
Obviously the bass response, or any response, depends on positioning. It is part of the characteristics of what you´re using to determine the mix. I don´t think it builds up the bass too heavily. Besides, as you can hear in the Krimson mixes, I already start rolling off downwards gradually as of 200 Hz, so my mixes will never be boomy (boomy are the frequencies that are built up easiest, like 60 Hz or something like that).

Great tipp, As your results with Crimson are really great, I will give it a try.
Quote:
Does your wife like coffee? What´s her email address?

As far as I know my wife, the secret word will be coffee SHOP :D :D :D

Thanks again
Andreas