The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Live Recording on 2816
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:36 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Alas no 2816 forum, so i'm guessing this best fits in here?

Ok, just a bit of background.. I'm mainly a video guy, i shoot a lot of gigs on either a single pro-cam or backed up with a prosumer cam for a second angle. as i'm trying to get into it a bit more seriously, i realised the audio was the main thing letting me down.

So a friend financed a second hand 2816 for me, which we got in great condition including a flightcase for around £400.

Anyway i've done a few shows with it now, starting to get to grips with it and pretty pleased with the output, just want some general advise and tips etc.

Currently i've only got the unit, no expansion modules etc.. i'm thinking in the future of getting the ADAT card and then the behringer ada 8000 to double up to 16tracks simul record (and presuming the pre-amps on the ada are better than the yammy, the SOS review of the yammy kinda slated that aspect..) as at the moment i'm having to use groups.

Anyway the majority of stuff we record is metal/punk/hardcore in pretty small venues. my channel list is currently:

ch1 : grouped snare/kick
ch2 : grouped toms
ch3 : grouped vocals
ch4 : guitar left
ch5 : guitar right
ch6 : bass
ch7 : overheads left
ch8 : overheads right

no space for an ambience mic, so I use a standard electret on my camera and that does the job for the moment, but i plan to upgrade eventually.

as the inputs are post fader from the desk, i get a bit scared that the levels will clip as the red light tends to flicker quite a bit (the manual isn't exactly detailed on quite how much you want it to flash red on peak, its just something you learn i guess) but so far it seems ok.

obviously i'm relying on the quality of the desks/equipment that are provided, so there's not much i can do about that.. but advice on the recording side and then the mix afterwards would be great. currently i'm pushing each guitar to a pan of "9" from memory (ie a straight line) so there's still a bit from the opposite channel, same with teh overheads. obviously i can't do the toms in stereo as i'm grouping.

which instruments generally need messing with the eq/dyn the most.. i can't touch the kick/snare but i've put the presets on the rest of them to mixed success. same with effects, whats the best post effects to use and how much.. i have a bit of reverb on most of the channels except the cymbals at the moment.

anyway a quick link as to what i've got so far.. this was the first time i recorded, and then the first time i did a mixdown of the set.. i'm not natively an "audio" guy so i'm just stumbling along, but its a lot better than my old stuff so i'm happy.. but i'm going to be easily pleased!

and yes, its a girl 'singing'. :)

50 Caliber MP3

Cheers !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:05 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
JayX wrote:
Alas no 2816 forum, so i'm guessing this best fits in here?

Good idea Jay. Made one 2816 forum especially for you. However I hope it won't result into you talking to only yourself. I'm sure a number of functions are the same in the G or the 4416. Furthermore, besides the use of the tool, there's lots of info for you to get on recording in general as well. Welcome to the forum, Jay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:04 am 
Welcome to the Forum!

Haha when I saw it'd been moved to the 2816 forum, I thought "I coulda sworn there wasn't a 2816 forum!", thought i'd look like an idiot then!

Lets hope some 2816 kids come out of the woodwork. Its a cracking piece of kit, and now its affordable more people like me (ie broke people!) can get into this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:03 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
2816 VS 4416 chart

Nice to have you around. I have an AW16 and a 4416 so we can probably help you do whatever. I have never used a 2816 but it is more similar to the 4416 than the AW16. Less channels and no automix.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:52 am 
Lava Boy

Favourite food: Varies
Machine type: AW16G
Welcome JayX

I can't offer any specific advice but there was a super nice knowledgable guy on http://www.homerecording.com with the tag "Green Hornet" that has had a 2816 since they first came out. I really wanted the 2816 but had to settle on the AW16G for financial reasons.

Come to think of it I need to PM him and invite him over here.