The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Yamaha AW2816 Advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:24 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Seafood
Machine type: AW2816
Hi Guys,

Wanted to know if anybody any experience with using the Yamaha AW2816 because I wanted to find out how to use the efx's I checked out the manual but it was a little confusing .Thanks In advance for any advice you can share.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha AW2816 Advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:48 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
What do you want to do? Do you want to set it up so that several channels can share the effect? (send-return mode) or would you rather insert the effect into a designated signal chain ( insert mode), where it is only available to that specific channel?

The manual is fairly straight forward ( to a person who has been reading the manual for some years now). The manual descriptions are daunting though when first attempting to utilize the instructions.

I would conquer the send return mode first. Follow the setup instruction on p 83, making sure all the screens look like the illustrations. Each of the channels is allowed to contribute signal to a "bus". this bus carries the combined signal to the effect engine. the effect's output is in stereo. If you have your patch screens just as shown in the manual, the return from the effect is routed to the Stereo bus, where everything is mixed (recorded tracks, real-time inputs, Eff returns) and recorded as a two track "mix".

This may be just as confusing as the manual ??? Best way is for you to ask some questions. this will reveal what you do and don't know. there is no such thing as a bad question.

Tell us what you are trying to do and what you think you know as well as about what you are confused. You will get specific answers.

Don't be shy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:31 am 
Lone Star

Hi Byron,

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it . I would like to be able to use the AW 2816 to mix beats made on my hardware sampler that has 8 outs . I wanted to know if I would be able to use separate effects on each channel of the AW 2816 and also be able to use the same effect on two or more channels like you had asked me a about in your email. Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:18 pm 
Marker Magician

There are two effect engines, so you can't insert separate effect on eight inputs. that said, you can record each track separately and build your song using different effects on each track as you go. this would require you to bounce tracks. there are couple of hints in that regard, if you go that way. So I would describe options more fully if you want to try bouncing to build your tracks

Or

Use the Send-return mode and apply the same effect to multiple tracks. Because the send is going out via a bus, you control how much of the effect each input and/or recorded track contributes to the return as it is contributes to the stereo bus mix you will create.

Let me know how you get along.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:26 am 
Lone Star

Hi Byron,

Both routes sound really good but I think I want to go with the first option that will allow me to bounce as I record tracks.

Kind Regards

Rich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:39 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Very slightly off topic, as you know I don't use my desk as a recorder now but was curious, has anyone ever noticed any degradation in bouncing tracks ? Or has anyone ever been mental enough to see how many times you could bounce till it was noticeable?
Enjoy your day.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:36 pm 
Marker Magician

I generally don't bounce multiple tracks to a single, mono track via the method outlined in the manual. effects do not work in send-return mode during a bounce. You can however insert effects into a single track's chain during bounce. also the way levels are set iduring a bounce is critical to the integrity of the bounce. You would have to read in the manual what you are actually monitoring during a bounce. I forget right now.

What I more often decide to do is to select which set of tracks (3 or more) i want to move to a stereo stem, and then record just these tracks to the stereo track. then I move this stereo mix back to a pair of tracks to be included in the mix as a stem. With this method Eff are available to be used in send -return mode during the mixdown of the stem. And what you monitor during the mixdown is actually what the finished product will sound like.

as for degradation - ????? - I am sure if you did the math there would be truncation/rounding of the digital string, but my ears are not good enough to discern degradation. So I don't worry about that. Of course if the track was recorded too low and then you boost levels during a bounce you will bring up the noise floor. but if you have solid tracks with which to begin, then the bounce via a bus recording method or a stem created through a mixdown will not suffer to the point of degrading your final product significantly, or at all.

This has been my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:48 am 
Lone Star

Hi Byron,

I just saw your post many thanks for the breakdown I really appreciate it .